PDA

View Full Version : Webcam drivers for G53JW

Gorman
11-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Attempting to install the drivers listed on the asus driver list for the G53JW gives me the "error" of "USB2.0 VGA/1.3M/2M WebCam". Not very descriptive, I know.

Googling around lead me to several alternate drivers to try, all of which say the same thing. People seem to think the only way to get drivers to work is to do a factory reset...

Various other things came up;
"No, NO, NO,... I had the same problem3 months ago. the real problem is the asus cam is turned off. once you go in and turn it on then the driver will show up and the hardware will be located. Geek squad at Bect buy showed me how to turn it on and change the defalt to turn on with the comuter so i really don't remember how sorry wish I did."

"Here's the Dealio.. The ONLY way to fix this issue 'says ASUS'(which I believe sadly) is to purchase a 'recovery disk' from them to install ASUS's version of Windows for drivers to be installed correctly.. OR Send it into them because they're dirt bags for putting a 2.0Mega Pixel (piece of @#^) webcam into a gaming laptop worth over $1,200. Thanks ASUS for messing us over. Problem solved, thanks to tech support for nothing.. (Sadly I have tried everything else as well, no driver will work. The Camera is UNABLE to be found anywhere, AT ALL.) Good day gentleman. "

Tried to install the Chicony drivers and LifeFrame utility too, but was met with failures each time.

G53 users, what utilities control the webcam? How the hell did you get it to work?

Zygomorphic
11-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Chicony is right. My webcam works under LINUX (G53SX) as well as under Windows. Does the USB2.0 webcam appear under Device Manager? If so, try installing drivers manually from Windows.

Gorman
11-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Nope, it does not.

Gorman
11-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Daily Bump MK1

dstrakele
11-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Here's a couple of threads on a similar issue:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/523091-g73hj-webcam-drivers-problem.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-cannot-detect-the-built-in-webcam-on-my-asus-laptop.155636/

It would be interesting to see if your WebCam appears as a "Ghost Device" as discussed in the 2nd thread. Unfortunately, it is also possible it doesn't appear in Device Manager because it is defective.

I'd probably try reinstalling the Intel Chipset driver with -overall switch. UNinstalling the Intel Management Engine Interface driver was also an unusual solution offered in the first thread.

Also, see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11561-Asus-G53SX-unable-to-enable-webcam. It mentions the possibility of the Webcam being disabled in Power4Gear.

Gorman
11-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Tried tried tried.

My webcam doesn't show up in device manager, not even as a hidden device. Nothing in BIOS etc. Tried installing that power4gear, but it didn't help.

Any other ideas?

I really hope this isn't a(nother) hardware failure... I don't want to RMA for a 5th time. They always dirty up my laptop and try to boot it with one HDD unplugged and do other silly things...

dstrakele
11-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Unfortunately, I think we need to gather around and pay our respects to @Gorman's Webcam. It was a good little Webcam. Perhaps @chrsplmr can say a few words....

Gorman
11-14-2012, 04:49 PM
It helped me log in for a year or so... Until the day the service centre got their hands on it... RIP

*awaiting chrsplmr*