PDA

View Full Version : Seagate momentus slower over time?

iluvatar
11-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Hi,

I've been noticing over the past weeks, that programs don't start as quickly as they used to. I think the computer bootup is still quite fast, but once in windows when I open my browser it takes 3-4 sec to start, whereas 2 months ago it was instantaneous. I've always been so amazed that those hybrid hdd's are almost as fast as SSD's, but now it's getting annoying how slow some programs start. I have the 500gb/4gb hybrid version in a g53sw with windows 7 and 16gb ram.

Do you think it might be software related, that some update messed things up?
Any ideas are welcome :)

Btw: i've looked at disk fragmentation, but that's at 1% so I don't think that's the cause. Any other windows tools i could use?

SUKARA@ASUS
11-14-2012, 07:47 AM
System optimize, HardDisk defragment, and clear the IE cookie, those tool can be improved...i believe
So, you can plan try it and test again!

xeromist
11-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Disable as much as you can from the system tray and then look at the task manager to see what is running and what is taking CPU cycles. If you see something taking more than a few percent when your PC is idle that might be your issue.

If you notice any new clicking sounds when you access the disk that might be an indication that it is going bad.

Gorman
11-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Because of the way Windows works (especially registry entries and the way it handles storage) your computer will inevitably get slower.

Reinstall once a year and you should be fine.

xeromist
11-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Because of the way Windows works (especially registry entries and the way it handles storage) your computer will inevitably get slower.

Reinstall once a year and you should be fine.

If he's not ready to reinstall just yet do you know if something like ccleaner will do the trick?

Jaggz
11-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Also keep in mind if the OP has been opening up never used programs/files in more frequency than the past that the HDD's NAND cache will re-calibrate itself to the more used files which might slow other instances down as they get pushed out of the cache.

xeromist
11-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Good point; He might have just hit the cache wall.

iluvatar
11-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks for your answers,
There is no program taking up a lot of cpu cycles, so i don't think it's a processor performance issue.

I do hear some clicking noises from time to time, I hope that's nothing bad. But since I have to hard drives, I can't tell which of the two is doing it, sounds like it comes from both. But maybe that's just normal? I can only hear it, if i put my ear right where the HD is.

Maybe firefox has just been pushed out of the Nand cache (it's always installing a newer version..), so does anyone know how i can reset the Nand cache?

Also does windows have an onboard registry cleaner/system optimizer? I've heard that the external once do more harm than good.

Gorman
11-15-2012, 04:28 PM
If he's not ready to reinstall just yet do you know if something like ccleaner will do the trick?
It will help, but it won't fix the problem.

Zygomorphic
11-16-2012, 02:13 AM
What other programs do you run frequently? If the web browser is opened and left open (or receiving updates), it will be thrown out of the cache and not load so quickly as programs that are opened and shut frequently.