PDA

View Full Version : Raid 1 alternative

Redking117
11-24-2012, 07:59 PM
I replaced my primary 1TB drive with a 500GB seagate Hybrid XT hybrid drive.

Is there a way to set up a 500GB partition on the 1TB (now) secondary hard drive that will act similar to a Raid 1 setup

i'd like to have the remaining 500gb (more liek 400 lol) as available storage.

I know there is background software like norton ghost that can do these things but I have yet to try to use them

Myk SilentShadow
11-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Using RAID on a single drive? silly idea as you need at minimum 2 drives for any kind of RAID to work, what you want to do is just right click on Computer. Click Manage, click on Disk Management in the left panel. And then delete the partitions(if there is nothing on that 1Tb you want to keep) then reformat and start again :)

Redking117
11-25-2012, 05:21 AM
Using RAID on a single drive? silly idea as you need at minimum 2 drives for any kind of RAID to work

Is there a way to set up a 500GB partition on the 1TB (now) secondary hard drive that will act similar to a Raid 1 setup

2 hard drives, bro. 1 500GB 1 1000GB I just want to know if I can do a SOFTWARE Raid 1 and use the unpartitioned space as well

The 500GB is a hybird, teh 1000TB is a slow HDD

I dont want to do a hardware raid due to the performance loss I expect

Myk SilentShadow
11-25-2012, 05:57 AM
2 hard drives, bro. 1 500GB 1 1000GB I just want to know if I can do a SOFTWARE Raid 1 and use the unpartitioned space as well

The 500GB is a hybird, teh 1000TB is a slow HDD

I dont want to do a hardware raid due to the performance loss I expect

As explained above, use the internal Windows software to wipe the paritions and then repartition the drive into 2 halves. if your wanting to RAID the 500GB to the 1TB, you should be able to click on the 500GB and select "Add Mirror" via the drive management console. I know it's possible to do it through Server 2008....but for Win7 I checked it out and it wouldn't bring it up for me....to do this though you may need to also partition the 500GB first before doing it all....oh and you'll also need to right click on the first box next to the drive and select "convert to Dynamic Drive" else it won't work....I actually just learnt about this feature a couple weeks ago for my studies in Server 2008.

Redking117
11-27-2012, 05:43 PM
I am not running server 2008 on my laptop. lol. You said this doesn't work on win 7?

madnj
11-28-2012, 04:35 AM
It probably won't work on Home Premium, and frankly software RAID is not the best way to do this. Furthermore, if you were to setup hardware RAID via the BIOS with the momentus XT and 1TB 5400 slow as crap drive, I wouldn't be surprised if your performance absolutely sucked.

If you are intent on having a fully mirrored setup, I'd make sure you have 2 identical drives and setup hardware mirroring via the BIOS, not via the OS. OS level drive mirroring is clunky and needs to be handled directly by the OS whereas BIOS level RAID controller hardware RAID is done outside of the OS and will basically show up as a single volume with the BIOS/RAID controller handling the duplication of data to each of the 2 drives.

That said, I haven't looked into the RAID features of the RAID controller in the G75 so I can't speak to its capabilities or how good it is. I'm not even sure it does RAID 1, because most of the chatter I've seen on this forum has been about configuring RAID 0 (non-redundant, faster reads/writes) which personally makes me nervous about losing data if the array goes belly up.

As I said though, stay away from OS level mirroring if you can help it, and I would DEFINITELY not try to mirror that hybrid drive to the EXTREMELY slow 1TB drive.

SUKARA@ASUS
11-28-2012, 06:12 AM
What's model notebook are you using?
If you using the different size HDD,will be the smallest HDD size basis
EX: 1TB+500GB=500GB(RAID1)

Redking117
11-28-2012, 08:04 PM
It probably won't work on Home Premium, and frankly software RAID is not the best way to do this. Furthermore, if you were to setup hardware RAID via the BIOS with the momentus XT and 1TB 5400 slow as crap drive, I wouldn't be surprised if your performance absolutely sucked.

If you are intent on having a fully mirrored setup, I'd make sure you have 2 identical drives and setup hardware mirroring via the BIOS, not via the OS. OS level drive mirroring is clunky and needs to be handled directly by the OS whereas BIOS level RAID controller hardware RAID is done outside of the OS and will basically show up as a single volume with the BIOS/RAID controller handling the duplication of data to each of the 2 drives.

That said, I haven't looked into the RAID features of the RAID controller in the G75 so I can't speak to its capabilities or how good it is. I'm not even sure it does RAID 1, because most of the chatter I've seen on this forum has been about configuring RAID 0 (non-redundant, faster reads/writes) which personally makes me nervous about losing data if the array goes belly up.

As I said though, stay away from OS level mirroring if you can help it, and I would DEFINITELY not try to mirror that hybrid drive to the EXTREMELY slow 1TB drive.

To be clear I am asking about Raid 1 alternatives - the last thing I wanted to do was go into the bios and set up a Raid 1

I just wanted to mirror all data off drive 1 to a partition on Drive 2

Software like

Not limiting reads, writes, or capacity.