PDA

View Full Version : G75 upgrading the wireless card question and also 3d external monitor question

colpolite
11-14-2012, 07:41 PM
How are ya guys? Just a couple questions

How hard is it to upgrade the wireless card on the G75? Does it require a disassembly like on the G55 where you have to overhaul the system?

I know 120hz 3d vision monitor does not work with hdmi 1.4a if the computer has optimus but since the G75/G55 is blessed w/o optimus, can we just purchase a 3d external monitor and use it with the g55/g75? Has anyone tried it yet?

Thanks

Shawnnepc
11-14-2012, 08:03 PM
How are ya guys? Just a couple questions

How hard is it to upgrade the wireless card on the G75? Does it require a disassembly like on the G55 where you have to overhaul the system?

I know 120hz 3d vision monitor does not work with hdmi 1.4a if the computer has optimus but since the G75/G55 is blessed w/o optimus, can we just purchase a 3d external monitor and use it with the g55/g75? Has anyone tried it yet?

Thanks

The wireless card is not in the user serviceable area on the laptop. You risk voiding your warranty if it is improperly done.

@3D.

Depending on the 3D monitor you may need to purchase the NVISION 3D kit.

If the monitor has a built in 3D emitter you will be OK.

If the 3D monitor DOESN'T have a 3D emitter built in you will need to purchase the 3D kit.

** FULL 3D Vision support ^^

colpolite
11-14-2012, 11:15 PM
TY for replyin Shawn. Regarding the wireless card, can a professional reseller like xoticpc replace it safely and still be covered by warranty since they offer upgrades on the wireless card since the Atheros card default are pure horror lol

cl-scott
11-15-2012, 12:02 AM
TY for replyin Shawn. Regarding the wireless card, can a professional reseller like xoticpc replace it safely and still be covered by warranty since they offer upgrades on the wireless card since the Atheros card default are pure horror lol

In a case like that Xotic would be essentially assuming the warranty for your unit. If there was an issue with it, you'd have to send it back to Xotic, and then if it wasn't something they could fix, they'd have to revert the unit back to stock condition and send it in to us. Based on the experiences of a couple Xotic customer's I've worked with regarding RMAs, it adds about an extra week on both ends for shipping. Not really sure they'd be willing to install just a wireless card however. Too much risk for way too little reward would be my guess at their reaction, but can't hurt to ask. Well, maybe if they hit you with a stick. :)

It's something I'd like to see be offered, allowing people to send units in to Asus repair centers to have upgrades performed, like the wireless card... However there are probably a number of primarily logistical issues with that which make it a not so appealing prospect to the people who get to make those decisions.