PDA

View Full Version : Should i update my bios?

weirdzaid
11-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Well i just installed Asus liveupdate from the cd, and it says these need to be updated ( My laptop is working fine ) , i have an asus g74sx

Realtek Audio device
Fresco USB3.0 Driver
Nvidia graphics driver

should i update them? or leave them as it is?

HiVizMan
11-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Why update something that is working perfectly? Not broken don't try and fix it.

hsp25
11-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Well i just installed Asus liveupdate from the cd, and it says these need to be updated ( My laptop is working fine ) , i have an asus g74sx

Realtek Audio device
Fresco USB3.0 Driver
Nvidia graphics driver

Excuse my ignorance but aren't these only drivers ? Not bios

HiVizMan
11-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Regardless if they are drivers or BIOS, if your system works as you want it to work then there is no need to update anything in my view. Only change stuff if your system is not able to do what you need it to do, or if the new driver or bios has a feature that you want.

hsp25
11-19-2012, 09:38 AM
True but if it is just a driver update, then it is easily rolled back and is of lesser importance than bios. It's not like you can brick a mb with a driver.

I dont disagree with you hivisman. Just pointing out there are major differences between bios and drivers

HiVizMan
11-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Correct you can roll-back drives, but honestly the only way to truly roll back a driver is to do a system restore.

hsp25
11-19-2012, 10:25 AM
True. I guess allot of people don't know how to do some of these types of things.

Bit off topic but i'm going to do a little fix up for a mate with an old pc that is running slow etc. Probably as easy as a clean out n defrag but he wants a fresh install from vista to windows 7 and has no idea or inclination to try it himself. I do it as a hobby for free

hlorenzl
11-19-2012, 05:14 PM

Realtek Audio device
Fresco USB3.0 Driver
Nvidia graphics driver

These are just drivers. BIOS is a different one (as mentioned in the earlier posts. I also agree that you should not change those things which are already stable unless you want to try something new in that particular update. Driver updates are, well not all of the time, convenient (imo) as they offer new features or something like that. Just be sure that it's not buggy (by reading comments/forums regarding that driver update) and you're clear to update. With regards to firmware (BIOS) update, don't try it if it's your first time maybe unless if you read a lot of things about BIOS upgrading. Another warning is that many people do not recommend BIOS update via BIOS update softwares (running on windows) as they have a "greater chance to fail" and send your mobo to the graveyard. You might wanna read old posts about BIOS upgrades here in the forums.

Going back to driver updates, you can always rollback to the previous version whenever there is a problem with the update. I suggest then that you have a record of the driver versions that worked or are stable before making system changes. Even though I have mentioned earlier that updates may be convenient most of the time, there are also times that they may come out buggy (case-to-case). So just be precautious and read a lot before doing something on your PC. :)

PS: if there is something wrong with my message, the sirs/maams of this forum may always correct me. Thanks.