PDA

View Full Version : Loud DVD/Bluray Drive

ellochewy
11-26-2012, 06:11 PM
I recently purchased a G74SX and when i try to import a music CD in iTunes, the CD drive spins really really really loudly. Is this supposed to happen? I read somewhere that new drives are really fast so the noise is just the disk spinning quickly. Although it does sound like it is spinning quickly, the noise kinda bothers me and makes me think that something might be wrong.

Have any of you encountered this before?

Thanks!

Zygomorphic
11-27-2012, 02:28 AM
The noise is the disk spinning quickly. My G53SX is really loud at higher speeds. There may be some software setting in iTunes to reduce the transfer rate and thereby reduce noise. If you are just trying to go as fast as possible, the CD/DVD drive will make quite a lot of noise.

SUKARA@ASUS
11-27-2012, 08:04 AM
It's normal....
Did you have any problem when you load or write the CD/DVD disk?

ellochewy
11-27-2012, 08:32 AM
It's normal....
Did you have any problem when you load or write the CD/DVD disk?

No there aren't any problems when loading or writing on a disk, but the disk drive spins so furiously that it shakes my entire table, lol. So I hope this is normal...

Zygomorphic
11-27-2012, 11:16 AM
No there aren't any problems when loading or writing on a disk, but the disk drive spins so furiously that it shakes my entire table, lol. So I hope this is normal...

Yes. Make sure that the disc is well seated in the drive (with all the locking tabs engaged). The CD spins really fast in the drive:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_shattering

The shattering part is more iffy, but the spindle speed is correct.