PDA

View Full Version : Disable UEFI -button missing + failing to install windows 7

Tursmo
11-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Hey there. I got Asus G75VW recently. It came with Windows 8. I bought a ssd with it and was planning to install windows 7 on it and formatting the hdd after it. But I have ran to quite a few problems here.

First, a lot of the guides tell me to disable the UEFI-boot from the bios. I have even seen a picture of the bios where they have that option, but I dont have it. I upgraded BIOS to check if it was that, but it didn't help.

Second, I can't seem to be able to boot from dvd or USB anyway. If I try to boot from DVD, I get as far as the windows logo (after loading windows files), and then it freezes. If I try to install from USB, it throws an error instantly about BCD or something. If I run the setup on windows 8, it throws the files on the SSD but after the boot it gives me an error about winload.efi and refuses to boot from there.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm at loss here!

Tursmo
11-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Thanks, but I have done that already. It seems a lot of people have troubles with booting from USB and UEFI. Just hoping that someone here might have had the same exact problem and could help a man out.

dstrakele
11-19-2012, 01:05 PM
When I encounter errors, I typically google the exact error text to see if I can find a resolution. It also helps us to diagnose the problem if we know the exact text of the errors. If there are a lot of folks out there reporting this problem, I'd be willing to bet someone also reported a resolution.

I'd also try removing the HDD to install Windows 7 to the SSD.

rewben
11-19-2012, 04:58 PM
the key to booting usb to uefi is the file system format. just format your usb stick with fat32; then copy all the DVD contents to the usb. the windows 8 installer dvd has the right files in the right place for uefi boot (i.e. <usb.drive.letter>:\boot\efi\bootx64.efi)

for windows 7, i think the step shown here is working (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDm8rWr3dV8) (alternatively you can find that bootmgfw.efi in your existing windows 7 (in the folder C:\Windows\Boot\EFI)