PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your laptops cool?

arkmnrd
11-16-2012, 05:22 AM
Hi guys,

A bit new here, I was just wondering how you help keep your laptop cool aside from the oversized fans and vents the g series
has. Do you use laptop coolers or just elevate the laptop?

Another question is that I own a g55, I'm not a particularly techie person so I'd like to ask where is the air intake of this laptop?

finalhour
11-16-2012, 05:27 AM
Umm i have a g75, but vents are wherever the fan grills are...i mean it's kind of a no-brainer dude..no offense meant!

Holy
11-16-2012, 05:41 AM
the intake on the g75 is the bottom and the perforated speaker grill on top. my laptop have actually never seen higher that 60c

finalhour
11-16-2012, 05:46 AM
the intake on the g75 is the bottom and the perforated speaker grill on top. my laptop have actually never seen higher that 60c

He clearly said he has the G55 so that doesn't help him...

StereoROG
11-16-2012, 05:48 AM
At the back you have two fan grills, one intakes the other blows the hot air out.

No need to elevate as the air intake is not form the bottom. what you can do is maintain it monthly or every two month from dusts of course depends of your environment.

Not much you can do about cooling but as default its much better than other laptops unless your is overheating.

Thanks,

SUKARA@ASUS
11-16-2012, 05:50 AM
The picture for you reference

arkmnrd
11-16-2012, 05:53 AM
Umm i have a g75, but vents are wherever the fan grills are...i mean it's kind of a no-brainer dude..no offense meant!

None taken. What I meant to say is that do you guys use other methods to help in cooling your laptops? I'm not very familiar with temperatures but whenever I play games, my CPU gets to about 70-75 degrees and GPU at around 69 degrees. that's in high settings for dota 2, borderlands 2, dishonored and etc. I'm not sure if these numbers are okay, but I am a bit worried.

arkmnrd
11-16-2012, 05:55 AM
The picture for you reference
13860 THanks, for this. I do know about the rear vent, I'm just confused on where the intake of the machine is. Is it below the laptop or is it through the keyboards? Because I do know of other laptops that has air inflow by the keyboard

arkmnrd
11-16-2012, 06:00 AM
At the back you have two fan grills, one intakes the other blows the hot air out.

No need to elevate as the air intake is not form the bottom. what you can do is maintain it monthly or every two month from dusts of course depends of your environment.

Not much you can do about cooling but as default its much better than other laptops unless your is overheating.

Thanks,

Missed this one. This clears my question up. Thanks!

fostert
11-16-2012, 06:23 AM
This problem was solved a long time ago for the G74: some people (myself included) thought the intake was one of the grills at the back, with the exhaust being the other grill. That is clearly wrong.

The intake has been shown to be on the laptop's top side, with two small grills located under the open screen right up against the hinge, and next to the two speaker grills (which look nearly identical). I've sucked in clouds of fog from dry ice pellets here just to prove it to myself.

I'm not certain whether this applies to the G75, but it likely does since the chassis did not undergo a real upheavel in design between the two models.

arkmnrd
11-16-2012, 06:55 AM
Yeah I thought the design was the same for all of the g series laptop. With this in mind, does this mean that cooling pads don't help?

Area 66
11-16-2012, 12:21 PM
A small $ 10 table top fan for move the air around the laptop help a lot

Just me morning sense of humor

mrwolf
11-16-2012, 01:36 PM
lol i dont know about you guys, but i always overclock my G75 highhly when playing games and my temps when playin Ps2 for example hit like 75-80 depending on how long i play.. So i needed a solution and found that drilling holes into the back cover where the main fans are helped alot ! Before when i was getting 75+ temps, now it wont even go over 70 :D..
But i highly reccomend adding some custom filters in there if you decide to do this as the dust will ruin ur system over time.. Oh ye and also it voids warranty :o

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57333195/IMAG0055.jpg

Now i can do some hardcore gaming fully OC'd :D mack it outt

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57333195/IMG_20121026_150848.jpg

StereoROG
11-16-2012, 03:01 PM
SWEEEETTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!

You got a awesome setup there...never seen that mouse before...

Cheers,

Skull6
11-16-2012, 03:15 PM
My kids got a targus chill mat for me when I purchased my G75. I probably don't need it to keep this laptop cool, but I look at it like an insurance policy--it can get pretty hot where I live, & it's quite dusty here, so anything I can do to help keep this beast of a laptop alive is OK with me.

& I clean my fan screens monthly.

bignazpwns
11-16-2012, 03:26 PM
SWEEEETTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!

You got a awesome setup there...never seen that mouse before...

Cheers,

Don't get attached to it. I had one and a side button on it stopped working after 4 months. Then it took 85 emails and 3 complaints to the BBB and 6 months of threats before i got fed up emailed for some legal advice sent them the emails and the honored their warranty and then it took them a month to send back a used replacement that again broke in a month.

Currently using a Razer Naga epic. Fits very nice the sides change easy and work awesome and never had a problem with it. Its over priced but so is the rat 7 but at least this works.

StereoROG
11-16-2012, 04:53 PM
That's a lot to go through for a mouse man but I understand you pay this much and you expect the after sale service so disappointing.

I'm using the Asus mouse it's ok, although i have my eyes on a razer orochi :) ...thinking twice money wise.

Thanks for your feedback,

Moradeth
11-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Don't get attached to it. I had one and a side button on it stopped working after 4 months. Then it took 85 emails and 3 complaints to the BBB and 6 months of threats before i got fed up emailed for some legal advice sent them the emails and the honored their warranty and then it took them a month to send back a used replacement that again broke in a month.

Currently using a Razer Naga epic. Fits very nice the sides change easy and work awesome and never had a problem with it. Its over priced but so is the rat 7 but at least this works.

Keep an eye on woot.com, they'll do specials on Razer gear as a category and sell new and refurbs for a few days. They're pretty good refurbs too, and it's usually about 1/2 the cost. I love my Naga Epic :) if you want changable plates, get the Naga 2012 or the Epic if you want wireless.

mrwolf
11-16-2012, 06:54 PM

Yea i did some research into the RAT7 before i bought it and heard alot of people had issues with things breaking and not lasting long. However they have now released a new RAT 7 with 6400dpi which has a much improved build quality and lasts mucchhh longer :D The old ones had alot of issues which have been fixed now :) so if you guys wanna game with a RAT instead of a little Mouse ! go for it ! Best mouse ive ever used

chiilin
11-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Yea i did some research into the RAT7 before i bought it and heard alot of people had issues with things breaking and not lasting long. However they have now released a new RAT 7 with 6400dpi which has a much improved build quality and lasts mucchhh longer :D The old ones had alot of issues which have been fixed now :) so if you guys wanna game with a RAT instead of a little Mouse ! go for it ! Best mouse ive ever used

I never heard of these until I saw your post here along with the picture. Cool looking mouse! I've researched them a bit since seeing this and I find that apparently the newest one is the RAT 9. Or maybe it isn't the newest, IDK, but it is wireless. Have you heard anything, good or bad, about this RAT 9?

(Sorry for hijacking the thread) :rolleyes:

chiilin
11-16-2012, 10:50 PM
lol i dont know about you guys, but i always overclock my G75 highhly when playing games and my temps when playin Ps2 for example hit like 75-80 depending on how long i play.. So i needed a solution and found that drilling holes into the back cover where the main fans are helped alot ! Before when i was getting 75+ temps, now it wont even go over 70 :D..
But i highly reccomend adding some custom filters in there if you decide to do this as the dust will ruin ur system over time.. Oh ye and also it voids warranty :o

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57333195/IMAG0055.jpg

Now i can do some hardcore gaming fully OC'd :D mack it outt

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57333195/IMG_20121026_150848.jpg

I'm just offering some "off the top of my head" thoughts about your drilling of holes where you did. So, just my thoughts: I'm thinking that possibly you may not be getting as good of results as you think. Well maybe you are on your GPU, if it is showing that it now runs 5-degrees cooler, assuming the device that actually measures the GPU temp is really located on the GPU or very close to it (I'm not sure how they measure it, maybe you do). They may measure the temp somewhere else in the case and then extrapolate what the GPY temp "should" be based on the temp is where they are measuring it; IDK.

But this is my point: we know that the hot expelled air exits the rear of the G75. So, the unheated cool air needs to enter ahead of any heated elements (CPU and GPU heatsinks); pick up heat from them, and then expel out the rear. I'm guessing that drilling holes where you did will introduce cooler air directly to the fan, then blow right out the back of the G75 before passing by the hot elements. In this case it wouldn't help, and could actually hurt as now less suction and therefore air will pass by the GPU and CPU to cool them.

I'm not saying one way or another because I don'tknow the exact airflow patterns inside the G75, or what method they use to report the temperatures; I'm just suggesting some food for thought to you (or anyone else contemplating this). There might be a good reason for this to void the warranty. :p

StereoROG
11-18-2012, 06:49 PM
I understand where your coming from.

But there is something called heatsink please go to the below link to see the inside of the G75

http://computerupgradeking.com/wiki/index.php?title=ASUS_G75VW_Disassembly_Manual

i'm 99% sure that only the CPU and GPU needs cooling in a laptop and the cooling is done by cooling the heatsink attached ( connected or whatever you want to cal it ) to these components of course not forgetting the heatsink compound which plays a big role conducting the heat.

So conclusion cool up the heatsinks = cooling the components = cooler CPU, GPU = better performance overall = more room for OC = Gr8 success

Thank you

chiilin
11-18-2012, 07:28 PM
StereoROG: was that comment about the heat-sinks directed at me due to my comment about mrwolf's drilled holes?

You're right that the CPU and GPU are by far the biggest heat generators inside the case, and they are cooled by their [properly] pasted on heatsinks. The more [cooler] air you can pass by the heatsink fins the cooler your system will be. My only point with mrwolf is whether his drilled holes really causes more cool air to pass by the heatsinks, or not.

bignazpwns
11-18-2012, 08:02 PM
I understand where your coming from.

But there is something called heatsink please go to the below link to see the inside of the G75

http://computerupgradeking.com/wiki/index.php?title=ASUS_G75VW_Disassembly_Manual

i'm 99% sure that only the CPU and GPU needs cooling in a laptop and the cooling is done by cooling the heatsink attached ( connected or whatever you want to cal it ) to these components of course not forgetting the heatsink compound which plays a big role conducting the heat.

So conclusion cool up the heatsinks = cooling the components = cooler CPU, GPU = better performance overall = more room for OC = Gr8 success

Thank you

Forgetting about voltage regulators? Chip set and other stuff?

Cooling will only improve performance if your system is throttling its self from heat. If not it wont do anything. It wont give you any extra life on your components unless your running them at 90c for years at a time. Remember most of the components were exposed to about 140c temp when they were made for about 4-5min .

And more overclocking? Maybe if you got a cpu with a unlocked multi because the G75 wont pull over 110mhz on a good day and any laptop's stock cooling can cool that. Even crapple with their tiny heatsinks.

Zygomorphic
11-18-2012, 08:05 PM
How do I keep mine cool...? Don't game? :D :D ;)

@mrwolf's design will help. The fans are right under there, though it does mean that air will not be drawn in over the RAM and HDD, which can make the HDD warmer (unless he has an SSD). Some of the G-series notebooks take in air from the speaker grille on top, so keep that in mind.

mrwolf
11-18-2012, 10:07 PM
I never heard of these until I saw your post here along with the picture. Cool looking mouse! I've researched them a bit since seeing this and I find that apparently the newest one is the RAT 9. Or maybe it isn't the newest, IDK, but it is wireless. Have you heard anything, good or bad, about this RAT 9?

(Sorry for hijacking the thread) :rolleyes:

I havnt heard much about the rat 9 but i believe it is just as good but wireless.. I was gonna get that as i thought i was newer but apparently it exactly the same as the rat 7 but wireless.. since i have a laptop i kind prefer a wired one rather than a big wireless hub on my table lol.. Good mouse tho :)

fostert
11-19-2012, 05:15 AM
Yeah I thought the design was the same for all of the g series laptop. With this in mind, does this mean that cooling pads don't help?

I tried my student's Antec dual-fan pad once with my G74. It made eseentially no difference in CPU temps; maybe dropped it by 1 degree, but the fluctuations in its temperature over an hour were the same so if there was a drop it was statistically insignificant. I wouldn't bother with a cooling pad for the G74.

Zygomorphic
11-19-2012, 11:23 AM
I tried my student's Antec dual-fan pad once with my G74. It made eseentially no difference in CPU temps; maybe dropped it by 1 degree, but the fluctuations in its temperature over an hour were the same so if there was a drop it was statistically insignificant. I wouldn't bother with a cooling pad for the G74.

That is about what I experienced. Probably because most of the airflow comes from the speaker grille on the top of the notebook, where the fan doesn't help. :D

StereoROG
11-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Yes my comment was attended to you.

i guess drilling holes make a slight difference, but only if you want to throw your warranty away to gain 5 to 10 degree Celsius.

Red in another forum a guy drilled and custom made a fan pad.

Anyway thanks for your patience on this matter.

Cheers,

StereoROG
11-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Thats why your an orange belt, if we were debating i would be on my knees begging for mercy :P

You said it all bro.

Cheers,

arkmnrd
11-19-2012, 04:27 PM
That is about what I experienced. Probably because most of the airflow comes from the speaker grille on the top of the notebook, where the fan doesn't help. :D

With this in mind, will having a fan atop the speaker grills or by the air intake at the rear vent of my g55 help in cooling vs a cooling pad?

mrwolf
11-19-2012, 05:44 PM
i dont think so as there is not ventilation area for air to flow into those fans, hence my drilling holes solution lol.. although a fan that is near the rear area may help a little by dissipating the heat more effectively..

chiilin
11-19-2012, 08:44 PM
i dont think so as there is not ventilation area for air to flow into those fans, hence my drilling holes solution lol.. although a fan that is near the rear area may help a little by dissipating the heat more effectively..

I didn't really realize where the fins for the heat-sinks were until recently; I guess the fins for each heat-sink is actually right there at the rear, just inside the exhaust vents; and the heat is transferred from the CPU and GPU locations from further inside the machine to the fins at the back through copper tubes. If this is correct, then you really are seeing cooler temps with those holes you drilled, because the "heated" elements we are trying to cool are the heat-sink fins which are located at the very back, so the cool air that comes in those holes blows through the fins and cools them before exiting the system.

mrwolf
11-19-2012, 09:00 PM
yup, if i leave my window open with cool air coming in and OC my system and play some games, my temp doesnt even touch 70 lol fully OC'd.. So yea im sure it works now.. Asus should have included that in their "intelligent cooling" tech cz to be honest it doesnt seem very intelligent to me at all as it is :P

Zygomorphic
11-20-2012, 01:05 AM
@chillin, +rep! That is what happens. The laptop uses heat-pipes to "pipe" the heat from the thinner portions of the computer to the thicker. Think a solid-material version of liquid cooling. Same reason as why liquid-cooled GPUs can be single-slots, while air-cooled are 2-3 slots for the same performance.

Fanty
11-20-2012, 08:04 PM
@MrWolf:

I wonder if my G75 is ok.
A month or so ago I played around with OC and played WOW with 720/1650.
Problem is, I start getting artefacts when reaching like 74 or 75 degrees. And if I continue the game crashes like 10 minutes later. (afterburner says, the maximal temperature was 75) :(
Now I wonder if I will get artefacts in summer, even non-OC. Because I reach 71 degrees non-OC and in summer time, room temperature will be about 4-5 degrees over what its now.

I also wonder why its getting artefacts from 74 degrees. My G73Jh was at constant 80 degrees while playing WOW.

What do you think, will there be artefacts by 74 degrees non-OC? :(

Zygomorphic
11-21-2012, 12:36 AM
@Fanty, which drivers are you using? I recommend the latest from nVidia, not the ones of ASUS's website.

Fanty
11-21-2012, 05:08 AM
I am using 306.97, wich runs rather good with WOW (actually it reaches the FPS, I had by OC the 306.23, without-OC. The 310.X Beta drivers are back to the speed of the 306.23 in WOW and I went back to 306.96 now.

On the other hand I recall to have played in OC for like 5 hours in a row with the 306.23 without artefacts but can´t recall the temperatures. It was 306.23 when it started to show those black flashing polygons after some time, specially after a lot of heavy stuff on the screen (explosion, fire, reflections and waves on water etc)

One of the reasons I OC at all wasnt only the FPS (wich was like say 13% more), it was the fact that it bettered the "input lag" (that stirring in soup effect) effect I experienced in "Ultra" Settings quiet a lot. I switched back and forth some times to make sure its the OC that does it.

Fanty
11-21-2012, 08:06 AM
Update: Ok, from pure curiosity, I only OC the GPU to 720Mhz but not the memory this time and tried 3 LFR Raids for stress-test.
Temperature goes to 75. But no artefacts so far.

c_man
11-21-2012, 08:15 AM
You might have a defective memory on your GPU. Happens.

Fanty
11-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Sigh...
Well possible. I ALWAYS have bad luck with such things. :(

Well, I found a workaround. I go to 60Hz and activate V-Sync. In WOW there is enough moments when the GPU load is below 100% then, that it cools down. (means, GPU has not to produce as much FPS as possible but 60 and then idle)

Actually, if I OC the shader 20% and the Memory 10%, I rarely go over 95% GPU load and dont even reach 70 degrees.