PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone Installed an Aftermarker Blu-ray Drive

Singinwolf725
11-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Greetings to All,
Has anyone replaced their original DVD drive with and aftermarker Blu-Ray Drive?
I purchased my G75 from Bestbuy and it came with a DVD Rom.
I was wondering if he Rom can be removed and a Blu-ray Drive installed?
If so What Kind and How?
Thanks

rewben
11-17-2012, 03:09 PM
the replacement should be easy.
1. take out the only screw that hold the ODD;
2. push the ODD out;
3. put in the new drive;
4. secure it with the ODD screw.

there are many choices for blue-ray drive at http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=3181

edit: oh, you should take out the bezel from the original ODD and put in on the new drive, too.

Singinwolf725
11-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Interesting! I found the drives for less the have the price on Asus' site, ie. E-Bay. But is says that they will not work with additional Blu-Ray software. Which costs a minimum of $50.00 and more like $90.00. Think I will just leave the DVD Rom in and put the money else where.
Doesn't seem like a worth while investment.

rewben
11-17-2012, 04:20 PM
i'm not sure about the incompatibility. maybe someone who has the drive will tell you more about that.

or, you can always find alternatives like external ODD.

bignazpwns
11-17-2012, 06:17 PM
I picked my drive up on ebay for $40 the software is free you just have to look for it and download it.

VLC all you need to do is download and relocate a .dll file to get bluray compatible with VLC

_muol_
11-17-2012, 06:29 PM
I got a Panasonic/Mat****a UJ240 (~$60 from Amazon) for my G75VW. Works great with ASUS DVD/BD player. You'll have to use the bezel from your original ASUS drive though, but it's no big deal to swap it.