PDA

View Full Version : G53JW - Webcam properties bug

kimiraikkonen
11-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Hi guys,
We all (at least some of G53 owners) know how crappy the built-in webcam is included in RoG notebooks, such as in my G53JW, it has HORRIBLE FPS performance, i can live with it because i don't use webcam too much and willing to buy a new one such as Philips via USB. The another problem is, the properties window (aKa settings window) has appearance bugs. You see the column text under "Auto". What are they? Why are they missing? Note that i have 1080p resolution as native.

Here is the screenshot:

http://i47.tinypic.com/inbn79.png

And it has no control over FPS? Am i missing something? I don't think so, because all the imaging apps showing the similar (or same) dialog box for tweaking webcam settings. Or what are your optimal settings for getting maximum FPS?

Thanks a lo!

dstrakele
11-17-2012, 06:25 PM
It's not the webcam, but the webcam connection that results in poor frame rates. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OpenCV/message/35921 discusses the limitations of USB 2.0 in transferring the data of each frame to the CPU.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8708390_increase-frames-per-second-webcam.html discusses how to work within those limitations to achieve the best possible framerate (i.e. more light will allow the camera to decrease exposure and capture each frame faster). However, you will never be able to achieve a sufficient framerate to avoid blurred motion on a USB 2.0 webcam.

kimiraikkonen
11-17-2012, 10:16 PM
It's not the webcam, but the webcam connection that results in poor frame rates. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OpenCV/message/35921 discusses the limitations of USB 2.0 in transferring the data of each frame to the CPU.

Thanks for your response but In fact, that's really incorrect. The webcam itself has EXTREMELY poor sensor and lens, totally terrible hardware, maybe it costs less than 5$ inside a RoG notebook, is really a shame. Here is why; almost all the external webcams are connected via USB 2.0 (480 mbit), and there are lots of ones that provide GREAT frame rates such as Philips, some Logitech models...Though most them are "soft" webcams, it won't be a such problem to get low FPS due to having Core I7 that provides plenty of CPU time thus extreme processing power for I/O bus. But the one in my Rog notebook, the webcam's hardware (especially sensor) is a disaster. You see your movement after 2-3 seconds even in VGA mode having connected on a Core I7 machine. I know some "hard" (and HD ones) webcams which have better sensors that would let CPU stay idle thus faster frame rates, but that's a bit pointless for a notebook that has plenty of free CPU, I7 even it's connected via USB 2.0. That's been discussed either on notebookreview.com, Asus Rog Forum and some retail stores' review sites. Plus, this is an UVC web camera which means no special driver is required to avoid any low performance and conflict. Additionally, i have seen lots of USB 2.0 webcams providing great frame rates even they're UVC class. I see some other people having same problem with their crappy webcam eventhough paying almost 1400$ for their gaming rig which is a shame.

I %100 agree with the exposure, white balance setting has great level of impact on frame rate, however i failed to get any significant change by tweaking them. If there's any, can you please tell me what combinations are perfect based on the screenshot on my first post?

Also, could you determine the missing part of webcam setting dialog, the main purpose of this subject which seems a GUI flaw.

Thanks!

dstrakele
11-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Like any camera, the lighting conditions of your environment will determine what settings give optimal exposure.

I %100 agree with the exposure, white balance setting has great level of impact on frame rate, however i failed to get any significant change by tweaking them.

White balance will remove unrealistic color cast from images, such as those taken in fluorescent or incandescent lighting, but has no effect on exposure time or framerate. The 2nd article I referenced recommended increasing the brightness of light in your environment to achieve faster exposure times to help increase the framerate. It may also be possible for 3rd party video capture software to increase your webcam framerate.

I'd guess the "Auto" setting boxes are grayed out because the webcam driver doesn't support that functionality. But it certainly could be a bug in the UI as you suggest. If you check the ColorEnable checkbox in the lower left of the dialog , does it activate them?