PDA

View Full Version : SSD + HDD issue

AlanMcKinnon
11-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Hey everyone. So I've installed my new SSD (a Samsung 830) to great success and I am very pleased. However, I've just reinstalled my old HDD (the Seagate 750GB that came with the computer) as a backup/data drive, and every time I boot the computer I get a message saying "Windows 7 could not start", but then hit continue and everything loads up as normal. It appears to me that my computer is checking the Seagate HDD for Windows 7 before it checks the Samsung SSD, even though I'm fairly certain that I have the SSD installed in the primary drive slot (the "R" slot, as it is referred to within the machine).

This is a rather small hangup, but is one I feel I shouldn't have to deal with. What exactly am I doing wrong? And how can I optimize the Seagate HDD best for it's new purpose as a secondary data drive?

All insight is appreciated.

finalhour
11-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Go into the BIOS and make sure your boot order specifies the SSD first. In terms of optimizing the Seagate I'll leave that to other users on here to respond to

Zygomorphic
11-12-2012, 11:13 AM
+rep @finalhour for the BIOS advice. Exactly what I was going to say. :)

As to optimizing the Seagate, my best advice is just create a folder to store your data. Supposedly, it is possible to move the My Documents directory under Windows, but everything I've heard says that it is a pain. :( Unlike LINUX, where you can mount the "/home" directory anywhere you like.

Area 66
11-12-2012, 12:51 PM
IThe users folder is a pain to move, but the my documents, photo, video , download are easy, you just create a folder in the seagate , you right click on my document , property, in location you have the option to move it

finalhour
11-12-2012, 01:59 PM
IThe users folder is a pain to move, but the my documents, photo, video , download are easy, you just create a folder in the seagate , you right click on my document , property, in location you have the option to move it

This is sound advice (I assume you mean telling Windows, which is on the SSD, to look for docs, pictures, music, etc on the D drive. That's how I have mine set up and it works very well :-) I wouldn't go overboard on limiting writes to the SSD though, I made that mistake and it's been a pain undoing them before I migrated to windows 8

Myk SilentShadow
11-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Alan: if you ensure your BIOS has the SSD set as your primary boot drive and you still get that message, go back into your BIOS, Hard Drive BBS Properties and force the SSD to be boot option 1.

Because you had Win7 on the HDD, Windows is likely searching for which drive to boot from as they both now have an installation on them(generally not applicable if you disconnected your HDD prior to install). if you want to ensure a clean load to your SSD every time, either get hold of partition software and delete the 100MB system Partition on the HDD, or use a Live Linux disk to do the same thing.

AlanMcKinnon
11-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the assistance, everyone, I've got it to work properly and it is splendid.

Myk SilentShadow
11-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Glad to hear it and happy to be of assistance :)