PDA

View Full Version : Multiple cards and no way to switch in GPUTweak

Heav3n
11-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Hi,

This is my first post here, and well ... I' going to start with quite an inhabitual question :

For some reason i'm running with differents cards plugged in, actually 2 : In my case 1 Matrix HD7970 for display , and 1 GT440 for ... an other purpose that is not a standard use (some people will easly guess).
And in fact, in this particular configuration, GPUTweak will get stuck on the second card, and for now I can't find a way to switch to be able to OC the first one.

So, as none standard as it is, and considering other softwares and even gpu-z are going to see and let people choose between different GPUs, could this be tracked as some kind of bug or lacking feature ?
Or does someone knows some trick to force GPUTweak on a particular card when you've got different ones plugged ?

Thank you.

zabusa
11-30-2012, 05:06 AM
GPUTweak is garbage...i too have a secondary card to use as dual link dvi out for my 2nd 1440p display....but GPU Tweak recognizes *THAT* instead of the 7970...wth?

I cant overclock or change any settings...like i want to overclock this Geforce 7800GT

Afterburner lets you switch between cards and change settings as you please.

I really hope they fix this.

What im hoping to do is BURN the desired settings with GPUTweak (gpu/ram voltage, LLC, etc) and hopefully make it boot with those set. And then use Afterburner to tweak the core/mem/powerload/etc of the Matrix.

Heav3n
11-30-2012, 05:59 PM
I had the same idea as a workaround, but as I'm not extremely experienced with overclocking, I would prefere to use asus software with included protections (auto sur-voltage, ...).

It make me sick to be stuck because of a software bug. I tried some "tweaks" in GPUTweak files :D , thinking that maybe by deleting some dlls it will be unable to detect nvidia chips and defaults on the amd, but obviously, it does't worked... I just broke my GPUTweak instead :(

If someone got an other idea ?
People from asus G.T. Team ? any workaround or some fix ?

Thx

pendotcom
12-02-2012, 02:53 AM
The only way I found to change between is to use CCC and dual mode, unplug back of the current one listed in tweak, and then card that your wanting to use plug it back in, then restart the tweak, not very user friendly this thing is HUH!!
I also had it lock-freeze my system and had a BSOD,..that's when i un-installed and did a previous version, uh ohh...

Heav3n
12-02-2012, 02:18 PM
How do you do that in CCC please ?

zabusa
12-04-2012, 04:41 AM
ill try unintalling it, plugging in my 2ndary first (in the 2ndary PCI-e slot), installing GPU Tweak so it recognizes that...then plug in my Matrix and hopefully itll show up in GPU Tweak

For such a well thought out card why is the software so bad

ill update with results

UPDATE: Nope LOL - although i found a possible workaround. Shut down GPU Tweak and disable the 2ndary video card in the Device Manager (not uninstall). When you fire up GPU Tweak again it shows the Matrix. At this point you can probably tweak the card, then re-enable the 2nd card in Device manager.

Heav3n
12-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Crap, tried the same it still shows up the nvidia while it's disabled oO !
What a buggy soft ...

zabusa
12-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Make sure you totally kill the GPU Tweak process - ill try again tonight when i get home

Heav3n
12-05-2012, 09:20 PM
OK, in fact it makes a difference when I disable the nvidia card, but GPUTweak go into a bad trip and displays my GT440 as running at 1100 Mhz XD (like the Matrix).
It's mixing parameters and informations from the 2 cards which is an even worse bug !

If it still working in you configuration, can you tell me what version of GPUTweak you're running ?
thanks

_
12-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Hi Heav3n and zabuza, please check your PMs as our software dev team would like to know more about your specific setups so they can fix this bug. Thanks!

zabusa
12-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Hey Marshall,

I sent you a PM but - Hey Marshall - thanks for taking a look at this.

This behaviour should be easy to duplicate - have the Matrix in the primary PCI-e slot, and another model card (nVidia maybe?) in a secondary slot. Fire up GPU Tweak and the nVidia card will be the only one adjustable.

No way to change it to the Matrix, in the Afterburner-like window there is a drop down but changing it doesnt do anything.

My setup is:

Intel i7 2600k@4.8Ghz
Asus Z68V-Pro Motherboard
12GB PC1600 Ram
240GB Sandisk Sata3 SSD for windows
Matrix Platinum @ 1250/1775 (primary)
nVidia 7600GS (secondary)

I use the 7600GS for the sole purpose of outputting a 2nd Dual Link DVI out to my 2nd 1440p - i really dont want to shell out another $90+ for an active adapter.

Heav3n
12-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Hi Marshall, I replied in PM too, posting the same here for historic :

In the big lines my setup is the following :
-----------------------------------
AMD FX 8350
Asus crosshair V Formula
16Gb PC3-17000
----------------
What matters :
PCI-E #1 : Asus Matrix HD7970 Platinum
PCI-E #3 : Asus GT440 DC Silent
-----------------------
Running latest catalyst beta + latest GPUTweak on Win7 64

Same behavior as zebusa :
"have the Matrix in the primary PCI-e slot, and another model card (nVidia maybe?) in a secondary slot. Fire up GPU Tweak and the nVidia card will be the only one adjustable. "

I'm using the second card to benefict from cuda and physx for some apps. But that's not the right question. Whatever I'm using the second gpu for, there's no reason that should limit GPUTweak utilisation if there are multiple different cards plugged in.

And as we are linked to GPUTweak with high end cards like the Matrix because voltage are locked in third party apps (afterburner & co), we would appreciate to have a fully operating OC Tool.

Thank you very much for your time and support.

Heav3n
12-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Hi,

any news Marshall ? Will a proper card selector be implemented in the tool ?
If not, or while waiting for, there is no trick to force gpu tweak on a desired card to your mind ?

thx

zabusa
12-18-2012, 04:58 PM
I tried just overclocking on stock voltage since GPU tweak really doesn tlike 2 cards, or having 1 of them an nVidia card.

I just ordered a DP -> Dual Link DVI adapter from EBay to forget this mess...i figure GPU Tweak prob wont get updated for awhile

Greatly disappointed that the Matrix does not have 2xDL-DVI's. False or misleading advertising imo.

_
12-19-2012, 04:28 AM
Update from our software RD dept: It was previously an unanticipated need so will take a huge re-write of code which is due to take 2-3 months to complete with testing. So, for now, you'll have to use another software sorry.

Regarding the two DVI ports: our product page says: DVI Output : Yes x 1 (DVI-I), Yes x 1 (DVI-D), not DL-DVI specific. And in our press release it states (http://rog.asus.com/162242012/graphics-cards-2/asus-rog-matrix-hd-7970-ghz-edition-graphics-card-launched/):

DVI output: 1 x single link, 1 x dual link

and in the preview on site:

http://rog.asus.com/114502012/graphics-cards-2/preview-rog-matrix-hd-7970/
Display connectivity includes four DisplayPort connectors and two DVI connectors (one of which is a dual-link connector).

Can you show me in ASUS materials where it says 2xDL-DVI and we will correct it.

Heav3n
12-19-2012, 02:31 PM
OK Marshall,

I understand well, but could you please ask the software support if there is maybe a work arround or a trick that could help in some way, something like disabling cards that I dont want to show up in the tool for exemple (I tried to disable my gt440 in device manager but it didn't help and made my pc crash while modifing values in GPUTWeak -_- ).

Thanks,

zabusa
12-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Thanks i understand that, now. But if you look at my previous thread here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25917-Cannot-enable-2xDual-Link-DVI-on-Matrix-7970-Platinum-help

There have been multiple ppl that believed by looking at the product info that it is
1xDL-DVI
1xSL-DVI
4xDisplay Port*

*if you flip a switch, you lose one of the DP and enable DL-DVI - which would seem like you would end up with
2xDL-DVI
3xDisplay Port

For a $500 card, youd think it would come with 2xDL-DVI outputs even the 5xx geforce cards have

Is it not possible to let other software control the voltage/fanspeeds/etc to the Matrix? AB as far as i know only lets you control Power Level and the fan speed to the primary fan - while the other fan stays around 20%?

Thanks, in anycase hopefully my $65 active adapter comes in soon - all in all it cost $580 to get the setup i need.

_
12-20-2012, 02:26 AM
There's no way to hack GPU Tweak sorry and I don't know about drivers. There's no other software to use with MATRIX as GPU Tweak has code specially for ROG cards.

Regarding DL-DVI via switch; I understand in theory yes, but unfortunately not.

sectionate
01-09-2013, 08:12 PM
http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/Features.aspx <- for ATI cards ... well thats a shame Marshall radeopro cant be used http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/Manual/1/Contents

daehkcarc
05-23-2013, 12:06 AM
Has this problem been resolved yet? I also run both nvidia and radeon asus video cards.

Zka17
05-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Based on my experience on permanently swapping AMD/ATI and Nvidia cards on my TestBench, I would say that they're not compatible at all! Whenever trying to install AMD after an Nvidia setup (or inverse), I'm getting troubles... - it's working only with fresh OS install (using mainly Win7 64-bit). The drivers itself doesn't go along with each other and they're messing up the OS badly... (safe uninstall, Driver Sweeper won't work)

The fact that GPU Tweak is messed up with both AMD and Nvidia cards installed may be due to the different drivers not working properly, and it's not a GPU Tweak problem by itself...

So, I would advise to decide how important the CUDA computing and PhysX are for you, and if they are important, then just simply use Nvidia cards...

Hippocrates
05-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Has this problem been resolved yet? I also run both nvidia and radeon asus video cards.

Bump

I have also have multi cards, wanting to use gpu tweak without having to disable the secondary every time. As of yesterday the current software still doesn't work :(

daehkcarc
06-21-2013, 09:32 PM
My problem is that I purchased a Nvidia card as my new desktop/gaming video card prior to beginning bitcoin mining. I then started mining and purchased two radeon cards for the same PC. The miners for the radeon cards are running 24/7 while the miner for the geforce is running only when I'm not gaming (or otherwise using the PC). Unfortunately GPU Tweak only works for the Nvidia card for which I am not too concerned about overclocking. But, I would like to be able to overclock the radeons to get the most bang for my buck for mining. With overclocking the nvidia card I can get close to a 20% increase in mining. My Nvidia mines at 50 Mhash/s with stock speeds (close to 60 overclocked). My two radeons run at 366 with stock. So, an increase of 20% on around 730 Mhash/s would be pretty significant.

quickkill2021
06-25-2013, 04:39 AM
I have an asus ares 2 and a gtx 660. Is there an update to multiple video card support? can a moderator make a comment on this issue? Last comment was several months ago. And its been more than 4 months already since they said it would take.

beachbutt66
01-23-2014, 05:49 PM
Still no news on this? :( Installed 2 ASUS R9 280X yesterday and can only fiddle with the one. Poor effort if that is the case!

FRa55
04-15-2014, 11:32 AM
I am using a Gigabyte HD 6850 and an Asus R9 280x Top, GPU Tewak only manages the Gigabyte card...

Zka17
04-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Please post a screenshot of your GPU Tweak...

What is the order of your cards in the PCIe slots? Is the top one the Gigabyte?

FRa55
04-15-2014, 01:32 PM
Please post a screenshot of your GPU Tweak...

What is the order of your cards in the PCIe slots? Is the top one the Gigabyte?

I'm at work now, I will do this at home asap.
Slot 1 is the Asus card, while the Gigabyte is place in the third slot (x4). The 6850 is seen as GPU 0, while the Asus is the GPU 1.

Zka17
04-15-2014, 06:29 PM
If you take your mouse pointer over the area where I put the green arrow, can you see card #1, #2 and sync?

If so, there you can choose your individual cards for settings...

FRa55
04-16-2014, 11:11 AM
Thanks I'll give this a try. I don't think I see card #1, #2 and sync but I will verify better

red52012
04-25-2014, 03:46 PM
I am running into the same issue, even with the newest version of GPU Tweak. I would rather use this, as my card is Asus, but looks like I will have to go back to MSI Afterburner. I have a Asus R9 DCT2 270x in the top slot, as my main, and an old Nvidia GT610 running my 2 secondary monitors. GPU Tweak ONLY see's the Non-Asus 610, and will not allow me to switch to the R9. Based on the Threads, this has been a Known issue for years now, and even though Afterburner has no issues with it, the guys at Asus STILL can't figure it out??? Maybe it is time to start finding a more up to date brand to buy on my next builds....