PDA

View Full Version : "Can't connect to this Network"

deeptg
11-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Hi,
I bought an Asus G75vw couple days back with windows 8. Everything was working fine except that i couldn't connect to my wireless router. It had a WEP encryption. After I entered the Network Security key, I Kept on getting "Can't connect to this network", troubleshooting didnt help either. Then I updated all drivers from Asus support website and it connected after a restart. I was quite delighted but the next day again i got the "cant connect to this network" message. So I changed my encryption to WPA2-PSK (AES) and even updated the firmware of my router. Still no luck. I have googled around a lot but couldnt find any proper solution.
Please please please help me out with this, Im getting really frustrated :(

SUKARA@ASUS
11-26-2012, 07:20 AM
Could you plesae help to use another device connect this WL router?(EX: Tablet pc& Mobile.....) have any probelm?

deeptg
11-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Im pretty sure the router works fine. My Android phone and my bros Iphone connect to it properly. Even my dads dell inspiron and bros vaio. Those laptops are windows 7 though.

dstrakele
11-26-2012, 12:19 PM
What version WiFi driver is reported in use by Device Manager? Most folks reporting WiFi connection issues have resolved them with a more recent Atheros driver than available on the ASUS website.

Deleting your current WiFi network settings in Windows and recreating them by connecting to your Router is something else you can try.

rewben
11-26-2012, 01:46 PM
or, is it a case of insufficient ip address assignment via dhcp?

deeptg
11-26-2012, 02:35 PM
I think its a problem with Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter (This is what device manager shows i have) . I try updating and it says I already have the latest version. I dunno how long i'll have to wait for an official update that corrects this flaw.
Funny thing is, I go to Device Manager-> Network Adapters -> right click on Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter and select uninstall, it asks me if i want to delete driver files, i click yes. and a red X mark comes on my network icon saying no device found, I restart my system and the stupid Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter is still there!!! I just uninstalled it and it still shows its there! This thing is driving me crazy ! :(

i have already tried deleting the wifi settings etc, no luck :(

rewben
11-26-2012, 02:49 PM
can you try this one (http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargement/atheros/wifi/atheros_wifi_10.0.0.216-w7-8(www.station-drivers.com).exe)? it's working for me. there is an option that allows you to uninstall the previous version. use it to remove it first, reboot, and then restart the installation.

good luck.

dstrakele
11-26-2012, 02:53 PM
When you attempt the installation of the Atheros driver, choose to follow @rewben's advice rather than attempting to install the driver through Device Manager. I also recommend booting into Windows Safe Mode for the installation to disable other running drivers (such as Antivirus) that may interfere with your WiFi driver installation.

When you uninstall the driver and restart Windows, it detects the WiFi card and installs its Plug-N-Play driver.

rewben
11-26-2012, 03:16 PM
this is what i got after the installation:

for me it's working; using WPA2-Personal/AES; power management turned off.

edit: for you it should be 216 (windows 8), instead of 209 (windows 7). if this is not working for you, there is another newer version; but that version i haven't test yet.

Quasimodem
11-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Windows 8 does not support old WEP encryption... Change your router to WPA2-PSK, and forgot the old network before connecting... Windows 8 doesn't have a 'Manage Wireless Networks' like 7 did, it may be difficult to forget, with the built-in WiFi manager you can only forget a network you're connected to, or possibly all networks like in 7... Click the WiFi icon by the clock, right click your network, and look for 'Forget this network'... If it's not possible to forget it, try changing to a unique SSID, and connecting to that, making Windows 8 have fresh settings for the newly created network...

deeptg
11-26-2012, 03:45 PM
well installed the new version it says .216, restarted, still not connecting :( and how do i forget my network? right clicking does nothing. Sorry im a bit new to all this.

Quasimodem
11-26-2012, 03:48 PM
well installed the new version it says .216, restarted, still not connecting :( and how do i forget my network? right clicking does nothing. Sorry im a bit new to all this.

If right clicking the network doesn't bring up this list then you won't be able to forget it...

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee409/bfielding80/wifi-1.jpg

Try changing the SSID and connecting to that...

deeptg
11-26-2012, 03:51 PM
How come for your os it shows those options with right click? any particular reason for that? and how do i do this ssid thing?

deeptg
11-26-2012, 04:00 PM
okay by ssid i guess you meant name of my wireless network. did that. still no luck. im still wondering why the right click doesnt work though :(

deeptg
11-26-2012, 04:07 PM
i think the right click only works when you're connected to a network, in this case i cant connect to any :(

Quasimodem
11-26-2012, 04:10 PM
okay by ssid i guess you meant name of my wireless network. did that. still no luck. im still wondering why the right click doesnt work though :(

It only works when I right click the network I'm currently connected to... The other networks it does nothing... Windows 8 is terrible with WiFi management, and I'll be going back to 7 when I get the motivation to clean wipe again... I don't have the Atheros card anymore, so I can't really comment on that particular issue...

Have you tried these drivers for Windows 8?

Version 10.0.0.75 (http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G75VW&p=3&s=388)

rewben
11-26-2012, 04:11 PM
is your wifi turned on? i know it sounds stupid, but i think you should be able to see the list by right clicking.

deeptg
11-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Yes initially i had 10.0.0.75 only. wasnt working.
and yes my wifi is turned on :P
Damn this thing is really irritating!

rewben
11-26-2012, 04:17 PM
and air plane mode off, right? sorry but i have to confirm lol!

Quasimodem
11-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Open the Registry Editor... Win Key + R for the Run dialog, type regedit, and hit OK

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

There are your Wireless Profiles, delete them manually and restart...

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee409/bfielding80/wifi8.jpg

rewben
11-26-2012, 04:45 PM
i'm not sure if this helped, there is a tiny program called WIFI Profile Manager for Windows 8 (http://www.thewindowsclub.com/wifi-profile-manager-windows-8)

deeptg
11-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Well, deleted profiled from registry. Restarted. Still the same. Nada. :(

dstrakele
11-26-2012, 05:54 PM
What version Atheros driver are you currently running?

deeptg
11-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter.

10.0.0.216 version (previously i had .75 version which i downloaded from the asus support website)

mikec314u
11-26-2012, 06:27 PM
I have the same issue, I exhausted all avenues trying to get it to work. Windows 7 had no issues would connect right away. I went out and bought a external wireless USB adapter, it worked just fine with Windows 8. I reverted back to Windows 7 and no issues with the wireless adapter built in. Has to be a Windows 8 Driver issue with the G75-bbk5Alteros wireless adapter, does anyone know where to find the lastest driver for it? I've tried everywhere nothing seems to work. Any input much appreciated.

Quasimodem
11-26-2012, 06:49 PM
FWIW, no issues with an Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300, except that Windows 8 handles the WiFi like trash...

colpolite
11-26-2012, 07:05 PM
How easy it is to replace the wireless cards on G75? Is it as hard as the G55 where you have to fully dismantle the computer?

deeptg
11-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Damn. seems like almost all th g75s suffer from this.
im just thinking of using a usb wireless adapter until an official update comes correcting this fault :(

rewben
11-27-2012, 01:52 AM
have you tried to bring your laptop elsewhere that have wifi hot spots and test it?

since you're still in the return window, maybe you should also get a new one from the retailer. just make sure you test the wifi on the spot.

Quasimodem
11-27-2012, 03:07 AM
How easy it is to replace the wireless cards on G75? Is it as hard as the G55 where you have to fully dismantle the computer?

It's not bad... The first time I did it, I went slower than I normally do... I've taken it down so many times, it's s 20minute process now... Basically get all the screws out the back, remove a trim piece to get the display screws out and pull up the keyboard... only have to unhook the power cord ribbon unless your hands are just humongous, and you need more room to work...

deeptg
11-27-2012, 05:16 AM
Went to the retailer. Apparently mine was the second last piece they sold and the next day someone else bought the last one. Can i show it to my retailers service centre since its still under warranty, maybe they can change the network adapter harware or smthn?

Quasimodem
11-27-2012, 05:39 AM
Went to the retailer. Apparently mine was the second last piece they sold and the next day someone else bought the last one. Can i show it to my retailers service centre since its still under warranty, maybe they can change the network adapter harware or smthn?

The warranty for repairs is through Asus, the retailer will only replace the whole unit...

rewben
11-27-2012, 05:42 AM
i think they should be able to allow an exchange. to me, the reason of selling out the last unit before you doesn't stand, because you're returning it due to 'defects', and it's still within the return window; they should fulfill the request (or get your money back in full).

yes, it's no harm asking if they're an authorized ASUS reseller (because the wifi card is within non-user serviceable area. unauthorized access by a non-ASUS rep will void the warranty that comes with it); if they're, it's best if they can fix it at their place; but you might need to wait for the availability of parts.

deeptg
11-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Yup its an authorized ASUS reseller only. funny thing is my machine connects to their wireless network. Tried it to many other networks it connects to 3 out of 5 ( weird!) . i explained my problem to that guy and he was like "Win8 needs to mature a bit more" , he anyway just took my laptop said he'll do something about the drivers and try stuff out. I sure hope it works out!

rewben
11-27-2012, 04:03 PM
that's why i suspected that your router at home might be having insufficient number of IP addresses for DHCP (looking at the number of devices that connect to your router).

you should try to raise the number of IP addresses for DHCP at your router and see how it goes.

deeptg
11-27-2012, 04:08 PM
^How do i do that? :(

rewben
11-27-2012, 04:09 PM
er.. what's the model of your wifi router?

deeptg
11-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Linksys WAG160N,
I anyway will only be able to check tomorrow when i get my laptop back. :P

rewben
11-27-2012, 04:23 PM
ok; i think this is the one (http://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Linksys-WAG160N-Routed-IP-Setup) for your wifi router. let's hope it works lol!

deeptg
11-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Mine has max dhcp users = 50 :P
so i dont think this is the problem cz i dont have that many devices connected to it!

rewben
11-27-2012, 04:39 PM
oh that's right! now i am clueless haha!

Quasimodem
11-27-2012, 05:32 PM
I'd like to attribute this to Windows 8... It sucks terribly, and I'm currently burning a 7 disc... and before anyone wants to jump in about it, I ran it nearly a month, it wasn't some 3 hour excursion... It just plain sucks in every way...

deeptg
11-27-2012, 06:04 PM
On another note. i got the steelseries siberia headset along with my laptop. But even if i watch any tv show or a movie the surround sound is always on. any idea how do i turn it off to get the normal quality ? i just like using surround while gaming else it gets too noisy :P

Skull6
11-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Do you have some other sort of security activated on your wireless router, such as MAC address filtering? (If not, you may have some freeloading neighbors taking up the remaining DHCP slots also.)

Quasimodem
11-27-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm back setup like a like on 7... Even with a premier wireless card, my WiFi was running like crap... High ping, home page would take a second to load, and as time went by, the link speed to my router would slowly decrease... Terrible OS, they better put out Service Pack to remedy how terrible it is... Now I can enjoy my 105 internet again...

Folks, I think it's safe to stop troubleshooting his issue... His network is fine... His computer however, happens to be running Windows 8...

deeptg
11-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Got my laptop back. It connects fine on all of the service center's wireless networks. and some hotspots in public places. cant connect to my home router though. I guess its just windows 8. :( so im guessing ill have to wait till official update comes out. :(

since i got win8 preinstalled, if i buy a win7 kit and install it will it void my warranty?

Quasimodem
11-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Got my laptop back. It connects fine on all of the service center's wireless networks. and some hotspots in public places. cant connect to my home router though. I guess its just windows 8. :( so im guessing ill have to wait till official update comes out. :(

since i got win8 preinstalled, if i buy a win7 kit and install it will it void my warranty?

Warranty will be fine... and according to this article if you have another Windows 7 machine, you can use it's product code... pg 2

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2015107/downgrading-from-windows-8-to-7-what-you-need-to-know.html

Of course there are other methods of install as well... I have downgraded back to 7, and am very glad I did...

che0po
11-30-2012, 07:44 AM
Same problem here :/ . Im so sad that asus had just lost one of their loyal buyers. After the unsolvable sound issue , screen issue , and now a wifi issue , I just think that the G75 was out too early and asusdo nothing to solve it :/

Im also unable to connect to any WPA2-PEAP networks