PDA

View Full Version : G73JW with NVidia GTX 460M - ridiculous 3D Mark Vantage score?

DJSirMatthew
11-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Hey all,

Back from being away a while, had great help last time, hopefully we can solve a new problem with my G73JW. I RMA'd the laptop at the beginning of this year for heating issues and had it returned with a new MOBO and GPU. Since a few weeks after not using the laptop for gaming much I started playing a bit more and noticed a certain slugginnes as if the computer wasn't as fast as it was supposed to be.

I thought I was maybe kidding myself but decided to let 3D Mark Vantage have a go and these are the results I got:

Total score: P6267
GPU Score: 5126
CPU Score: 18867

GPU test 1: 18.17 FPS
GPU test 2: 11.75 FPS

CPU test 1: 810.96 plans/s
CPU test 2: 7.20 steps/s

Feature tests:
1: 329.35 gtexels/s
2: 1.24 gtexels/s
3: 7.76 FPS
4: 36.86 FPS
5: 24.86 FPS
6: 17.98 FPS

Current GPU driver is the lastest WHQL driver from NVidia (306.97)

DJSirMatthew
11-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Anyone any idea how I can check if these values are very low (looking at website Futuremark does seem to indicate they are very low) and what might be the cause of it?

Pitcher@asus
11-23-2012, 05:43 AM
HI, how to you set in 3D Mark utility? and how is your test environment, how many time your run and get result?

DJSirMatthew
11-23-2012, 11:42 AM
I've ran the 3D Mark Vantage on "Performance" setting about 4 times now, always getting similar results. There are sometimes 1-offs like once I had a score of 7.2 for CPU test 2 and once 72.

My GPU score always ends up around 5200-5400 and this is with minimum of services running and no other applications open.

Also worth noting is that in the NVidia Panel PhysX is configured to be handled by the GTX 460M but when I submit my results to the Futuremark website I don't get the invalid result remark which should be shown if you have Physx running @ the GPU?

DJSirMatthew
11-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Ran another time and now scores dropped to 4200 for GPU and 5000 for CPU :s

I also saw in GPU-z that the core clock was at 338Mhz when 3D Mark just finished it tests and temperature of GPU was at 95 degrees Celsius. Am I having another overheating issue after 7 months of replacing MOBO and GPU?

I asked an RMA on Friday anyway as today is the last day of my 2 year guarantee...

dstrakele
11-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Try blowing out the fan intakes and exhausts with compressed gas.

When you believe the laptop is performing sluggishly in games, does the GPU report a similar high temperature?

DJSirMatthew
11-25-2012, 07:26 AM
Yes, I get similar high temps while gaming. Even a race game from 2005 (Need for Speed Most Wanted) succeeds in having some serious frame drops after 10 minutes of play or so.

Just turned on the laptop and while I was away from the desk making breakfast, I heard the ASUS start up tune about 4 times... no idea why he did that and will try to replicate it and see if something appears on the screen...

Just shut down laptop and made it start again and it just keeps hanging on the logo screen of ASUS with their slogan and the Intel logo and it makes the startup sound about 4 times orso before he actually goes to starting up windows...

dstrakele
11-25-2012, 05:43 PM
1) Can you boot into Windows Safe Mode? Or successfully boot from a Linux "LiveCD" distribution?

2) If you UNinstall the NVIDIA driver and reboot, does it change the high temperatures and problematic startup behavior?

3) Have you overclocked this system or made any changes to the "Boot" tab of MSCONFIG?

DJSirMatthew
11-25-2012, 07:32 PM
1) I can boot into Windows Safe Mode
2) Not relevant anymore as I've found the culprit for the strange startup hick-ups: an external HDD I added yesterday which was a boot HDD on another computer, so I guess the lappie got confused by that
3) Nope

I did however ran Routekill and Combofix and Antimalware and Routekill did find some registry entries. Didn't make much sense to me and they could have been false positives but after running that sequence I did get a 7000+ score in 3D Mark Vantage which seems about right. Now off to some extensive testing, if I bump into something I'll let it be known here.

Once again, drstrakele thanks for your continued support and knowledge.

DJSirMatthew
11-02-2013, 06:15 PM
A little follow-up on this thread. After noticing my laptop being sluggish again, I installed speedfan a couple of days ago and noticed CPU temps of 95 degrees and GPU not that far off. I then decided to run 3D Mark Vantage again and got these score:

P4621
GPU 3862
CPU 11287

Since the laptop was out of warranty, I decided to take the plunge and open it up. I met at least 1mm dust buildup between the fans and the roster on which the heat sink was connected. I then decided to go the whole way and repaste the CPU and GPU. First try, just went to a regular shop and got a can of compressed air and some thermal paste (Master Cooler High Perfomance orso, no ICD as they didn't had it and at that time I couldn't remember which was the best). I'm pretty sure I applied to much thermal paste and I might have scratched the die as I didn't had any alcohol to remove the old paste.

But after restarting I noticed the temps were way down, GPU is averaging 40 degrees idle and CPU 50 degrees, which seems like nice temps to have :D And i got it confirmed with 3D mark vantage:

P9230
GPU: 7513
CPU: 29348

I guess it's safe to say that OC'ing is an option now?

What bad effects does scratching the die and too much paste have? I suppose both have to do with the efficacy of the heat transfer?

EDIT: Scores were with the latest NVIDIA drivers 331.65 On startup though, the laptop is still very sluggish until I end a proces in the Task Manager called svchost.exe after which the screen goes blank, comes back and I get a pop-up telling the NVIDIA driver stopped responding but was succesfully restarted. After that the laptop runs perfectly.