PDA

View Full Version : G73JH - random freezes/GSOD/VSOD/BSOD AND has been through an RMA.

pavmastap
06-04-2011, 04:07 PM
This laptop has been causing me problems ever since I bought it. Initially it was all static noises/overheating gpu/ loud fans/ broken keypad/etc - all at once. I finally had time to send it in for an RMA recently which fixed most of the hardware issues and now am experiencing the vertical blue/green lines, sometimes purple screens and random freezing in windows, sometimes when doing nothing at all.

I have updated the BIOS to 211, the vBIOS to latest version and am running catalyst 11.5 drivers. When I run furmark it doesn't crash on me.

Any other solutions would be appreciated.

edit: and I have the 11.5b RC5 hotfix

xeromist
06-06-2011, 02:57 AM
Is the blue/green problem something that can be reliably reproduced in some fashion? I know you said that it happens randomly but can you also cause it to happen?

pavmastap
06-07-2011, 03:33 AM
i made some typos the BIOS is 213, and the grey/blue screen usually happens when running SC2 usually after a few minutes, although the freezing occurs randomly without me causing it to do anything. Chastity guided me through reseting to defaults (BIOS ) as well as updating the firmware for the harddrives and that managed to take care of the timing - blue vertical lines and random freezing still occur just less frequently than before. So that kind of fixed the issue that it doesn't happen as often as it used to but once in a while it still happens.

more stuff: usually when i start SC2 - my screen starts to flicker or "video stutter" so it's like a warning that it's about to BSOD and if i dont exit it will give me the BSOD. If i exit before the BSOD my windows has weird graphic issues.

xeromist
06-07-2011, 05:14 PM
usually when i start SC2 - my screen starts to flicker or "video stutter" so it's like a warning that it's about to BSOD and if i dont exit it will give me the BSOD. If i exit before the BSOD my windows has weird graphic issues.

I know that last year people were having problems with the SC2 menus. Basically it was rendering like 1000FPS and some GPU's couldn't take the stress. I assume this should have been fixed but you might want to look into manually limiting the framerate in the config files.

pavmastap
06-08-2011, 09:34 PM
thanks for the reply but Im not sure how to change that but maybe related - sc2 doesnt recognize my card since it's default settings says medium when recommended specs are exactly what the 5870 is for max and runs well under max or whatever it's called.

it's weird - some days it runs fine for hours, other days it vertical lines me after 3 mins for the hour.

ALSO - the random freezing still happens everyday which isnt video game related. most times either browsing or just doing absolutely nothing. Usually while idle.

Chastity@ASUS
06-08-2011, 10:26 PM
@pavmastap: try uninstalling Intel RST drivers and use the MS AHQI ones.

xeromist
06-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Ah OK, I thought you mainly had the problem when the game loaded (which would be when you get a menu). The problem that I mentioned was really only happening in the menu and not during gameplay.

I would check the Windows event log if you haven't already to see if anything there coincides with your lockups. You might get lucky and find an error which tells you exactly what is going wrong.

pavmastap
06-09-2011, 04:48 PM
no luck.

I've followed all the instructions generously given by Chastity and have:

1. updated BIOS to 213 and reset to defaults
2. updated the vBIOS
3. updated to catalyst 11.5b
4. got rid of the intel drivers and running on ms drivers
5. upgraded the SATA firmware

I am still getting vertical lines - tried it on multiple games - so it's not only sc2
I am still experiencing freezing. I had to write this out twice because it froze on me the first time...

I've even written emails to asus but have been ignored.
I'm a very disgruntled customer.

pavmastap
06-09-2011, 05:48 PM
my comp is freezing probably more often than before. around every 15minutes. Usually just idling or browsing. I'm debating running a fresh OS install.

when I'm alt-tabbing between video games, some display things happen like boxes or blotchy sections, but when i alt tab back into the game it doesnt appear anymore, some examples: http://imgur.com/zxpMfl&STcpB?full

INzider
06-10-2011, 05:03 PM
I am on the same ground as you, random lockup.
I will do freash win7 install and start from there.

This is very annoying situation.
I have a thread - clean thread about G73h trouble, if you wanna follow my developpement about my issue...

Wish you luck.

xeromist
06-10-2011, 06:21 PM
pavmastap, do you have an external display (monitor or TV) that you can hook up? If you can isolate whether the vertical lines are coming from the GPU or the screen itself that might help a bit.

Also, what info were you using to contact ASUS? Have you tried the info in the warranty/RMA sub-forum here?

pavmastap
06-10-2011, 07:12 PM
I used the emailing system that got me through the initial RMA. then I contacted them over the phone after calling over 20times to get my AC adapter back. Then I emailed them again using the same asus support email when I did the first RMA.

I have another monitor, I'll try it and see if it still does the vertical lines. Although the freezing will occur nonetheless but the vertical lines will probably indicate if it's a display issue.

xeromist
06-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I suspect that the freezing is related but this will at least confirm that suspicion.

Do you know what group within ASUS you got routed to? I know that it shouldn't matter but it seems that some people have had different experiences depending on who they were dealing with.

INzider
06-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Remove the creative and AEX program that go whit it, my sugestion.

pavmastap
06-14-2011, 04:02 AM
i did a system recovery.
i uninstalled all the asus bloatware.
I installed SP1. Windows Updates. updated INF. updated video drivers and ATK package.

I am no longer experiencing freezing but still am experiencing blue screens and vertical lines.

I will now try to remove Creative and AEX stuff...

edit: hmm the only creative stuff I have is SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY HD and CREATIVE MEADIASOURCE5. i dont see AEX anywhere, then again not sure what AEX is.

INzider
06-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Sorry my mistake, your are right, its Sound blaster Audigy.
Have a look at this thread and I don't forget to make the GSOF fix.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/468027-complete-walk-through-doing-clean-windows-7-install.html#switch

"Description: Creative
Listed: Recommended Application
Level: Unimportant and Dangerous
Suggest: Do NOT install

This is the Creative package.

The Creative package has the potential to cause conflicts and/or crash your laptop. The install includes both the "Creative MediaSource5" and "Sound Blaster Audigy HD" applications. It is the Sound Blaster Audigy HD application that is the cause of the crashing. For more information about this problem, please click here.

If the "Sound Blaster Audigy HD" application is not installed or you later remove it, many of the features it provided are duplicated and were previously hidden, become available through the Realtek HD Audio Manager."

Here is my thread and you can se the program I kept and removed.
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?2608-Clear-thread-about-how-to-fix-G73h-trouble&p=16479&viewfull=1#post16479
Its worked for me... wish you luck whit this!

pavmastap
06-15-2011, 04:18 PM
no luck.
I removed all Creative stuff and I still experience vertical lines - sometimes blue sometimes black and white. At least my computer doesn't freeze anymore but I can't play games as consistently. Go figure - it's a gaming laptop...

Chastity@ASUS
06-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Pav: Does the vertical lines go away after a few secs, or does the machine lock up? I don't know what you changed after we worked together online.

pavmastap
06-15-2011, 08:36 PM
mostly it's just a display issue as the sound keeps playing but the keyboard or mouse dont work anymore. maybe once or twice it locked up but I would say the issue is display related.

After we last talked I updated Catalyst and ATK and uninstalled all Creative software. It seems to happen once in a while, not as frequent as before but it still happens.

pavmastap
06-22-2011, 05:16 PM
UPDATE:
so it's definitely a display issue I'm dealing with here. About 15-20 seconds in a game the display goes black or blue but sometimes it comes back and my computer still works if I close the application fast enough, if not it stutters and sticks with the blue screen. I recently managed to close the game when I saw the display stutter and saw an error about the display on windows. I checked the event viewer and it tells me it's a display thing.

says EVENT 4101, Display
"Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

EDIT: I just ran furmark BURN-IN test and as the temperature rose to from 50/60C, the video started stuttering and showing the same symptoms around 78/79C

I ran that furmark test right after I experienced the stutter in the game. After a restart I ran furmark again and experienced no problems with the temp never exceeding 81C so the hardware is OK.
I'm just curious as to why it works on some restarts and not all of them.

thailer2
06-26-2012, 09:04 PM
I have been doing a little experiment. I have read multiple places that for some reason or another the G73 and the Realtek HD audio drivers do not play well together. Have downloaded several different drivers versions each with the same result. Initially a re install seems to fix the problem but after about a week and a half to two weeks the random freezes seem to start to creep back up and start becoming more and more frequent to the point of happening ever 15 mins or so. I have experimented and experienced this scenario multiple multiple times. I am currently running my G73jh with the Realtek audio drivers completely uninstalled (of course my sound does not work properly because of this) but it seems to have fixed the random lockups as I have not experienced one since doing this.

dstrakele
06-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Have you seen this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8943-G73-Freezing-Crashing-Issue-WORKAROUND-FOUND? @nuke235 reports ThrottleStop provides a workaround to randowm freezes and BSOD's of G73JH and JW systems without having to uninstall anything.