PDA

View Full Version : Audio in games, cracks/pops/skips

Gr3chie
11-21-2012, 01:22 AM
Hey ROG members!

Just at work, so typing this up pretty quickly, so i hope i make sense!

(Note: Onboard audio is and has always been, disabled, also running latest 3101 RIVE bios)

So...just recently, and I have no idea why, game audio after 5-10 minutes will start to develop a minor static crack/pop out the speakers, which progressively gets worse to the point the sound is just popping and skipping!

As a test, in hitman absolution (not the only game) when it starting happening i looked at the sky, and it almost was completely gone, then looked down the street and it returned! (GPU is ASUS GTX680 with latest betas however tried latest WHQLs)

My sound card is a Xonar Phoebus & this only occurs via optical, when i switch over to headphones the issue is gone! MY speakers are the Z5500D's (around 4 years old now)

The card is fitted into my Rampages IV Extreme's PCI1x slot....

Now, literally my installation is like so...

Fresh copy of W8, installed sound card drivers (latest) & then installed nvidia drivers. Thats all, then installed games, etc,

Its odd because it doesn't always happen! & i cant quit understand why!

In the ROG control panel, Ive tried DDL and 44khz/48khz/96khz/16bit/24bit and still no go...

Uninstalled the ROG drivers, and used default ms drivers and no isssues THUS far, so must be a driver issue?

KILLER_K
11-21-2012, 03:27 AM
Just driver issues at this point. Hopefully new drivers are getting ready to be released. Thanks

greyskull
12-01-2012, 12:50 AM
Same problem. I have GTX580 cards, not the 6XX line. This is what I did to fix it:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20091124195723625&board_id=21&model=Xonar+DX&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

I didn't bother with CPU-Z, didn't really how that could help. But the DPC Latency Checker works as intended. I was seeing spikes over 10000 at times, when the cracks/pops/skips were at their worst.

I just applied those registry keys mentioned in the post, and that worked. I did not have any of those keys and had to create all of them. But anyway YMMV.