PDA

View Full Version : Poor SSD Performance?

Aubreyf
11-13-2012, 01:55 AM
G75VW-BBK5, installed a 512GB Agility 4 SSD for the Windows 8 boot volume.

Pretty sure I set up everything right, but the benchmarks I run aren't quite as exciting as other benchmarks I have seen for this drive. I posted all the details on OCZ's forums, and the general consensus was that I just shouldn't expect desktop performance out of a laptop. Any old laptop, granted- but surely a G75 can use a SSD to it's full potential?

Here's my benchmarks, and links to reviews of the drive which feature far better scores:
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?106276-Slow-512GB-Agility-4&p=763427

What performance levels are you guys getting from your SSDs?

rewben
11-13-2012, 03:58 AM
just ran the atto diskbench for the first time on my samsung 830. it's up to the expectations.

which version of RST driver are you using? you should know that when you play with intel RST drivers, the performance varies from one version to another, and the latest does not always give you the best speed (if you're talking about numbers only).

Aubreyf
11-13-2012, 05:00 AM
Glad to see your system is working great.

It seems that I may not be using the IRST driver after all - I had it installed when I upgraded from Win7, but Win8's device manager after the upgrade said that my SSD was using Microsoft drivers.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver last week with the latest V11.5.0.1207 from Asus, but the download page now says "If you want to upgrade your OS from Win 7 to Win 8,to prevent software compatibility issue, please do not uninstall the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. User only could install the new IRST driver directly to update." So perhaps I should just wait 'till they get the Win8 drivers figured out and I can reinstall it correctly. I am also stuck with Microsoft audio drivers which lack sub output, but waiting a couple weeks for proper RST and Audio drivers to be released isn't too big a deal for me.

rewben
11-13-2012, 05:18 AM
can you double click on PNPINST64.exe to run the installation? iirc 1207 is one of the RST drivers to give us good numbers.

edit: actually i didn't quite get the meaning of the disclaimer message so i went ahead and installed the RST driver on windows 8 lol!

Aubreyf
11-13-2012, 05:20 AM
Yes, the installation seems to run fine. Afterwards, I reboot, and everything is as it was - Microsoft drivers, slow SSD.

Is there something else I should be doing?

rewben
11-13-2012, 05:40 AM
uh? what does your device manager > ide ata/atapi controllers tell you? it should be intel 7 series chipset family sata ahci controller, right? then you should be running rst driver. the driver details of the ahci controller should be iastora.sys.

you can check with AS SSD Benchmark software (http://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?cat_id=4&download_id=9), and it should tell you which driver you're currently using. iastora.sys is RST.

Aubreyf
11-13-2012, 06:55 AM
Ah, thanks for clearing up my confusion on what device's driver I should be looking at.

It seems that I did have the RST driver working properly, but my speed is still rather dismal. Here's an AS SSD benchmark I just ran:

This does seem really slow, right? Definitely not normal for a mobile system?

ggBanks
11-13-2012, 07:56 AM
I don't know how did you do your setup and all, but for me when I put my SanDisk Extreme in the original HDD slot and moved my HDD to my optical bay, I reaches speeds of up to 500MB/s on my SSD and I never install the IRST bulls***. I have tested it on my previous laptop and all it did was to take space on my system, but not improve performance. Did you do a clean install or did you migrate your data to the SSD?

_
11-13-2012, 08:03 AM
+rep rewben for help.

Read performance looks about right but write looks a bit slow. What are others getting on Win 8 with the same drive? You need to rule out whether the drive might have a firmware issue with Win 8 that kills speeds so you need to compare to other Agility or Vertex 4 owners with the Everest controller. If in a 1:1 comparison you're still slow then it's something with your system as others are getting good performance from other SSDs under Win8.

(comparing to here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6143/ocz-agility-4-256gb-review/4)

rewben
11-13-2012, 09:46 AM
thanks, MarshallR@ASUS!

@Aubreyf, like what MarshallR@ASUS pointed out, it's best you compare to the performance of other owners. i'm not sure if it helped but there are a number of basic SSD optimizations you can do (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25194-Asus-G75-VW-Random-Freezing-quot-SSD-quot-FIXED!&p=183505&viewfull=1#post183505) (if you haven't done it yet).

bignazpwns
11-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Your drive is where it should be for that bench. That bench always gives pretty low numbers and the Agility 3's are slow crappy drives so they look pretty bad on that.

Aubreyf
11-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Ah! I think "Performance Mode" explains everything.

Most of the reviews I was consulting made no mention that the drive is expected to slow down considerably once it is over 25% full, so my benchmarks to theirs weren't really a fair comparison.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I'm happy now that I know I am seeing the kind of performance one should expect with this drive.

rewben
11-14-2012, 04:48 AM
@Aubreyf, yes you're so right about that :/ because most reviews try to be as informative and objectively written as possible. usually they only tell half of the truths in many ways. it's up to us consumers to dig deeper to find out more.

i will spend some time reading the comments section that follow most reviews. it's a hidden treasure :D.

bignazpwns
11-14-2012, 12:24 PM
@Aubreyf, yes you're so right about that :/ because most reviews try to be as informative and objectively written as possible. usually they only tell half of the truths in many ways. it's up to us consumers to dig deeper to find out more.

i will spend some time reading the comments section that follow most reviews. it's a hidden treasure :D.

Its common knowledge ssd's performance take a hit when they start to fill up. Thats basic SSd info right before trim.

rewben
11-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Its common knowledge ssd's performance take a hit when they start to fill up. Thats basic SSd info right before trim.

yes, you're right; but many still thought SSD is the same as HDD.

bignazpwns
11-14-2012, 05:51 PM
yes, you're right; but many still thought SSD is the same as HDD.

Yup and those people should not be using a SSD because they don't need the speed if they don't know what it is lol.

rewben
11-14-2012, 06:02 PM
nevermind; they will learn and catch up eventually :)

Aubreyf
11-14-2012, 07:31 PM
This isn't a gradual performance drop as the drive fills up, and has nothing to do with trim - it's a "feature" of the Agility 4 drive in particular. Significant performance cliff built into the firmware at the exact point the drive exceeds 25% and 75% capacity.

Still got an awesome deal on a 512GB SSD though, so I'm not complaining :)

GottiBoi55
11-15-2012, 12:37 AM
G75VW-BBK5, installed a 512GB Agility 4 SSD for the Windows 8 boot volume.

Pretty sure I set up everything right, but the benchmarks I run aren't quite as exciting as other benchmarks I have seen for this drive. I posted all the details on OCZ's forums, and the general consensus was that I just shouldn't expect desktop performance out of a laptop. Any old laptop, granted- but surely a G75 can use a SSD to it's full potential?

Here's my benchmarks, and links to reviews of the drive which feature far better scores:
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?106276-Slow-512GB-Agility-4&p=763427

What performance levels are you guys getting from your SSDs?

You could be experiencing a "Disk Alignment" problem, have you check that?
Simply download and run AS SSD: (link (http://alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?cat_id=4&file_id=9)) to check your alignment.

Aubreyf
11-15-2012, 01:31 AM
Yes, thx - things are properly aligned (1048576 / 4096)

rewben
11-15-2012, 05:04 AM
@Aubreyf, nice. just use it while it lasts :)