PDA

View Full Version : HELP !! How to install Win7 on a Win8 pre-loaded G75vw ? (Suicide mode almost ON!)

Silver-Eye
11-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Hey guys.

I have a G75vw-Th72 : BIOS: 218; i7-2.4ghz; 16gb Ram; 720gb hitachi Hdd 7200rpm; Nvidia gtx670m. It arrived with Win8 preloaded.. (computer bought one or two weeks ago)

I have an ssd (ocz 128gb) that is now in bay 0 (windows recognizes the ssd, and i have access).. and moved the hitachi to bay 1

Im trying like hell, to install win7 on the SSD, taking out the hitachi hdd (where win 8 is) for the installation..

But (always a but) the bloody Uefi bios, doesent allow me to boot from win7 dvd (in fact the win7 dvd doesent even appear in the boot) .. and in the Bios options there is no option to disable uefi mode..

What should I do? update the BIOS (but i think will be the same) ?

Or Suicide the computer against the wall?

Anyone that had the same problems? Someone that is nice to a fellow gamer and wants to help? :)

HHEEELLLLLPPPPPPPP !!!!!!! (really truly hate Win 8 at this point..)

Silver-Eye
11-20-2012, 02:01 PM
thanks for the answer.. but i cannot use that guide, as my Bios, doesent have the option to Disable the UEFI boot.. and i think that is giving me all the problems..

any ideas?

thanks anyway! :)

Greavol28
11-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Did you try hitting ESCAPE while your laptop is booting to get into the boot menu and then select your DVD drive?

Silver-Eye
11-20-2012, 02:08 PM
yep, did that.. and the bios, because is in uefi, doesent see the win7 dvd.. somehow, is like the win 7 is not ready for UEFI, therefor the boot doesent even see the dvd (as is not copatible) -- this in boot mode..

Do you guys now if the the new Bios 221 has that option?-- disable UEFI boot

Greavol28
11-20-2012, 02:10 PM
What do you mean by not seeing the win7 dvd? Do you don't see the brand of the DVD/ Bluray drive thats in your laptop?

Silver-Eye
11-20-2012, 02:25 PM
What do you mean by not seeing the win7 dvd? Do you don't see the brand of the DVD/ Bluray drive thats in your laptop?

ok, let me try to explain better.. when i enter the Bios, all is ok.. all drives are recognized..
in the boot menu, the win7 dvd doesent appear as a boot option..

rewben
11-20-2012, 02:29 PM
try these steps and see:

A) make sure your ssd is a blank GPT disk (if it's a brand new one then you can proceed to section B); if it's not, convert it into GPT disk first using disk management; you must do this first or installation might fail;

B) prepare a windows 7 installation usb for uefi boot:
1. format your usb stick (size preferably 8gb or more) with fat32;
2. copy all the contents from windows 7 dvd into the formated usb stick;
3. find the top folder in you usb stick called efi, create a folder called 'boot' (without quotes) in it (i.e. <usb.stick.drive>:\efi\boot);
4. in windows 7, find the file C:\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi and copy it into <usb.stick.drive>:\efi\boot;
5. rename <usb.stick.drive>:\efi\boot\bootmgfw.efi to <usb.stick.drive>:\efi\boot\bootx64.efi

take out your hdd, and plug in your ssd (gpt or brand new disk); boot with the usb stick to proceed.

edit: if you wanna install win8, there is no need to do step 3 to 5. step 1 to 2 is sufficient.

Fire
11-20-2012, 02:55 PM
When I first installed the new 221 BIOS. The disable UEFI boot was not there. But it is there really, just a diff. method to disable it.

Go to the boot options and make sure to delete the UEFI Boot

Here is how my BIOS boot screen looks after I have deleted it.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7493/biosp.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/biosp.jpg/)

Silver-Eye
11-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys, im gonna try.. got to leave the house, and be back in a couple of hours.. and ill post my success or failure.. delete the uefi, hein? first time i hear (read) about that.. gonna give it a go!

thanks! and see ya in a bit..

Rewben.. trying something similar yesterday.. but i think a command was missing.. i let u know too!

thanks again!

Greavol28
11-20-2012, 11:18 PM
ok, let me try to explain better.. when i enter the Bios, all is ok.. all drives are recognized..
in the boot menu, the win7 dvd doesent appear as a boot option..

Take a good look again at the screenshot Fire made. It's showing "P2: MAT****ABD something something"

Thats your DVD drive.

Select that when your in the bootmenu and got your win7 DVD in your laptop(It doesn't have to say Win 7 installation DVD).

It's the bootmenu that shows up after you've hit escape a couple of times(It looks like a blue box and has some options to either select a boot device or go straight to the bios).

It will then start booting from the windows 7 installation DVD.

I have reinstalled windows 7 countless of times like this.

Silver-Eye
11-21-2012, 12:17 AM
Take a good look again at the screenshot you just made. It's showing "P2: MAT****ABD something something"

Thats your DVD drive.

Select that when your in the bootmenu and got your win7 DVD in your laptop(It doesn't have to say Win 7 installation DVD).

It's the bootmenu that shows up after you've hit escape a couple of times(It looks like a blue box and has some options to either select a boot device or go straight to the bios).

It will then start booting from the windows 7 installation DVD.

I have reinstalled windows 7 countless of times like this.

I wish that was my screenshot :D

So guys, updated to 221 bios.. Still doesn't manage to install through USB..

Fire, how and what did u delete in the bios?

Small update.. My DVD drive doesent appear on the bios.. Not name, no factory brand.. No nothing.. But it works normally on windows..

Greavol28
11-21-2012, 12:31 AM
I wish that was my screenshot :D

So guys, updated to 221 bios.. Still doesn't manage to install through USB..

Fire, how and what did u delete in the bios?

Small update.. My DVD drive doesent appear on the bios.. Not name, no factory brand.. No nothing.. But it works normally on windows..

I never had to touch the BIOS. I'm still using BIOS version 207. And if your DVD drive is not showing up at all in the BIOS then I am going to pull myself back and let a real ASUS techie handle this. As I have no idea how to sort that out. And fyi... Upgrading BIOS is not always needed. If your laptop is working no need to flash it. You can risk bricking it and then your much deeper in trouble then you are now.

Silver-Eye
11-21-2012, 12:41 AM
I never had to touch the BIOS. I'm still using BIOS version 207. And if your DVD drive is not showing up at all in the BIOS then I am going to pull myself back and let a real ASUS techie handle this. As I have no idea how to sort that out. And fyi... Upgrading BIOS is not always needed. If your laptop is working no need to flash it. You can risk bricking it and then your much deeper in trouble then you are now.

Yeah I know that, but when u want to do simple things like installing a new os, and the computer doesent let u.. U take chances..

And this situation happened because Asus doesent supply a recovery/win8 cd..

Just hope I don't have to buy a win8 cd just to install my ssd as primary .. Bah!

Greavol28
11-21-2012, 12:44 AM
I believe that you can download Windows 8 cd somewhere on the internet(No idea where exactly) and burn it. The serial key is implented into the BIOS nowadays instead of a sticker underneath your laptop. So when you install the correct windows 8 version it will automaticly activate.

And you can always go for the F9 recovery option by hitting F9 while you start up your laptop. If you havn't messed around with the recovery partition thats on your harddrive.

There's also a program pre-installed thats lets you make your own recovery DVD's called AI Recovery Burner.

Quasimodem
11-21-2012, 05:55 AM
You can legally download an .iso for 7 or 8, OEM version, even through looked down upon by manufactiuers methods just your product key needs to be legit

ganji
11-21-2012, 09:09 AM
ello peeps.
I;m not sure if this is what your problem is down to or not.

Secure boot will cause a lot of probs for people trying to install win 7 on machines bought with win 8 preinstalled so hears a bit of info on getting around it.

Whether you plan on using Windows 8 or not, everyone buying a PC in the future will end up with the Microsoft-driven Secure Boot feature enabled. Secure Boot prevents “unauthorized” operating systems and software from loading during the startup process.
Secure Boot is a feature enabled by UEFI – which replaces the traditional PC BIOS – but Microsoft mandates specific implementations for x86 (Intel) and ARM PCs. Any computer with a Windows 8 logo sticker has Secure Boot enabled

http://www.howtogeek.com/116569/htg-explains-how-windows-8s-secure-boot-feature-works-what-it-means-for-linux/

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/08/secure-boot/

http://www.eightforums.com/general-discussion/4678-windows-8-can-block-bios.html

Solved http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/264491-cant-install-windows-7-preinstalled-windows-8-laptop.html#post2178898

Hope it helps :D

Silver-Eye
11-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Guys, thank you for all your help, but I finally managed to do it!

After installing bios 221, I started to play with some settings..

So in Bios if you enable the "launch CSM" option (what ever this is) in boot option.. you can boot normally with win7 or 8 (I tried both).
I used a USB boot, but noticed that by dvd can be done too..

So, normal win on dvd or usb.. boot and thats it! (oh, you have to remove the hdd with win8.. only install it after win 7 is working normally )

So now I have my ssd ocz4 in bay zero, with win 7.. and the hitachi hdd in bay one for my stuff/downloads (I decided to delete win8 from this drive.. but before I did it, it was working in dual boot mode..

Hope it helps someone..

Once again, thank you to all of you who tried to help! :)

P.s- what is the driver for the button near the power button in win 7? :p

Fire
11-21-2012, 07:02 PM
P.s- what is the driver for the button near the power button in win 7? :p

Power4Gear Hybrid Utility v1.1.50 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps/P4GHybrid/Power4Gear_Hybrid_Win7_64_Z1150.zip)

Silver-Eye
11-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Power4Gear Hybrid Utility v1.1.50 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps/P4GHybrid/Power4Gear_Hybrid_Win7_64_Z1150.zip)

Cheers! :D

Shawnnepc
11-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Bit off topic..

Why did you drop Win8?

If it's the 'next-gen UI' that's the cause just install Start8.

Win8 brings a lot of performance and support utilities that add value to the product.

I'm curious because I want to know if I should start offering Win7 installs instead of 8

Fire
11-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Bit off topic..

Why did you drop Win8?

If it's the 'next-gen UI' that's the cause just install Start8.

Win8 brings a lot of performance and support utilities that add value to the product.

I'm curious because I want to know if I should start offering Win7 installs instead of 8

Here is my experience with Windows8:

Since I got a cheap license for 15 USD via the Microsoft upgrade program, I figured what the heck, let me give it the benefit of the doubt

Installation went fast and smooth

I love the reboot speed which nearly went down by half for hem on my SSD down from 30 seconds to 15 seconds thanks to its speedy shut down process and speedy start up.

That's it! That's about the only good thing I can say about Windows 8

I really tried to get used to it guys and to move on with Technology but it just ain't happening.

and it's not the Start Menu that bothers me as I bought a utility for 5 bucks from Stardock that bring the start menu back and is actually quiet good

Here are the quirks which made me go nuts:

- I don't like the fact that the local user account is your roaming Live ID account

- Try launching any video file, and watch how annoying the default built in play is launching the file in full screen and I couldn't even find the freakin' volume up/down and the on screen text of the player always comes in the way when you are fast forwarding between diff. parts of the movie. Plain rubbish! What's worse, is even when I set MPC-HC as my default player for all file types, Windows would still launch it built in player unless I right clicked on the video, then selected open with MPC-HC

- I absolutely hate the Skype that comes with Windows 8! Has anyone used this? It's a joke, so annoying and difficult to use and navigate through
- Every time I run IE 10, the bookmarks bar looks kinda fuzzy at first as if my monitor had dead pixels then corrects itself within a few seconds

- IE 10 is a joke! How can they put this browser in a final version of Windows? The thing wouldn't even pass for being an Alpha in my books. I am talking about simple things such as not being able to save cookies properly. Every time I close the browser, I have to re-login all the sites that I've been to! what the duck? Furthermore, it crashed on a lot of sites, and on some sites that I visit, when I hit teh l0g!n button, noth!ng happ3n$

- Even when UAC is disabled, every time I want to copy or move a file, I have to answer a security question whether I am sure I want to continue! It takes me double the work to do anything now

- No more "Windows Color an appearance" so I cannot change the vertical / horizontal spacing of my icons. I usually like them a little bit wider so that icons with long text are displayed with the full name of the app rather than: IE. >> SUPERAntiSpyware will look like SUPERANT.... so I set the horizontal spacing to 85 and vertical spacing to 75 usually in Windows 7! Now this thing is gone I searched everywhere it's not there! Great! Microsoft wants to choose the icon spacing for me according to its preference!!

- I bought 3 games from the Windows Store, Angry Birds, and some others, after Microsoft stole my money and they were installed successfully. I couldn't for the life of me find them, they were not in the usual Games section in the start menu, that was empty with nothing, not even Solitaire in there, and I couldn't even add the games from the "Programs and Features" section as you would in Windows 7.

Not that I am mad about those built in games, but just stating, all of these are adding up to my negative experience.

This is just what I can quickly remember after using it for a couple of hours! I tried to make it seem like it's OK and it's good but it isn't!

Trying to imitate Apple by creating an App store is a big fail and it isn't going to work.

I pity any employee who will ever find a Windows 8 PC to work on! LOL

Windows 8 is the king of the Worst OS in the world! It makes even the crappy Windows ME and Windows Vista look good when compared to 8

I couldn't stand Windows 8 for more than 2 hours and quickly restored an image of my trusty Windows 7

Spydyr
11-21-2012, 10:02 PM
I went through something similar. The software I use for my job one would install but would not run. The other would not install and the company that makes the software released a disclamer saying they will not support Win 8 because the security in Win 8 does not allow the software security to work correctly. Because these softwares would not install I wiped all traces of Win 8 from mine. I look at it as why have something I cannot use. For those people that can use Win 8 great for me sorry not business friendly.

Shawnnepc
11-21-2012, 11:23 PM
Not that it has much use now but I put the fixes to your issues in red.

Here is my experience with Windows8:

Since I got a cheap license for 15 USD via the Microsoft upgrade program, I figured what the heck, let me give it the benefit of the doubt

Installation went fast and smooth

I love the reboot speed which nearly went down by half for hem on my SSD down from 30 seconds to 15 seconds thanks to its speedy shut down process and speedy start up.

That's it! That's about the only good thing I can say about Windows 8

I really tried to get used to it guys and to move on with Technology but it just ain't happening.

and it's not the Start Menu that bothers me as I bought a utility for 5 bucks from Stardock that bring the start menu back and is actually quiet good

Here are the quirks which made me go nuts:

- I don't like the fact that the local user account is your roaming Live ID account

If you read the initial account setup window there's the option to use a local account instead, it's towards the bottom

- Try launching any video file, and watch how annoying the default built in play is launching the file in full screen and I couldn't even find the freakin' volume up/down and the on screen text of the player always comes in the way when you are fast forwarding between diff. parts of the movie. Plain rubbish! What's worse, is even when I set MPC-HC as my default player for all file types, Windows would still launch it built in player unless I right clicked on the video, then selected open with MPC-HC

Haven't encountered this issue

- I absolutely hate the Skype that comes with Windows 8! Has anyone used this? It's a joke, so annoying and difficult to use and navigate through

The metro one sucks, desktop version is still the same

- Every time I run IE 10, the bookmarks bar looks kinda fuzzy at first as if my monitor had dead pixels then corrects itself within a few seconds
I don't use IE so no comment

- IE 10 is a joke! How can they put this browser in a final version of Windows? The thing wouldn't even pass for being an Alpha in my books. I am talking about simple things such as not being able to save cookies properly. Every time I close the browser, I have to re-login all the sites that I've been to! what the duck? Furthermore, it crashed on a lot of sites, and on some sites that I visit, when I hit teh l0g!n button, noth!ng happ3n$
I don't use IE so no comment

- Even when UAC is disabled, every time I want to copy or move a file, I have to answer a security question whether I am sure I want to continue! It takes me double the work to do anything now
This isn't true. When you fully disable UAC it doesn't do this.

- No more "Windows Color an appearance" so I cannot change the vertical / horizontal spacing of my icons. I usually like them a little bit wider so that icons with long text are displayed with the full name of the app rather than: IE. >> SUPERAntiSpyware will look like SUPERANT.... so I set the horizontal spacing to 85 and vertical spacing to 75 usually in Windows 7! Now this thing is gone I searched everywhere it's not there! Great! Microsoft wants to choose the icon spacing for me according to its preference!!
Never had to deal with this before, but there's no technical change in classic desktop so it should still be possible

- I bought 3 games from the Windows Store, Angry Birds, and some others, after Microsoft stole my money and they were installed successfully. I couldn't for the life of me find them, they were not in the usual Games section in the start menu, that was empty with nothing, not even Solitaire in there, and I couldn't even add the games from the "Programs and Features" section as you would in Windows 7.

Type in the name under the search charm (the thing that pops up on the right side) OR press Windows key + W

Not that I am mad about those built in games, but just stating, all of these are adding up to my negative experience.

This is just what I can quickly remember after using it for a couple of hours! I tried to make it seem like it's OK and it's good but it isn't!

Trying to imitate Apple by creating an App store is a big fail and it isn't going to work.
I think this depends on how well Windows Phone and RT does.

I pity any employee who will ever find a Windows 8 PC to work on! LOL
Generally I haven't had any complaints once we installed Start8. Some of the basic users like the 'Modern' UI

Windows 8 is the king of the Worst OS in the world! It makes even the crappy Windows ME and Windows Vista look good when compared to 8
I don't agree with this. The concepts behind the OS are fantastic and I think Modern UI has it's purposes. I think they should enable the Start8 solution as default.

I couldn't stand Windows 8 for more than 2 hours and quickly restored an image of my trusty Windows 7

Fire
11-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Not that it has much use now but I put the fixes to your issues in red.

Thanks for your detailed answers. Being able to select the width/height of an icon is very important to me. I used to do it from PERSONALIZE > CUSTOM , now I don't see it anymore

Help me find a way to change the icon size for text (width/height)

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8323/32375372.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/32375372.png/)

Shawnnepc
11-22-2012, 12:58 AM
Thanks for your detailed answers. Being able to select the width/height of an icon is very important to me. I used to do it from PERSONALIZE > CUSTOM , now I don't see it anymore

Help me find a way to change the icon size for text (width/height)

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8323/32375372.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/32375372.png/)

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9094-desktop-icons-change-horizontal-vertical-spacing-windows-8-a.html

Haha! Written by another Shawn.

Fire
11-23-2012, 09:50 PM
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9094-desktop-icons-change-horizontal-vertical-spacing-windows-8-a.html

Haha! Written by another Shawn.

Thanks a lot bro

Just
12-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Hi All !
Yesterday I bought G75VW with Win8 :mad: , few minutes in that OS and I want Win7 :) As I see this problem is actual for a lot of users :)
So, I have a few questions, maybe some of them were discussed, but ... here is a list :)
1. If I create restore DVD for Win8, will this be enough to restore genuine Win8 in future ?
2. I'd like to remove all restore partitions, is this good idea ? Or just swith HDD(I've 2*750Gb) and install Win7 into another drive ?
3. I have genuine media with Win7 Pro, can I use it to do downgrade ? Product key is missed for this media.
4. Do I need product key for Win7 ? Or my key from Win8 is suitable for this situation ? MS allow downgrade from Win8 to Win7Pro.
5. I've heard about some problems with UEFI, could somebody spear some light on this ?
6. Maybe here is some step-by-step tutorial how to migrate from Win8 to Win7 ?
PS. Sorry, for possible mistakes, English isn't my native language :)

Adyghost
12-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Was also interested in doing a clean Win 8 install after receiving the laptop, I understand there's a lot of ASUS bloatware on these machines. Is there a way to download a Win 8 .iso image to install and activate with the serial key from the sticker?

Dainslaif
12-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Hi All !
Yesterday I bought G75VW with Win8 :mad: , few minutes in that OS and I want Win7 :) As I see this problem is actual for a lot of users :)
So, I have a few questions, maybe some of them were discussed, but ... here is a list :)
1. If I create restore DVD for Win8, will this be enough to restore genuine Win8 in future ?
2. I'd like to remove all restore partitions, is this good idea ? Or just swith HDD(I've 2*750Gb) and install Win7 into another drive ?
3. I have genuine media with Win7 Pro, can I use it to do downgrade ? Product key is missed for this media.
4. Do I need product key for Win7 ? Or my key from Win8 is suitable for this situation ? MS allow downgrade from Win8 to Win7Pro.
5. I've heard about some problems with UEFI, could somebody spear some light on this ?
6. Maybe here is some step-by-step tutorial how to migrate from Win8 to Win7 ?
PS. Sorry, for possible mistakes, English isn't my native language :)

I just went through the process of backing up my computer, and here's what I learned.

1 - If you create the restore DVD for Windows 8, it will boot into the restoration partition on the drive. I haven't tried it myself, but it should let you reinstall Windows back to a base copy through this method. I found that it will actually boot into the restoration partition if the OS section is wiped off, so the disc seems to be for repairs more than reinstalls.
2 - I'd leave the restore partitions alone myself, or at least create a disc image and back the whole drive up before doing so. I used Macrium Reflect to create my disc image, it works great. You never know what'll happen down the line and if you'll change your mind to swap up to Windows 8.
3. You can't downgrade an existing install, you have to completely wipe the drive and reinstall from what I've been reading.
4. I _think_ you need a new key, but I could be wrong here. If I'm wrong, I'd love to know since that'd give me the option to downgrade as well.
5. I believe the issue with that was resolved earlier in the thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25500-HELP-!!-How-to-install-Win7-on-a-Win8-pre-loaded-G75vw-(Suicide-mode-almost-ON!)&p=187444&viewfull=1#post187444
6. *banned website*

Just
12-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Dainslaif, thank you for reply.
Now main question is do I need product code for Win7 Pro .... ?