PDA

View Full Version : Wanna buy a g75. Should i wait for vx model? PRO and CONS at 2200$

HIM
11-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Hello. I'm from Romania and very new to this forum and also excited to meet u all.:) Please excuse my bad english.:D
To get to the point

I LOVE G75 series looks and specs and i MUST have one (will be my first gaming laptop). So i wanna ask u ROG masters about G75
VW and / vs VX. pro's and cons. The only CON for me regarding VX would be the price if it's high.

As i checked out an G75vw - Ti400 ...

(http://www.esal.ro/notebook-laptop/notebook-asus-g75vw-t1400d-i7-3630qm-16gb-256gb-ssd-750gb-hdd-nvidia-geforce-gtx-670m-3gb-dos-p54962.html?)

SHORT SPECS:
17.3\" (1920x1080) LED-backlit mat, i7-3630QM , GTX670M 3GB, RAM 16GB (4x4GB),
HDD 750GB 7.200rpm + SSD 256GB, 8 cell 5200 mAH Li-ion, NumPad chiclet, Free DOS etc

...wich i tought it was kind of...ultimate gaming machine for 1936 $.
PS: I should be able to go around 2100 - 2200 $ but really dont want to :o

Then...i get to this forum...and saw that the VX series will be launched "soon".

I checked here for VX series and found...

(http://www.dc-shop.ro/laptop-notebook/laptop-asus-g75vx_cv068h-i7_3630qm-750gb-8gb-gtx670m-win8-l/)

SH SPECS:
17.3\" (1920x1080)F HD +3D, LED-backlit mat, i7-3630QM , GTX670M 3GB, RAM 18GB (2x4GB), HDD 750GB SSH 7200rpm +
3D gasses

So here the VX modell is better than T1400 only at 3D screen BUT the GAMING / FASTER specs of T1400 are lacking (SSD, 16 RAM)

...at 2100 $. So this VX modell is NOT for me.:mad:

All i wanna ask u guys is it worth waiting for the VX with the 670MX card? Or should i go with the T1400 (this T is very new here)

The thing is i cannot go further than 2200$ MAX but ...it might sound silly....i am willing to wait till the new VX (670mx) will be
launched...and then still wait for the price to go down at about 2200$...i hope it will.:(

Furthermore...as the VX will be NEW model...and i think it will have a price to show that...mabey i will get the machine with 670MX at
2200 $ but without 16GB RAM (mabey it will have only 8), and more shurley without 256 GB SSD. So...are the SSD and RAM worth
losing just for the new video card? :(
In time (1 year) i should be able to get and SSD and RAM to compensate but...

PPS:
1. Can u guys estimate when the VX modell i'm loking for will be on the market? I don't think it will be out this year cuz now all the old G75 are up for sell and discounts for Christmas. I really hope it will be out will April 2013 ( we are celebrating Easter then...and shops gives discounts) ;)

2. Estimates about the VX price? As new and...how soon will it drop?

3.What kind of SSD does VW modell have? I wanna know if it supports TRIMM.

4.Know any shops that shipps to Romania?

Plz...give me your toughts and sorry for my messed up writing :o Also thank you A LOT and Merry Christmas everyone. God Bless :D

StereoROG
11-18-2012, 05:55 PM
G75 VX should/will come with a nvidia 670MX which is a slight upgrade from a 670M i checked the link that you posted something is not right.

Write an email to the website ( talking about the VX model ) and clarify this subject.

I will say wait for the VX 670mx should perform better much cooler and up for some OCing ( if your into that stuff)

If you are limited with your budget then VW is fine too running most of the games smoothly but dont get your hope too high as it is a laptop at the end.

A question to ask yourself will the laptop serve your purpose ?

This is what i did:

Of course point number 1 is money how much you are willing to spend? I had an Asus G75vw in front of me and next to it an Alienware.

I got the Asus of course after an intense research and i'm not disappointed as i know what i bought and what to expect from this machine.

we can go on forever to talk about this subject but at the end it's your choice. My focus was on the GPU cause that really matters for gaming.

Hope this covers your doubts and questions.

Thank you

finalhour
11-18-2012, 06:22 PM
ASUS support for the G series has been unimpressive. Get an MSI

StereoROG
11-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Yeah it's winter....

You might use the MSI to heat your room with it...two for one...chichingggggg.....

Why not go for Eurocom you in Europe....

bignazpwns
11-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Go with a MSI or a Sager for that price. The VX is a huge huge huge rip off and for $2200 you are now in the price range of the GTX 680m's what will still mop the floor with a GTX 670mx.

How will the msi heat the room? They all make the same amount of heat and every MSI i used was pretty close to the temps i was getting with the G75. However the G75 could sit on the carpet and keep the same temps when the msi would get about 10c hotter.

Bottom line for $2200 look into some real laptops with GTX 680m's or HD 7970. Anything for $2,200 with less of a gpu better have some huge SSD's and a high end cpu ie "Extreme edition"

ikennyyy
11-18-2012, 07:56 PM
For $2200 I would get a Sager with the 680m rather than the spending it on a VX. I have a VW and no where near disappointed at the price I paid for it however if you're spending that much might as well get the best GPU out there.

Zygomorphic
11-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Hello. I'm from Romania and very new to this forum and also excited to meet u all.:) Please excuse my bad english.:D

No worries about the English...we all speak g33k 'round h3r3. :D

SHORT SPECS:
17.3\" (1920x1080) LED-backlit mat, i7-3630QM , GTX670M 3GB, RAM 16GB (4x4GB),
HDD 750GB 7.200rpm + SSD 256GB, 8 cell 5200 mAH Li-ion, NumPad chiclet, Free DOS etc

...wich i tought it was kind of...ultimate gaming machine for 1936 $.
PS: I should be able to go around 2100 - 2200 $ but really dont want to :o
?FreeDOS? I would buy one with a Windows license (unless you really don't want Windows). FreeDOS can be downloaded from the internet. FreeDOS doesn't support multi-core processors (which both of these systems have [4-cores + 4 HT]). If you really don't want [personally or to pay for :D] Windows, try to get the computer pre-installed with a LINUX distro or else PC-BSD.

Furthermore...as the VX will be NEW model...and i think it will have a price to show that...mabey i will get the machine with 670MX at
2200 $ but without 16GB RAM (mabey it will have only 8), and more shurley without 256 GB SSD. So...are the SSD and RAM worth
losing just for the new video card? :(
In time (1 year) i should be able to get and SSD and RAM to compensate but...
I would get the faster video card and save your money. If you aren't doing video editing, do not worry about the 8 GB vs 16 GB. The SSD is nice, but you can get a small one (64 GB) in the US for $60-$70 (Romanian price unknown). There will always be better hardware on the horizon, technology just seems to be that way...by the time it reaches the shelf, it is obsolete.

Plz...give me your toughts and sorry for my messed up writing :o Also thank you A LOT and Merry Christmas everyone. God Bless :D

Merry Christmas to you too...though on my side of the world it's still 1.5 months away. :D :D God bless you too. :)

HIM
11-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Go with a MSI or a Sager for that price. The VX is a huge huge huge rip off and for $2200 you are now in the price range of the GTX 680m's what will still mop the floor with a GTX 670mx.

Bottom line for $2200 look into some real laptops with GTX 680m's or HD 7970. Anything for $2,200 with less of a gpu better have some huge SSD's and a high end cpu ie "Extreme edition"

Well...the fact is that HERE...for 2200 $...u can't get better than G75vw. For Ex: Alienware M17xR3 GTX 580M is 3950$ !!!
http://www.emag.ro/laptop-alienware-m17xr3-base-stealth-black-cu-procesor-intel-174-core-small-sup-tm-sup-small-i7-2820qm-2-30ghz-8gb-ssd-256gb-nvidia-geforce-gtx-580m-2gb-microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-dl-271964428/pd/E3DVDBBBM/

So...add 500$ and u can buy 2 G75vw...sadly for us :mad:
PS: BTW...1000$ from 4000$ is our VAT tax :mad::mad::mad:
I don't even think we even have 680m's laptops here :mad:

So anyway....don't think i will be buying any laptop with 680M anytime soon...because brands like SAGER or MSI...are out of our reach..except...mabey a store that shipps here. MSI,Sager,etc...here we don't have this brands. Toshiba, Asus,Samsung,Dell,etc BUT no MSI or Sager:mad: Too bad i don't speak German...they must have these brands.

That is why i asked if mabey somehow u guys know a store or something that shipps to Romania...or Europe (germany, Austria,Hungary,etc).

I am so dissapointed right now...u all say i could buy better stuff fith this money...but i don't have where to buy from :((

PS: What brand/modell of SSD do G75vw have (i mean the one with 256Gb)? does it supports TRIMM?

Anyway...thank you so much guys....making me feel welcomed in ROG comunity :)

chrsplmr
11-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Wow .. the 'C' word .. typed outloud .. Wow ...

If you can stand the wait .. wait.
Otherwise .. my rule is, best deal the day I order,
Make it work .. never second guess yourself.
Do it and Done or Don't.
(only as to when to order .. hehehe)

as to Sager and 680's ect ... either it ROGs
or 'it' Don't .. zall I have ta say bout that ... c.

HIM
11-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Well guys...after a little searching...i found this MSI

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-GT70-0NE-276US-17-3-1080p-i7-3610QM-16GB-RAM-NVIDIA-GTX-680M-4GB-256GB-SSD-/271090112968?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item3f1e3ad9c8

and it shipps to Ro .

Have any of you bought any product at 2000$ from e-bay? Is it safe to buy?

Also...how is the MSI cooling...does it handle cooling like Asus's dual fans?

bignazpwns
11-19-2012, 12:05 AM
HIM dont be a fanboy. Also dont post links to crappy sitees selling old hardware for more then what it cost.

Now lests slip out of super fail fanboy mode and be serious

MX17 base new from Dell is $1,500. Upgrade the display to 1920X1080, gpu GTX 680m and guess what? That's $2,199 and if you call they will ship it free. Faster then the crap from the 3rd world website you linked and you know what the same price as the VX with a waaaaaaaaaaaaay after gpu. MSI has even better systems for cheaper. Also Sager has systems in the same price range that curb stomps the VX. Alienware is overpriced but still in the same price range as the VX so ha ha Asus is now on the Alienware level of overpriceing stuff. However Alienware aka dell has the best warrenty for a pc you can get and Asus has some guy in iraq fixing them off the side of a donky in terms of service. Asus took over a month and a half to fix a G75VW i had. Dell i put a call in at 10pm est for my MX18 and by 10am the next day i had a tech in my house fixing my system and by noon i was back up and running.

From what i have been seeing is a decline in power and value in the rog laptops. You guys remember the $1,300 system of yesterday with a i7 and a hd 5870 what was the fastest card at the time? Now we pay more for mid end cards and no real advancement in features why other laptop get all kinds of advancements. Its because the fanboys here are getting to be like apple and will buy anything that has rog on it and think its the best performance and value ever .

Also HIM that GT70 is nice i had one. However do not buy that. $2k from a seller with 117 feedback and not a powerseller no thanks. If you spend that much make sure they are a powerseller with very high feedback and a very high rateing. Also bwefore you buy check out what they sold in the feed back and see what people said. see if they are happy or if they got a broke unit and the buyer refunded or sent a new one.

WontonNoodle
11-19-2012, 03:11 AM
2200, get a sager or MSI. beast laptops

fostert
11-19-2012, 05:34 AM
Best advice I ever got when buying computers from a computing scince prof...do your homework/research, plot out the performance versus price, which will be pretty linear up to a "knee" in the curve, after which the same or more extra $$ invested will buy you only incremental performance increases. Anyways, "buy at the knee" the saying goes.

I see ASUS G-series as brilliantly marketed notebooks, because they lie precisely at the knee. I would be surprised in fact if ASUS didn't know this...I really think they target the G-series right at this spot. Anyways, the other "beastly" laptops you are being steered towards in this thread are well beyond this, into the realm of epsilon performance increase per many dollars extra.

Buy at the knee.

If you must have the best at all costs then you should ignore this advice. Otherwise, on a performance-per-price basis, the G-series are the top notebooks around.

Zygomorphic
11-19-2012, 11:25 AM
@fostert, that is very true! +rep! That is the reason that I bought my ASUS. It fit my ~$1500 budget with the best specs. Everything higher got a lot more expensive, and didn't add anything I wanted. I upgraded the RAM and HDD myself rather than blowing it on marginal CPU increases. The extra RAM and HDD is far more noticeable for VMs.

chrsplmr
11-19-2012, 02:19 PM
ZyROGgie .. right on the mark as usual goodSir .. Fostert+.

Asus hits what 'she' shoots at .. dead center .. its where the most 'meat' is ..
for everything else there is Mod'n.

Does anyone here really doubt that if the target was ultra high end, 'nothing touches it'
was the goal that we wouldnt be looking at a just under $5000 screamer ???
Thats not where main street lives.c.

HIM
11-19-2012, 07:36 PM
MX17 base new from Dell is $1,500. Upgrade the display to 1920X1080, gpu GTX 680m and guess what? That's $2,199 and if you call they will ship it free. MSI has even better systems for cheaper. Also Sager has systems in the same price range that curb stomps the VX.

Also HIM that GT70 is nice i had one. .

Thank you all for your answers.

The reason i wanned Asus is not that i'm a fanboy of ROG per say. I'm not a child. In stead i was attracted about the looks but mostly i like the COOLING SYSTEM G75 has (2 cooling vents) as i know (mabey i'm wrong) that HEAT is nr 1 parts killer and ..i don't know other brands that have that. PS: i will also buy a Cooling Pad for extra safe.

Do u really think someone from Dell or MSI wil actualy help me build a system by the phone and shipp it to Romania? If so, please advice me where to get those numbers from (dell and MSI) or what dealer i should search for next? Or mabey an online consultant/dealer...i don't know what other posibilities i might have for making this work.

Alli want is PERFORMANCE but in 2200 $ range. If u guys say i can get the 680m for that money...then i want that mostly because it makes such a huge difference for gaming performance,right? I don't care who provides it, Asus,MSI, etc. If i had this brands behind the corner...i would be more informed and could make a better decision. That is why i need you guys.

bignazpwns
11-19-2012, 07:41 PM
The Asus G series has not been the best value since back in the day. Really around the G74 they were avrage and if you looked MSI offered better systems for the same price or cheaper. Now its just overpriced and your paying for the whole ROG UBER GAMER OMG...Hmm kinda like Razer? The VX is not even close to a value. $1,300-1,400 yeah. $2,000+ god no for that price you can get way better systems without looking for a sale or looking hard at all.

The G73Jh was a hell of a system. I mean when i seen it $1,200 got you a i7 the highest end gpu at the time. I mean it was awesome Asus did the highend gpu. Now asus does the middle end gpus and the price keeps going up. When i seen that laptop i bought it on the spot because of the value and power. Now i just walk past them and i see no value. i see no power and with the VX its giving me a Alienware taste in my mouth but atleast Alienware has a much better warranty and service.

I wanna see the features. I wanna see the power that the ROG means for desktops because in the laptops is a friggin joke now and means nothing.

Wanna charge $2,000+ for the VX no problem dont sell me crap tho like you are. Give me a great keybord. Give me some awesome name brand audio i mean everyone else will use harmon kardon, jbl kalipsh etc. "I did not say beats, Thats not high end thats crap" Make it worth the money. Use better displays. IPS or atleast a TN that does not have lines in it and look like fuzzy crap. Give me some nice dual band wifi not the crap you got left over from eee pc's.

I mean its pretty sad when you become the same value as Alienware.

Zygomorphic
11-20-2012, 01:10 AM
Heat is the #1 parts killer (Besides user stupidity :cool:). If you want the 680M, you will have to look elsewhere. I too would like to see a higher-end version of the G-series, but I doubt that it will happen.

cheek
11-20-2012, 04:19 AM
http://www.agearnotebooks.com/msims-1762-680m.html#tabs

saw this msi yesterday. blown away. cheapest 680 i have ever seen. even has diamong paste + killer N.

not sure if it ships to your country though...

ikennyyy
11-20-2012, 11:27 AM

saw this msi yesterday. blown away. cheapest 680 i have ever seen. even has diamong paste + killer N.

Now that is a deal!!!

Zygomorphic
11-20-2012, 11:28 AM

Good find! I am impressed at the price.

HIM
11-20-2012, 05:43 PM
WoW indeed.

I've send them e-mail asking about shipping.

I also found a laptop build site http://www.xoticpc.com
that shipps to Ro and build an MSI for 2050$. Know anything about XOTICPC ?? Are they reliable??

I wanna ask u guys....how can i make my trade safe? I mean...sending 2000$ (in this case about 1600) to a company ....how can i do this to be shure they don't screw up my order. I mean...i'm affraid something goes wrong, they take my money and give me nothing in return.

I am thinking they will e-mail me a bill....but can that bill help me ...dont know how to say ....grabbing them by the balls till all parties get what they want (me getting the product i payed for). Does that bill help me if i want to sue them (worst case scenario) ?

How would u guys do this to be more secure about the tranzaction if u were me?

Zygomorphic
11-21-2012, 12:47 AM
@HIM, I understand your concern, but companies aren't like that. Just email xoticpc's customer support department and ask them how to palce your order. I have heard good things about them, especially since they cater to gamers (and charge like it too. :D)