PDA

View Full Version : Planetside 2 lagging and crashing.

Andili
11-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Hi everyone,

does anybody here play Planetside 2 and if so do you experience lagging and system crashes like i do?

I recently installed the new Nvidia 310.54 update for my GTX 660M card.

Cheers Andy

mrwolf
11-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Hey there andili, you came to the right place. Not thaat many people are playing ps2 atm here because it was in beta but im the ps2 guru here ;) Been playin ps1 since beta as well as ps2 since the days of the tech test, best fps ever..

Anyways, it seems you are experiencing a number of issues.. Firstly the crashing shouldnt really be happening on your system. What programs are you running in the background while playing planetside..? Do you keep an eye on your tempratures and GPU/CPU usage whilst playing ? Also how frequent are the crashes? When the game came out in the tech test there was alot of crashes. I even crashed quite a lot on my G75 but now its pretty solid. I mean i also do get a crash to desktop once in a while and thats normal since it is not been fully optimized and there are still some underlying issues, but how frequently does this happen to you? If its very frequent then there is a problem, if not its just normal..

Secondly you mention lagging.. First off, the term lagging is very vague, you need to let me know your average fps in game and where your fps drops, and by how low it drops. Ive also noticed that with the latest beta drivers 310.54, i have a little bit worse performance, but its ok as they will improve it so jus stay with 310.54 for now..
This game is particularly CPU intensive, and is very very demanding compared to other modern shooters out there.. Now since you have the 660M version and ive got the 670M there will be some differences in performance but i get around 30-70 depending on where i am, in huge battles indoors it might go down to like 27-40.. BUT then again it is mainly due to high amounts of calculations goin to the CPU. So i highly highly reccomend you update your chipset drivers to the latest ones as the ivy bridge process is relativley new, and the latest updates give you better turbo boosting capabilities..
There are a few tweak guides on the main forums page (its now not available as the game is being released soon and servers are down) However this is the settings i found best on the system:

First max out all the settings, then turn off Fog Shadows and Motion Blur. Put the Render Quality to 90% and put Shadows to Medium. You should get stable fps with those settings.

Hopefully when the game comes out on the 20th they would have added a bunch of optimizations in and it should give us all better fps :)

Also since you have the gtx660M which uses the new kepler based architecture, it should run very cool, so you can always give it a nice Overclock and temps shouldnt really change much so i recommend you test out how much u can OC and do it since you can.

To get the most out of your system when playing ps2, make sure to tweak your main Nvidia settings too:

Turn off FXAA, put the negative LOD basis to Clamp. Turn off Triple buffering and put the V-sync to adaptive. Also you should really put your refresh rate to 120hz if you have a 3d display, helps alot as there is no CAP on your fps :)

let me know if you run into any issues, or if you wanna join a pro Outfit you can check us out here: http://www.kanium.org/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t05Ssw4wZLk

Andili
11-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Hi mrwolf,

thank you so much for your replay.
I will try to update and adjust everything you suggested me to do and will get to you by tomorrow.

Great ure here honestly!!

cheers Andi

Andili
11-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Hi mrwolf,

I am not the best when it comes to tweaks etc. maybe you could help me a little.

Not sure how to properly change.

To get the most out of your system when playing ps2, make sure to tweak your main Nvidia settings too:

Turn off FXAA, put the negative LOD basis to Clamp. Turn off Triple buffering and put the V-sync to adaptive. Also you should really put your refresh rate to 120hz if you have a 3d display, helps alot as there is no CAP on your fps

Cheers again

Andili
11-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Yes i can only admit that PS2 is the best game ive played in a long time and i cant wait for the 20th to get back into the game!:D
The Games crashes almost evey time when i play it, my screen just freezes and then breaks up.

the lagging occurs every time when a lot of cpu is being used, in a huge battle for example.

I just updated the Chipset as you suggested with the latest driver found on the Asus website and you are right regarding the temperature, quite low while i am playing PS2.

İ have a total of 16GB ram and a 7200 HDD.

you mentioned the Nvidia settings, how can i change them correctly?

I have to admit that I have no idea what you mean with FXAA and negative LOD basis to Clamp and how to turn off the triple buffering and what about the V-sync to adaptive??:confused:

I can calculate your business from A to Z but when it comes to detailed software changes, i am lost.

Andi

mrwolf
11-18-2012, 02:08 AM
Haha, thats fine i can explain further..

Basically to change the Nvidia settings you need to open up your Nvidia control panel by right clicking on desktop and you shud see it there.. Once you get into that you should click on manage 3d settings.. There you should be able to see all the settings i mentioned..

Now the chipset drivers on the Asus website are very old, sorry i should have mentioned that before.. But its okay ! i have a nice link for you that has the latest and greatest driver as well as a nice little install guide so that it installs cleanly :)
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?24210-Intel-Chipset-Drivers-v9.3.1.1007-WHQL&

Hmm, the crashing is not good, shouldnt happen so often. I mean i always see on the forums that many people have frequent crashes so it could be the game.. But then again, my system is very similar to yours and i dont get crashes thatt often.. Either way see how it goes with my settings when the game comes out.. If you still keep getting crashes and as i read in another thread of yours, if you notice really bad performance and absolutely cannot manage to narrow it down to anything, i really recommend you back up all your important work stuff and do a clean install of windows.. I guarantee it will be soo fast like better than it was when u first bought it without all the bloatware.. I know its a little tedious and you must be quite busy, but its worth it.. I had no choice but to do a fresh windows install when i got my SSD and now my system feels so much cleaner..

Make sure u also have a good anti-virus/firewall that does not have a big memory footprint so it doesnt interfere with gaming.. I suggest Avast..

Hope it helps.. CANT WAIT TILL 20th !! :) Hitman absolution and planetside 2 are out :D

Andili
11-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Thank you so much mrwolf.

Ups ok i will download the link you sent me and see how it goes.
what about all the other downloads, would yu recommend me downloading them as well ?
like the boost techn. etc.

cheers again

Andi

cheers

mrwolf
11-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Ah your welcome.. which other downloads..?

The main ones are the Nvidia 310.54 drivers and the chipsets drivers.. If you have an SSD then the RST drivers are also pretty useful.. The chipset drivers make the turbo boost more effective and efficient for ivy bridge..

I highly reccommend you download MSI-Afterburner tho.. It allows you to monitor in game the temps of GPU, fps counter and loads of useful stats.. Also you can overclock using that if you wish..

CCleaner is good too if you are installing new drivers as it cleans your registry to prevent any errors/conflicts in the system..

Other than that you dont need much..

Andili
11-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks very much mrwolf,

I see you on the 20th....counting down the hours.

cheers

Andi

mrwolf
11-19-2012, 05:41 PM
anytime man, haha yea see u there ! i will be playing on the Miller server (EU 2 i think) since thats where my outfit is..

By the way are you in an outfit yet?

rewben
11-20-2012, 03:43 PM
GeForce 310.61 Beta Drivers: An Essential Upgrade For All Hitman: Absolution & Planetside 2 Players (http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-310-61-beta-drivers-released)

mrwolf
11-20-2012, 07:28 PM
yea planetside 2 is finally out !! They have a crazy new trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb90FBLfPBA&feature=share