PDA

View Full Version : Yes I dual booted my G75VW. Win7U and Ubuntu 12.04

emurach
11-17-2012, 07:08 AM
Final Results Partition structure.

Drive size SAMSUNG SSD 830 500GB

Partition 1: 2GB ESP <-EFI boot must be First 100MB min. Be default that big WIn7 makes it.
not big enough for two O/S + EFI apps. I made it 2GB for Growth
Partition 2: 2GB MSR <-Microsoft reserved. Windows creates it.
Partition 3: 200GB Win7_64U NTFS (Windows)
Partition 4: 160GB \ EXT4 (Linux) <-No linux boot partition needed in EFI approach.
Partition 5: 70GB \home EXT4 (Linux)
Partition 6: 32GB \swap EXT2/SWAP (Linux)
Partition 7: 10GB FAT32 {used by both os's, usb boot keys, and bios. I flash bios from there. Useful)
990MB unallocated

Next: install Windows 7SP1 DVD. Create a 200GB partition.
Warning Don't use the whole disc here. And don't bother updating or installing apps. JUst more data to more next.

Load some sort of CD burning software.

OK Download Ubuntu 12.04LTS CD/DVD from Ubuntu's site to a Disc or make a USBKEY with Unetbootin.

Next search google for "refindit" read and download it to a disc. Read the site and download all the files. + SHELL 2.0

Next create a shortcut on your Windows Desktop. Name CMD program CMD. Once created right click it properties - advanced
check run as administrator.

From that Command prompt box you run apps like:

DISKPART, BOOTREC, BCDEDIT, MOUNTVOL

ok

Ok boot the Ubuntu 12.04LTS Disc or Key. If you have a nvidia 670m the graphics will load wrong/black past the GRUB 2.00
Boot Loader. Ya! no video support for the 670M.

So edit Grub2 during the boot process try the following:
1.Immediately after the BIOS splash screen during boot, press and hold the SHIFT button. This will display you grub containing a list of kernels and recovery options

2.Press e to edit the first kernel displayed
3.Find the line ending with "quiet splash". Add your boot option before these key words - i.e. so the line looks like ..."nomodeset quiet splash"

4.Press CTRL + X to boot

BAM live CD/DVD loads up. Working Ubuntu

Next Top Left O loooking icon click. in Text box type GPART. GPARTED icon shows up. CLick it. Run Gparted. You can select drives and see partitions. All the partition start at left one

after another and more toward right til the 300GB of unalocatted space. Select the Windows Partition. Use Gparted to move/slide it to far right and Apply. this places the ESP & MSR

partition on the left and Windows on the right and the free unallocated space in the middle.

Were doing this because the first ESP partition must be a the beginning of the disc and per Microsoft the MSR must follow directly behind that. Now MS screwed you and made the ESP only
100MB. Just big enough for one OS. BUt not two or for additional apps and loaders.

Were going to fix that here. Ok done with Gparted and Ubuntu. shutdown remove cd/dvd

PWR on boot Windows. Still runs. Click on the CMD shortcut. at command prompt type:

mountvol drive letter: /s, and then press ENTER.
For example, type: mountvol z: /s then press ENTER.

This mounts the hidden ESP partition to drive z:

You can type cd z: then Dir to see the files on that FAT32 ESP partition.

next follow the refindit website writes install refindit into the Z: ESP drive.

next use BCDEDIT at the command prompt to modify your BCD configuration (By the way the data files for that are on that ESP partition you mounted)
using the guidence on the refindit site.

Once you think refindit correctlly installed and the BCD file looks right so of like this.

C:\Windows>bcdedit

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
path \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi
description UEFI: rEFInd Boot Manager
locale en-US
default {current}
displayorder {current}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.efi
description Windows 7 Ultimate
locale en-US
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {f5e5cc4e-fd04-11e1-8453-806e6f6e6963}

C:\Windows>

reboot windows and test it.

Once it working and your back in windows click the CMD icon.

Mount the ESP partition again.

Use Windows Explorer. Install a 4GB USB key in the USB port. COpy the whole structure of the key to the key. Verify its there.

REBOOT WINDOWS

At this point Do NOT reboot stay in windows. ELSE you we break windows.

AT command prompt. Type:

DISK PART. (? list of commands. COMMAND /? for help)

LIST DISK.

SELECT DISK (#)

LIST partition (FIND your disk. starts with 100MB system partition)

(If you on the disk.) Type

SELECT PARTITION 2 (MSR Partition)

DELETE PARTITION OVERRIDE

SELECT PARTITION 1 (ESP Partition. Windows won't reboot now)

DELETE PARTITION OVERRIDE

CREATE PARTITION EFI SIZE=2000

(Ok math a 1MB is 1024 kilobytes.
You create 2000MB of ESP Partition.
So: 2000 x 1024 = 2048000 Kilobytes)

CREATE PARTITION MSR SIZE=2000 OFFSET=2048000

QUIT (Done with DISK PART. Back to Command prompt >)

mountvol z: /s

(use Windows Explorer and Copy the directory structure / files back to the new ESP partition z:)

QUIT

"""""""""""NOW safe to Reboot Windows"""""""""""""""""""""""""""''

Reboot.

Make sure Windows Boots up.

Insert Ubuntu Disk Reboot.

Ok Reboot.

Load Ubuntu Live. you must mod grub again. Go run Gparted.

Use GParted slide/move Windows back to the right up against the MSR Partition. (It must be right after the MSR)

APPLY

Use Gparted to create 3 EXT 4 Partitions, and one 10 GB Fat32

Partition 4: 160GB \ EXT4 (Linux) <-No linux boot partition needed in EFI approach.
Partition 5: 70GB \home EXT4 (Linux)
Partition 6: 32GB \swap EXT2/SWAP (Linux)
Partition 7: 10GB FAT32 {used by both os's, usb boot keys, and bios. I flash bios from there. Useful)

APPLY

(ok done with Gparted close it)

On desktop there a launch point to install ubuntu. It installed to the linux directories above.
now since used and booted the ubuntu in an EFI computer. It will install GRUB in the EFI partition and linux in the above partitions and refindit
automatically sees GRUB and hads Both the windows bootloader and GRUB to the menu. The menu might roll off the screen to the left.

ALso, When CD is loaded in the DVD drive and Boots to EFI it at that moment creates and EFI boot option in bios. You want hit esc on reboots select the EFI DVD drive boot vise normal DVD

Once the Ubuntu loaded bam working. Dual boot. Now the 670M users you have Download and install the nvidia driver packages and lots of stuff from the repository to get
ubuntu up to snuff. I live that to you. you have the work around to load the drivers. BUy the way mine boot right in ubuntu with no issue now.

You migt wan't to get Shell 2.0 from the Refindit site and intall that in the EFI partition too. The Asus Laptop Bios has a Shell 2.0 execute option in bios. But it won't run because shell
isn't in you windows ESP EFI partition normally. You must place it there. 99% of users don't know how. Now you do. Once copyed to the right location in the EFI partition you can excute it

from BIOS or reFINDit Boot Manager. Super Easy.

Being both os's on a fast SSD. The both boot and run like lightning. If read all this your on the correct path to Dual booting any OS and Windows. Also Refind and EFI is not limited to

the number of OS'S you can boot here.

Quasimodem
11-17-2012, 07:12 AM
Wow man... You made that so much harder than it has to be... Simply burn the Ubuntu .iso to DVD, boot to it, and choose the option to have both operating systems... use the advanded partitioning tool if you rather... I dualboot 8 and Mint

13fist
11-17-2012, 08:01 AM
Wow man... You made that so much harder than it has to be... Simply burn the Ubuntu .iso to DVD, boot to it, and choose the option to have both operating systems... use the advanded partitioning tool if you rather... I dualboot 8 and Mint

I was about to say that very thing. I needed to do none of that, just boot the ubuntu dvd and set it up.

Zygomorphic
11-17-2012, 11:23 AM
:jawhangsopen: @emurach, that is an awesome tutorial! I am very impressed! :) +REP!! I have a Win 7x64 HP, Win 7x64 U, and OpenSUSE 12.2 all on my laptop (two HDDs). I still use the old MBR loader since it works without trouble and I have two HDDs. Also, LINUX can have the "/" partition in an extended volume, which can have as many partitions as you like.

Like you, I separate the "/" partition and the "/home" partition so that I can reinstall LINUX without damaging my personal files. Only question? Since you did not specifiy the "/boot" partition (I don't either), shouldn't that place the "/boot" under "/"? :confused: At least, that is what I thought. I separate my SWAP partition so that I can hibernate into it.

rewben
11-17-2012, 03:02 PM
nice write-up, thanks for taking the time to document all that!

uefi doesn't require /boot? maybe it's time for me to read more about uefi and dual booting lol!

Quasimodem
11-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Yes, it was a very nice writeup, but if you do things in reverse, Windows first, the Ubuntu wizard will do everything for you... If you choose to have an MBR, you can repair it with the Windows disc, and use EasyBCD to control the boot menu...

rewben
11-17-2012, 05:52 PM
@BNaughty, yes i agree that it's more simple to do this the other way round; to me it's always nice to know both :)

_muol_
11-17-2012, 06:21 PM
I was lazy and just cloned the ubuntu 12.04 HDD from my Thinkpad W701, dumped it as first drive in the G75, and moved the Windows drive to bay two. Ubuntu is very tolerant to even the most brutal hardware changes, so there wasn't even a delay on first boot. A simple 'sudo update-grub' includes the Windows partition in the grub boot menu, and that's it.