PDA

View Full Version : SSD recommendations?

Malrick1
05-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Hi,

I've been using the information on these forums for over 6 months now and it's been an invaulable resource. I'm pretty obsessive when it comes to tweaking my laptop in any way possible, but I do it's a hobby and I like doing it :P Anyways, I finally made an account so I could ask about getting an SSD.

I've heard from various sources that for MMORPGs, a SSD is the single biggest performance boosting upgrade a person can get. Also, I'm someone who prefers smoothness over attempting to get the "highest FPS". For example, I play with v-sync on in almost every game, usually using triple-buffering too. As long as my FPS remains smooth and doesn't jump all over the place, I'm usually fine (even if it gets as low as 20-25 fps). Stuttering, on the other hand, is the problem I notice most. If I could find some way to reduce the stutter and fps-fluctiations in my games, I would be extremely happy.

So, my question is: do any g73jh users here have experiance with using an SSD in your laptop and playing MMO's (Rift, WoW, etc.)? And if so, does anyone have any tips on what one to buy?

Thankyou for the help!

-Malrick

Six Foot Ginger
05-31-2011, 11:01 PM
I have used SSD in gaming laptops and it does make allot of difference. The battery last longer, games load faster and the systems just seemed more stable.
Mid you these where mac book pros but, if you want a good SSD Intel is really the only way to go. They may not be the fastest but, hands down have the lowest failure rate of any current SSDs out there.

SnakeEyes11
06-01-2011, 01:15 AM
I went with the Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD). I have 2 for my Desktop and one in my G53. Got it off Newegg and it has like 300 5 star ratings. I think thats probably the best.

Hondacity
06-01-2011, 01:27 AM
corsair force 3 120gb

550/510 r/w

217$ @ newegg

arstron
06-01-2011, 03:12 AM
I own 5 OCZ Vertex SSD's, not a single problem with any of them. I have two 60 gig in a raid 0 config my home desktop, my design computers at work have 30 gig vertex's in them, and my g73 has a 120 gig vertex 2. OCZ really seems to support their customers and has done a lot of work with firmware updates, that goes a long way in my book.

Kipper
06-01-2011, 03:44 AM
I have SSDs in all three desktops and in my laptop. Using Vertex 2, Corsair Force 120s, an Intel M25, and two of the OWC Mercury Pro 6Gs (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDMX6G120/) and have only had to RMA one of the earlier OCZ Vertex drives and that was painless. OCZ has great support that I can attest to.

I wish now I would not have bought the two SATA III OWC drives and had went for a bigger Vertex 3 now. Nothing wrong with them but as far as I can see the noticeable difference in speed of the newer drives is not noticeable, for me anyways.

Six Foot Ginger
06-01-2011, 04:01 AM
don't bother with OCZ, go Intel or Corsair. OCZ drives have the highest failure rate of any SSD.

Kipper
06-01-2011, 04:17 AM
don't bother with OCZ, go Intel or Corsair. OCZ drives have the highest failure rate of any SSD.

I have to agree, my old 80GB Intel is still going strong and I have abused the Corsairs with Imaging restores and they have never had a problem. I have been reading that OCZ has not always been using the best grade of chips in their drives but those are just rumors maybe.

Six Foot Ginger
06-01-2011, 05:08 AM
Those are not rumors, they are fact. They buy any ICs as long as they are fast.

manu72
06-01-2011, 07:47 AM
I'm pretty happy with my Corsair Force 120.
And yes, for a MMORPG that has loads of hdd abuse due to zoning, scenery and character loading, etc, then YES a SSD is a major upgrade.
The major pain is that MMORPG tend to be huge... iirc my Age of Conan Folder was like 35GB and growing...

reiyu
06-08-2011, 08:03 AM
crucial M4. fastest out there.

Six Foot Ginger
06-08-2011, 04:25 PM
sort of kind of... not really

Nervosa
06-09-2011, 01:17 AM
In general do SSD's have a higher failure rate then your slandered platter drives?

Six Foot Ginger
06-09-2011, 06:23 AM
they are more reliable for the most part, no moving parts means no mechanical breakdown.
most hard drive failures are mechanical failures.

manu72
06-09-2011, 06:30 AM
In general do SSD's have a higher failure rate then your slandered platter drives?

Although in theory the SSD should have lower failure rate due to no moving parts, I do think that actually they tend to fail more often.
The SSD manufacturers forums are rather full of complains, most of them being in the line of: missing drives at boot (no ssd detected), clear drive (apparently no data on the drive even so it was ok at last boot) and the likes.
And when i say manufacturers forums i mean Intel included, even tho they are most reputable...

Six Foot Ginger
06-09-2011, 06:39 AM
if you look at Rated hours of operation the SSDs should still out last the Hard drives... in most cases.

major difference being, data recovery from an SSD is almost impossible and data on a hard drive can be recovered.

Chastity@ASUS
06-09-2011, 06:59 AM
Also the SSD technology is relatively new and the manufacturers are still pushing the tech to its limits :)

Six Foot Ginger
06-09-2011, 02:51 PM
SSD tech is really not that new as it is really just a big flash drive and those have been around since 2000... I think.

manu72
06-10-2011, 07:33 AM
oh yea, and HDD were introduced in 1956 by IBM...
and if you actually believe the MTBF means something you are wrong.
For example a random consumer HDD is rated at 500000 hours MTBF, that means 57 years.
A SSD might be rated at 1000000 or even 2000000 hours mtbf. But DO you honestly believe that it will last 100 or 200 years? Tell that to the guy that started his laptop and just got the message "Invalid boot device" because his SSD drive just got mysteriously blanked.