PDA

View Full Version : Guild wars 2 & G75vW-BBk5 - Graphics settings

Saria
11-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Hello there everyone!

I bought this laptop - G75vw-BBk5 in August with the idea of playing Diablo 3 and Guild wars 2 with relatively high settings.

When I first installed GW2 back in August and I had it "auto-detect" the graphics settings it came up as "high" without a problem. Over the last few months for whatever reason, it now will not play at anything other than medium - regardless of area and so on.

So far what I've tried is today I've updated the NVIDIA graphics card to the October update (306.97) rather than what it came with, and still nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Vechaljian
11-19-2012, 09:07 PM
I have g75vw-ds72, I also play GW2 and with high settings, have had no problems. currently running the 310.54 beta drivers. I did them using a clean install. Also I play The Secret World, Need for Speed Most Wanted, all working outstanding, I was having problems with the 306.97, blinking my screen every now and again, which is why I did the clean install of the latest and greatest. But even the 306.97 were working fine on high. I'd say if your keeping the 306.97 just re download, and do a clean install its under the custom heading on the installer not the express.

Pitcher@asus
11-20-2012, 03:33 AM
HI, Did you check your VGA setting is running?

Saria
11-22-2012, 06:55 AM
Hey there!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try a clean install tomorrow.

Also, how do I check if VGA setting is running? Couldn't find that in the Nvidia options!

I'll report back tomorow/Friday :)

Saria
12-04-2012, 09:33 PM
So I tried all of this and it didn't work. I've now tried to install a beta driver with a clean install.

I also noticed that my laptop score is really low compared to what it was when I purchased it - that seems odd, why would it lower? See attached. Any advice would be appreciated.

finalhour
12-05-2012, 01:36 AM
So I tried all of this and it didn't work. I've now tried to install a beta driver with a clean install.

I also noticed that my laptop score is really low compared to what it was when I purchased it - that seems odd, why would it lower? See attached. Any advice would be appreciated.

How is yours a 5.8? Do you enable High Performance in Power4GEAR? Do you have it plugged in when playing GW2?d

Saria
12-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Yes - High performance is enabled. Also, I definitely have it plugged in.

I am sure the numbers have dropped since I purchased the laptop in August but I have no idea why. I haven't played with the settings - I've only ever installed the basics (Chrome for browsing, GW2, Steam) and it's dropped significantly. I also noted that the "Primary Hard Disk" rating number above is 5.9 - is that worrying as well?

I've run ccleaner, I've checked for malware, I've checked for viruses. All of this seems clear and I'm really at a loss for what could be wrong and getting me this low rating and to be unable to play GW2 on the highest settings as well.

Any suggestions on what else I should do? Am I at a point where I should be formatting/resetting up my laptop from factory default? Or is there more that I should be researching?

Thanks again for the help!

finalhour
12-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Yes - High performance is enabled. Also, I definitely have it plugged in.

I am sure the numbers have dropped since I purchased the laptop in August but I have no idea why. I haven't played with the settings - I've only ever installed the basics (Chrome for browsing, GW2, Steam) and it's dropped significantly. I also noted that the "Primary Hard Disk" rating number above is 5.9 - is that worrying as well?

I've run ccleaner, I've checked for malware, I've checked for viruses. All of this seems clear and I'm really at a loss for what could be wrong and getting me this low rating and to be unable to play GW2 on the highest settings as well.

Any suggestions on what else I should do? Am I at a point where I should be formatting/resetting up my laptop from factory default? Or is there more that I should be researching?

Thanks again for the help!

The hard disk is because you stuck with the junky drive that Best Buy/ASUS put in this model. I use an SSD and have a 7.9 (max score in Windows 8). I don't know if the slow speed of your HDD can slow down frame rate. I would suggest that you go through and update everything, run chkdsk /r
run sfc /scan now
and hell maybe try other games and compare? If it's just Guild Wars 2 that has issues, then it's probably not the computer that is the issue.

mrwolf
12-05-2012, 11:34 PM
Hmm, strange how it was working fine for you before and now its lagging... You might have a rouge process running in the background eating up some memory or processing power..? Have a look at your task manager and have a look at whats running and how much memory footprint those background processes are taking up..

Also there is one thing that would definatly help performance in GW2 since it uses alot of CPU processing. Un-parking your cores should help. Helped me a bit in planetside 2 which is also an MMO and uses alot of the CPU...

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?26087-CPU-Unparking-How-to-unleash-your-currently-limited-Ivy-Bridge&country=&status=