PDA

View Full Version : Eee PC 1015px freezes

Rob ut Ikkerwald
11-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Just a year we have this Asus Ee 1015px. There is Windows 7 Starter on it.
It worked fine till two weeks ago.

Now it can not boot fully.
Turning it on it gives the screen choosing bootoptions after an abnormal closedown. After that ik get a windows logo shortly, after that the colored screen freezes.
Pressing F9 when booting, choosing setup the same: it starts but freezes after a few minutes.

Today i made a bootable ISO on Usb-stick to reinstall Windows 7 Starter again. Booting and pressing ESC lets me choose where to boot from. Booting from USB is starting good. After a few minutes i am asked to choose languages but after that the installation freezes.

I also removed en inserted again the 1Gb Memory module. But the problem still exists. Has anyone dealt with this problem too?

I post my question here because after one year there is no warrantee on it anymore.

My decision is throw this cheap thing away, give it away of try to repair it myself.
Asus TSD told me handling costs are 75 euro (100 dollar?) :-(

SUKARA@ASUS
11-19-2012, 07:43 AM
Sorry!
I think ~ ~
Should not sell it in here

Zygomorphic
11-19-2012, 11:13 AM
I would try to install a LINUX distro on it. www.ubuntu.com is a good starting point. LINUX will use less RAM and CPU. If that freezes, get a new computer. If not, then you are looking at software issues with Win7. Make sure you haven't messed with any USB settings in the BIOS.

Rob ut Ikkerwald
11-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Installing Unbuntu is not a bad idea. Maybe i give this sunday a try.

Unfortunately i have drivers+software which need Windows.

I'm now realising it is strange that an eee can not like a smartphone given a factory reset tot set things back to the startingpoint.

Zygomorphic
11-22-2012, 01:25 AM
Installing Unbuntu is not a bad idea. Maybe i give this sunday a try.

Unfortunately i have drivers+software which need Windows.

I'm now realising it is strange that an eee can not like a smartphone given a factory reset tot set things back to the startingpoint.

Often they have a recovery partition accessed through one of the function keys, so check your documentation. What drivers need Windows? I mean, it is a netbook after all.

Rob ut Ikkerwald
11-22-2012, 06:15 PM
I asume Asus TSD advised me well to suggest me to send it to them when alle recovery attempts did not succeed.

With drivers i ment that i use windows software (VCDS) which require a driver to connect to my USB-CANcable to read out errors in my car and/or change settings. I'm not sure this will work in Unbuntu..............

Rob ut Ikkerwald
11-24-2012, 11:57 PM
Unfortunately i now expect the harddisk to be damaged.

When installing unbuntu i heard a ticking noise after a while. Unbunto told me to check the hardware (hardware failure) and installation could not be finished.

Yeasterday i ordered a SSD disk to make my Eee work again.