PDA

View Full Version : G55 vw CMOS Reset

kssgill
11-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Hi, I suspect some BIOS settings is causing the laptop not to boot. I see the power come on, the keyboard lights up . Nothing shows up on the screen and then it shutdown. I suspect it is stuck during the post that is causing it to power itself down.

Any suggestions on how cmos reset can be performed.

-K

Bran187
11-25-2012, 07:31 AM
This actually sounds more like a dead HDD to me. :( That's exactly what happened with my old desktop when the HDD crashed.

Myk SilentShadow
11-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Are there any beeps at all that sound, before your 55 shuts down?

ggBanks
11-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Can you get into the BIOS at all?

Pitcher@asus
11-26-2012, 06:46 AM
Hi, what is Situation your lattop can not boot to OS, did you unplug DIMM or HDD than plug try again or change other DIMM or HDD try it?
if all of test can not help, please sent to ASUS RC to check.

kssgill
12-07-2012, 08:48 PM
I called ASUS Support and went through the CMOS reset procedure but the laptop still will not power up. I'd see the keyboard light up nothing would every show up on the screen and then all lights went out.

Suspect it was a bad memory dim on a new laptop. The Gentech guys shipped a new replacement laptop that came yesterday and so far is still up.

For future reader if anyone gets stuck on a weekend and needs to try cmos reset. The process is to take the battery out and hold the power button for 2 -3 minute. Plug power back in after 5 minutes and power up the laptop and keep tapping the F2 key. The machine should then reboot to factory default.

I couldn't fully try it as it never went past post and nothing was visible on the screen but those were the steps the support walked me through. Hope it helps someone.

kssgill
12-07-2012, 08:49 PM
There were no beeps. Only saw keyboard light up..... and then all lights go away. Screen was dark through out nothing showed up.

rewben
12-08-2012, 03:10 AM
kssgill, thanks for the procedure :) it looked like the standard way to drain power from the laptop.

maybe this will solve my frozen button mystery for bios 214 in g55.