PDA

View Full Version : Blu-Ray Player Woes (Need help with Cineplayer perhaps)

dark494
11-17-2012, 10:47 AM
I bought my G75 about a month ago still with Windows 7, and it came pre-installed with a copy of Roxio Cineplayer BD (which to my knowledge doesn't actually exist anymore as far as Roxio is concerned). I was actually really happy with Cineplayer a few reasons: It handled 3D playback, had BD menu support, and did did not force HDCP. That last one is really important because I frequently do screenings for groups and the projector I hook my notebook up to only has VGA input, so it was really nice being able to play blu-rays over that thanks to not forcing the HDCP.

However, I took the plunge and upgraded to Windows 8. Upon doing so, Cineplayer just decided to do its own thing. Now it recognizes discs I put in the drive, but upon trying to play them it just hangs on a black screen and pretends there are no video or audio tracks on the disc to play. I've since installed PowerDVD so I can still play blu-rays as normal, but it forces HDCP which means I can no longer output my blu-rays to VGA and play them on my projector.

My question is two-fold: Is there somewhere I can get an installer for Cineplayer and maybe try reinstalling it to see if that fixes whatever playback issue it's having (did not find it on the disc that came with the notebook), or is there another BD player that works just as well but doesn't have the HDCP limitation?

PILGRIM
11-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Is there somewhere I can get an installer for Cineplayer and maybe try reinstalling it to see if that fixes whatever playback issue it's having (did not find it on the disc that came with the notebook)..?

Download the Sonic DVD Suite (aka CinePlayer) here: http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g74sx/
It's in the "Others" folder.

Alternatively, you may also try to repair CinePlayer in Windows Programs and Features.

GottiBoi55
11-17-2012, 03:07 PM
I had the same issue!
works fine in W7, but won't play BDs in W8.
Cineplayer BD will play DVDs okay in W8
Need a W8 BD update for the Cineplayer BD.

I believe that "Roxio" is owed by "Corell" now, so don't know if a update will be on it's way to fix this issue
I contacted Asus support, asked them if there's an W8 update to fix the Cineplayer BD.
I got response back, "yout ODD maybe bad"......support just don't get it !!!!!
I explained everything clearly in my Email, said, " player works okay in W7, but it's not playing BDs in W8
OMG....there's nothing wrong with the ODD, it's a
compatibility problem in W8 with Cineplayer BD
Asus support just don't get it !!!!!!

dark494
11-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Download the Sonic DVD Suite (aka CinePlayer) here: http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g74sx/
It's in the "Others" folder.

Alternatively, you may also try to repair CinePlayer in Windows Programs and Features.

I found the backup on the drive and tried a repair and it didn't fix the problem. I went ahead and uninstalled it and reinstalled the Sonic DVD Suite from that link and same thing. This sucks, I hope ASUS gets a fix out for it.

dstrakele
11-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Did you try setting the CinePlayer executable to run in Windows 8 Compatibility Mode? See http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6832-compatibility-mode-use-windows-8-a.html.

GottiBoi55
11-18-2012, 05:38 AM
Yeah, I tried Compatibility Mode, had no luck there!

dstrakele
11-18-2012, 06:04 AM
That's how it often goes with a new OS. Some legacy applications will require updates to function.

dark494
11-30-2012, 09:45 AM
*EDIT* Nevermind this post

VeryFunBuddy
07-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Hi,

Wondering if you found a solution for the message posted. I upgraded to Windows 8 too after which Cineplayer does not play any more BDs. It does play DVDs though.

I tried re-installing, but encountered the error. "the software can be installed only on a ASUS system".

Couldn't find any update on Asus portal too.

Thanks.