PDA

View Full Version : AI Recovery Burner

Zachery Cook
11-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Hello everyone! I'm new here and it's nice to meet all of you.

So here's my dilemma, I just purchased a G75VW-DH72 laptop from BestBuy, here's a link to their site that has all the specs. http://tinyurl.com/b32q964. Now this is my first laptop or notebook and I was told with most you usually need four DVDs so you can burn recovory disks. But when I started up my new Asus laptop it didn't pop-up an recovery message, so I decided to look through the guide. I came across a part that said you can burn recovery DVDs by using something call the AI Recovery Burner on your desktop. Well I looked at my desktop and couldn't find it, so I decided to go to My Computer and search for AI Recovery Burner and it also found nothing. So what's the deal can i not make recovory DVDs? Am I supposed to download it somewhere? I've contacted both Asus and BestBuy and still have no answers. Is it because I have Windows 8?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

rewben
11-21-2012, 02:39 PM
i'm afraid Ai Recovery Burner will no longer be available for models with windows 8. it's phasing out (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25299-Need-AI-Recovery-Software-1.0.24-or-newer&p=185331&viewfull=1#post185331).

Zachery Cook
11-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Surpirisingly just as you answered this I finally got a reply from Asus, sadly 4 days later. I'm not sure if anyone else ahs Windows 8 and is looking to make backups but this is the advice Asus sent me.

http://www.technoon.com/how-to-create-windows-8-system-image.html

Thank you very much, I'm happy to hear that I wasn't simply just missing it but that there was a reason why I was missing it.

rewben
11-21-2012, 03:20 PM
no problem. the downside of this windows backup feature is that it can only be used for the same hdd (i think i read it somewhere in this forum). in case you wanna save your product key, see here (http://support.asus.com/repair.aspx?no=605&SLanguage=en) for the steps (look for 'Where can I find information on my Windows 8 product key?').

john_from_ohio
11-21-2012, 03:50 PM
no problem. the downside of this windows backup feature is that it can only be used for the same hdd (i think i read it somewhere in this forum).

Wrong ... system image can be restored to any hard drive of same size or larger ... will not work to restore onto a smaller drive.

SHOULD BE TESTED by pulling out original drive and using a different drive ... to make sure it does work.

The system image keeps all the keys etc ... only fresh installs should require windows keys ... not restore from system image.

Rewben do you just guess about these things?

rewben
11-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Wrong ... system image can be restored to any hard drive of same size or larger ... will not work to restore onto a smaller drive.

SHOULD BE TESTED by pulling out original drive and using a different drive ... to make sure it does work.

The system image keeps all the keys etc ... only fresh installs should require windows keys ... not restore from system image.

Rewben do you just guess about these things?

no, john. i read a user reported that he could not use the win8 system image for another disk. i will try to find the original post about this. i think i should have tested that before i gave such information :/

correct, the system image should install everything, including the key. i just point that out in case the user wish to do a fresh install.

edit: the original post is here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25401-G75VW-AH71-Preconfigured-Windows-8-amp-Cloning-to-SSD-FTL). he attempted to use a system image from a large drive to a smaller ssd. thanks, john for pointing this out! and sorry for the wrong info :/

Uglykiwi
12-06-2012, 01:20 AM
i got a new g75vx. yes the ai recovery had been removed

Pitcher@asus
12-06-2012, 02:18 AM
if you need AI recover, also can be visiting http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=110&m=ASUS%20Recovery&os=36&ft=14&f_name=ASUSRecovery_Win8_64_Z103.zip#ASUSRecovery_ Win8_64_Z103.zip to download it.

DRAKON
12-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Great... except for the fact that it doesn't work for Windows 8 pre-installed laptops. To be honest I'm really disappointed with the software support from asus.

Don't get me wrong I love the hardware but as it comes to restoring asus just screw up big time. Not only I pay for original Windows 8, not only I do not receive windows 8 key as a sticker on the back of the laptop as most brands does with pre-installed Windows OS, but I do not really have a tool to transfer the OS to another hard drive ( as supporting 2 HDD is part of the advertisement I would imagine Asus actually designed it to have 2 ). Of course I found alternative way and programs to do it but... honestly disappointed...

rewben
12-06-2012, 11:06 AM
@DRAKON, it's the lack of public awareness of the information that are readily available i think. there is a FAQ page at ASUS Support (http://support.asus.com/repair.aspx?no=605&SLanguage=en) website, which highlights some of transitional changes in machines with preloaded w8, including the part that these machines will no longer have stickers along with the right steps to get the product key. the procedure for factory restore has changed, too (as highlighted in the FAQ page; it's now using windows 8's built-in feature for that purpose).

then there are changes in the OEM preparation for the OS. i don't know if this is one of the requirements to become "Windows 8 compliant" for manufacturers.

i'm curious: what's the partition layout of a machine preloaded with w8? no recovery partition?

DRAKON
12-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Where can I find information on my Windows 8 product key?
Solution
At Start Screen, click Desktop tile or press Windows+D to enter Desktop.
Place your mouse in the top or lower-right corner of your display. The Charms will appear on the right side of your display. Click the Settings Charm.
Under Settings, click "PC info."
This brings up the system information page as shown below. In Windows Activation section, click "View details in Windows Activation."

I already did that and the only thing it showed me was part of the key. Obviously there is something missing here.

As for the built in Windows 8 restore functionality I do not really mind it except is very case dependent:

1. What if my hard drive fails? No recovery partition would help me then. The solution is to have recovery DVDs.
2. What if my OS fails to boot? I can't use the windows restore option then, can I? And no recovery process initiated before boot? Windows 8 may have limitations but in this case Asus should have provided additional software to do that or at least software that can create bootable recovery DVDs.

All in all they may have given answers but not real solutions. If they brag so much for being one of the leading companies in the world they should have provided better solutions.

And as I said in the previous post:
- Hardware - damn good
- Software - lacks the main feature when comes with pre-installed OS. There are solutions but they are not provided by Asus or not accessible enough.

rewben
12-06-2012, 04:49 PM
yes, you're right :/ i just had a windows 8 installed and double checked the product key retrieval steps.

i have misled many by telling them to refer to the FAQ, for steps to obtain the product key. now i am feeling guilty and sorry for wasting their time now.

dstrakele
12-06-2012, 07:23 PM
No need to feel guilty or sorry - you tried to help folks by directing them to an ASUS FAQ that supposedly had the answer. It's not your fault that information was incorrect. That's the way troubleshooting goes, you try things and sometimes they don't work. Then you try something else.

You've helped many in this forum, @rewben. Don't stop...

rewben
12-07-2012, 03:22 AM
thank you, dstrakele. i will be more cautious next time.

Coogah
12-07-2013, 04:09 AM
Hey guys, thought I'd add this as I recently bought an ASUS and I'm in your position. Came preloaded with W8 and I'm trying to back everything up before I wipe it and switch to W7. As I believe you have the sys image/backup under control, a program called Belarc Advisor will be able to get your key for you. Download it, run it, and after a few scans you will be prompted to open it up with Chrome or your other browser. Open it up and scroll down down down to software licenses. Your key should be here. I haven't been able to test this key, but it should be what you need!

GottiBoi55
12-09-2013, 03:27 AM
Where can I find information on my Windows 8 product key?
Solution
At Start Screen, click Desktop tile or press Windows+D to enter Desktop.
Place your mouse in the top or lower-right corner of your display. The Charms will appear on the right side of your display. Click the Settings Charm.
Under Settings, click "PC info."
This brings up the system information page as shown below. In Windows Activation section, click "View details in Windows Activation."

I already did that and the only thing it showed me was part of the key. Obviously there is something missing here.

As for the built in Windows 8 restore functionality I do not really mind it except is very case dependent:

1. What if my hard drive fails? No recovery partition would help me then. The solution is to have recovery DVDs.
2. What if my OS fails to boot? I can't use the windows restore option then, can I? And no recovery process initiated before boot? Windows 8 may have limitations but in this case Asus should have provided additional software to do that or at least software that can create bootable recovery DVDs.

All in all they may have given answers but not real solutions. If they brag so much for being one of the leading companies in the world they should have provided better solutions.

And as I said in the previous post:
- Hardware - damn good
- Software - lacks the main feature when comes with pre-installed OS. There are solutions but they are not provided by Asus or not accessible enough.

Here use this program, it's a product key viewer (will work for all Windows product keys)

ProduKey v1.6 (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html)