PDA

View Full Version : Pulsing/strobing black screen

Vechaljian
11-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Im wondering if anyone has had this issue. there screen suddenly starts strobing/flashing/pulsing a black screen, desktop still there, or whatever your doing, like the monitor is just shutting of and coming back on. this has only happend a few times now, and only way to stop it is to reboot. then it will be fine for awhile. This is a G75vw,16.0gb ram, Windows 8 64bit, 670m 3gb(309.67 or 306.97 drivers) Nvidia card. wondering if this is a possble driver problem, id like to head it off before it does something bad.

dstrakele
11-16-2012, 01:14 PM
I observed that type of behavior when I first attached an external monitor to my G74SX, over a year ago. It was as if the NVIDIA driver was cycling through available resolutions to find a suitable one. Are you running dual monitors?

If I were in your situation, I'd probably try a 'clean' NVIDIA install of the Beta 310 driver from Windows Safe Mode.

Vechaljian
11-16-2012, 01:22 PM
No secondary monitors, but now that you mention cycling for it resolution, I was loading up Swtor when it happend, and after the reboot I went into swtor and it was set to 1366x768 instead of the normal 1920x1084.
Ive never done a clean install in safe mode like that, how would I go about it? download the new, Wipe the driver from unstall programs, reboot in safe mode then, then install? or is there more to it?

dstrakele
11-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Boot into Windows Safe Mode (F8 at the splash screen), then launch the NVIDIA mobile version 310 Beta Installer. Choose "Custom Install" and check the "Clean Install" checkbox.

The NVIDIA 'clean' install will remove your current NVIDIA driver and hopefully not leave any driver remnants to cause problems. Performing the installation from Windows Safe Mode will disable other running drivers (such as Antivirus) that may interfere with your video driver installation.