PDA

View Full Version : G75 boot problem

newmanc1
11-25-2012, 05:01 AM
I have a 2 month old G75 config with 256ssd/ 1tb h'drve/16Gb ram
yesterday after working for approx 6o minutes it shut down - I was not using at the time.
when I attempted to restart i got a black screen with the message "reboot & select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device & press key"
I initially thought the primary ssd might have failed...........
retarted and entered bios page..... all looked ok with boot order etc
i chose 'Windows Boot Manager' to start and it started correctly...everything in its right place and working fine.
After manual shutdown the same problem again on restart......have to enter bios and select WBM to get it going
any ideas?
thanks

rewben
11-25-2012, 05:40 AM
can it be the CPU/GPU temperature? can you check them out using speedfan (http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php)?

newmanc1
11-25-2012, 05:58 AM
thanks for the quick reply
haven't seen or heard any change in fan volume or case temp. well ventilated/cool area when first time problem
i had a look at the utility you suggested but could not work out how to get it set up
regards

Myk SilentShadow
11-25-2012, 06:04 AM
Go into your BIOS, in the boot tab, click on Hard Drive BBS priorities and force your boot drive as the primary. This should hopefully fix your problem :)

newmanc1
11-25-2012, 06:41 AM
Thanks, that fixed it
i didnt notice that somehow the primary boot had been changed/corrupted to the second drive when it had shut itself down.
just read some other info regarding SSD's and regular BSOD problems...i probably missd the BSOD when i was away from the laptop.
thanks again for the quick replies

Myk SilentShadow
11-25-2012, 06:45 AM
Thanks, that fixed it
i didnt notice that somehow the primary boot had been changed/corrupted to the second drive when it had shut itself down.
just read some other info regarding SSD's and regular BSOD problems...i probably missd the BSOD when i was away from the laptop.
thanks again for the quick replies

No worries, happy to help :)

Mr_BoJangles
12-13-2012, 10:08 PM
I have a 2 month old G75 config with 256ssd/ 1tb h'drve/16Gb ram

I have a near identical build. After a couple days, the system crashed and wiped my HDD. I went back in and installed Win7 (It came with Win8). But I had no drivers on the machine. I downloaded the drivers and noticed that my USBs and the installed camera were not functioning.

I contacted ASUS for support, who recommended Live Update (which did nothing), then a BIOS update. Updating from 218 to 221. Now, whenever I start the machine, it loads directly into BIOS. Exiting BIOS just brings me right back into it. I had read somewhere that outdated drivers could cause an issue like this, But I had downloaded all applicable and updated drivers so I am uncertain what the issue is.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can resolve this?

EDIT: I just looked through the recommended advice above. And I have no Boot drive data...

rewben
12-14-2012, 04:57 AM
Mr_BoJangles, check if your bios if there are options like Secure Boot Control and Launch CSM:
1. disable Secure Boot Control
2. enable Launch CSM

Mr_BoJangles
12-14-2012, 06:48 AM
Thanks rewben! That helped. However, I am still getting the errors with both my USB ports being inoperable, and my Camera not functioning. I am currently attempting to redownload all applicable drivers. But that didn't help last time.

rewben
12-14-2012, 03:24 PM
nice to hear that :)

for usb port, can you try this (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21129)?

for camera, please try the windows 7 version of ASUS driver (virtual camera?)

Mr_BoJangles
12-15-2012, 02:37 AM
The issue with the camera is that it is saying that there is no hardware installed. And the USB driver software also did not help..

rewben
12-15-2012, 06:26 AM
what's your model number? (g75vw/x-yyyy)

uh? no hardware installed? could you use it when you're running stock w8?

as for the usb driver, can you elaborate on the failure? was it not successfully installed? or it's installed, it is present in the device manager, but when you plugged in devices into the usb ports, the devices still failed to run? sorry i wish to understand more about your situations.

Mr_BoJangles
12-15-2012, 07:24 AM
I don't have access to the model number from the box. I know that it is G75VW.

For the camera, when it still had Win 8 I still had access to the camera.

For the USB, the driver downloaded correctly, but whenever I plug in a new device, it does not discover the device, or allow the hardware to operate.

EDIT: here is a list of all the numbers found on the bottom of the machine.
MB Ver G75VW
G75VW-BHI7N07

rewben
12-15-2012, 07:42 AM
oh please remove the Check Number and C9NDA*** ; we don't need that here.

your model number is G75VW-BHI7N07.

edit:
* usb3
can you please get a screenshot of your usb3 driver version? goto control > device manager > universal serial bus controllers > intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller

it should be something like this:

* virtual camera
i assume you already have ASUS Virtual Camera Utility V1.0.25. what if you installed the V1.0.26 from w8?
1. reboot to safe mode;
2. uninstall your current driver;
3. reboot;
4. install the w8 driver;
5. reboot

Mr_BoJangles
12-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Okay. Where do I go from here.

rewben
12-15-2012, 08:11 AM
i'm really not sure what's going on :/ but if you're running w7, these drivers should be working.

Mr_BoJangles
12-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Here is the image you requested, along with something else that looked relevant.

As for the camera, I have installed 1.0.26 and there has been no change.
Along with the image above, it shows all installed devices and the Camera is not one of them.
I also do not know how to determine which camera is actually installed without taking it apart and visually verifying the information. Something I am nor comfortable with.

rewben
12-15-2012, 08:42 AM
ah.. there is something wrong about your image; what's the message for your standard enhanced pci to usb host controller?

have you installed the intel chipset driver? grab it from ASUS's website.

edit: alternatively, right click on the standard enhanced pci to usb host controller (both of them) and choose uninstall; then select any component and right click again, this time choose 'scan for hardware changes' and let windows install the missing drivers for you.

Mr_BoJangles
12-15-2012, 09:31 AM
The devices now read:
Intel (R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E26
Intel (R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E2D
Intel (R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller.

All three of which are showing that there is a problem and are not working. What that problem is though, I know not. But I am going to try something using a Win 8 Chipset Driver.

rewben
12-15-2012, 09:55 AM
uh? still not working?! after reboot, you should try to use the usb and camera.

is there any component still with the exclamation mark?

edit: you have a weird device manager > usb entries. it's supposed to be like this:

please tell me which drivers from ASUS you have installed (in a list)?

Mr_BoJangles
12-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Attached is a comprehensive list of every driver that I have. I have a red square next to the ones that I know for certain I have downloaded from ASUS.

rewben
12-15-2012, 10:39 AM
when you do 'scan for hardware changes' what happened?

one more thing, please check your bios (advanced, security > i/o security) if usb related options are in the unlock state.

if you can, please also boot with a linux livecd/usb to see if you could use the usb.

edit: the apparent issue of your machine is the usb. if usb failed, all things usb, including your webcam, will definitely fail.

if uninstall the controllers with exclamation marks then do a new hardware scan does not discover all the necessary entries in your device manager, then i will think this is a hardware issue on windows (to be confirmed with a linux live session); we have reached my limit of OS/software trouble shooting :/

Mr_BoJangles
12-15-2012, 10:54 AM
There was no change when I hit 'scan for hardware changes.' and the USB options were already unlocked. I do not have a linux livecd/usb.

rewben
12-15-2012, 11:21 AM
you could try this suggestion (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19242-G75-USB-Ports-not-working&p=132233&viewfull=1#post132233), too. uninstall all devices with exclamation mark; reboot; and let the windows decide.

if it's not successful, you will need a linuxcd/usb to confirm if it's a hardware issue.

edit: and i hope you have installed the necessary drivers from ASUS, at least the following:
01-AR9485 WLAN Driver (installed)
02-Intel Chipset Driver (installed)
03-Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver (installed)
04-Intel USB 3.0 Driver (installed)
05-Intel Management Engine Interface (installed)
06-nVIDIA GeForce Drivers (installed)
07-Via Audio Driver (installed)
08-Atheros AR8151 LAN Driver (installed)
09-Atheros Bluetooth Driver (?)
10-Alcor Multi-Card Reader Driver (?)
11-Synaptics Touchpad Driver (installed)
12-Keyboard Device Filter (?)
13-ATK Package (?)
14-ASUS Virtual Camera Utility (installed)
15-Power4Gear Hybrid Utility (?)
16-ASUS Wireless Switch Utility (?)
17-ASUS Fan Filter Checker (?)
18-ASUS USB Charger Plus (?)

Mr_BoJangles
12-15-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm positive that it isn't a hardware issue. I am lacking 90% of the drivers I believe are required for the ports to function as necessary. The biggest of which are the Intel Root Hub, Generic USB Hub, and the Microsoft Detection drivers. Doing as was recommended did not allow for the system to download any drivers.

rewben
12-15-2012, 11:40 AM
yes, apparently.

the thing is, usually windows will install a copy of the compatible base drivers automatically, if you uninstalled them, and then refresh the device list (or reboot).

edit: what do you mean by, 'Doing as was recommended did not allow for the system to download any drivers'?

Mr_BoJangles
12-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Simply put, I followed the advice in the link you provided. And windows did not download any drivers of its own. I was showing that there was no USB Host controller and updating the hardware configurations did not change anything either.

rewben
12-15-2012, 12:04 PM
what about running 'sfc /scannow' without quote in an elevated command? run a command prompt as administrator, then type sfc /scannow.

the command asks windows to scan and repair the system.

Mr_BoJangles
12-15-2012, 12:10 PM
I am running that now. I have also submit a query to ASUS Support (again) with the current information you have provided to me, as well as cross posted into the 'USB Ports not working' thread. Primarily asking for a location of the drivers I am missing.

EDIT: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

rewben
12-15-2012, 12:12 PM
ok i will follow and answer that thread instead.

GottiBoi55
12-23-2012, 04:10 AM
Try this:
1. click start button.
2. type "Device Installation Setting".
3. check if "Yes do this automatically (recommended) dot is in "Blue"
4. then check for updates

Hope this will help!

Pitcher@asus
12-25-2012, 02:53 AM
if you find any, but not help, please send to ASUS service center to check it, i think it would be fast to fix your problem.

KetkuFIN
01-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Mr_BoJangles, check if your bios if there are options like Secure Boot Control and Launch CSM:
1. disable Secure Boot Control
2. enable Launch CSM

THANK YOU! I had to register just so i could thank you.
This solved my problems with downcrading to win7 and SSD.
Bought my g75 about a month ago and I have been wrestling with unbootable laptop beast for two days now. It seems that this thread is the only one in the whole internet wich gave the cure but i learned a lot searching it though.
Greetings from finland and thank you once again :)

rewben
01-10-2013, 12:07 AM
@KetkuFIN, no problem; and welcome to the forum :)