PDA

View Full Version : G75VW: Cannot boot into BIOS after upgrade to v221

kwaclaw
11-27-2012, 02:50 AM
I bought a very recent G75VW (Windows 8 OS, already has the 3630 CPU), and after I got a few blue screens I thought I'll try a BIOS upgrade.

My BIOS was version 218, and 221 was available. So I did. All went well, but recently I wanted to check if Hyper-V was enabled and could not get into the BIOS anymore using F2.

Now, the thing is, it bypasses the Asus logo screen immediately (that would give you some time to hit F2).
I tried everything, pressing F2 continuously, before, after power-on, trying other keys, etc. nothing works.

Tech support suggest Power-on button -> Asus Logo screen -> F2. As if I had not tried that...
They say I should send it in for replacement if that does not work. I don't want to do that, I spent many hours setting up my development environment (could try to clone the disk, maybe)

There is one solution (not a very good one), and it works as follows: Boot into Windows like normal, click on Restart (not Shutdown!!!), and immediately after that, start hitting F2 repeatedly (3-4 times a second). This usually works for me.

However, I would like to know if there is a real fix out here.

cheek
11-27-2012, 04:32 AM
dunno if this will work for you but its worth a try.

charm bar pn the right
'settings'
click 'change pc settings' at the bottom
go to 'general' tab.
scroll to bottom for advanced start up. click 'restart now'
your machine will restart.
choose troubleshoot -> advanced option -> uefi firmware ->restart
machine will boot into your bios.

Quasimodem
11-27-2012, 05:03 AM
Sometimes hitting F2 doesn't bring me to the BIOS either, so what I do is, before powering on, hold F2, power on, continuing to hold F2 and I get into the BIOS...

SUKARA@ASUS
11-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Try remove the battery form the notebook, and wait 1min after,plug in the AC power adapter cable
Then re-start the notebook,
finally, hold "F2" key try to into the bios manual....

kwaclaw
11-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

The restart into BIOS from the OS works, but is essentially the same as my own solution - it requires a working OS.

I tried the other 2 suggestions, holding F2 before power-on, and taking the battery out, but none of them worked for me.
I am inclined to believe that it is a BIOS issue, and hopefully the next BIOS version will resolve it.

Is anyone else running BIOS v221?
I was think about going back to the olde BIOS, but I did not make a backup, and v218 is not available online.

rewben
11-27-2012, 03:02 PM
@kwaclaw, i'm not sure of this but can you check your C: if there is a copy of your stock bios in it? it might be hidden.

previously when i still ran my stock windows 7, there was a copy of my stock bios in C: (so i can revert to it if i used ctrl+home combo)

kwaclaw
11-27-2012, 08:21 PM
@rewben: Just yesterday I found another post that showed how you can use Ctrl+Home to flash from the BIOS, and it mentioned that previous images might be there. So, I saw an image and followed the instructions, but it was the same BIOS as I already had - I guess when I upgraded, the WinFlash replaced the previous BIOS backup.

But thanks for thinking of it!

rewben
11-28-2012, 01:28 AM
oh.. nevermind :/

SUKARA@ASUS
11-28-2012, 03:54 AM
In fact,do once CLRTC setting should be fixed this problem....
But this is notebook product,doesn't suggest to do that...
as total for your reference

madnj
11-28-2012, 05:06 AM
I've done the update, but I've never had an issue getting into the BIOS at startup. I don't hold F2, I repeatedly tap it like a monkey when I power it on and it will bring me in. Have you tried that? I can't imagine your system would behave differently from others who have the same exact BIOS loaded... Just tap F2 repeatedly and you should get the BIOS menu. If not, that's EXTREMELY strange...

kwaclaw
11-28-2012, 01:48 PM
@rewben: I found out that the image I saw was indeed the old BIOS, only EasyFlash had ignored it as it was old. Seems the only way to downgrade is to use WinFlash with the /nodate option. I did that, and I also took the battery out for a few minutes for rebooting, but the problem is still the same:

No Ausus Logo / splash screen
Goes right to Windows boot up screen (showing the animated dotted circle), however, the Windows logo is replaced by the ROG logo
It boots up really fast (which is good, obviously)

So it does not seem a BIOS problem but some persistent settings problem. This brings me to:

@SUKARA: How do I clear the CMOS on a laptop?

@madnj: tried this before, but does certainly not work here.

Thanks guys for all the advice,

rewben
11-28-2012, 02:28 PM
@kwaclaw, when i did the bios downgrade (ctrl+home combo), there was no selection of bios. it's automatically done. i didn't see anything that told me that the bios file was old.

1. have you reset everything in the bios to defaults? before that, it's better to take photos of what's in the bios settings first;
2. that's fine; it's the uefi boot.
3. sweet :D

i think we've missed out one more thing: have you spammed your ESC key during the first few seconds of booting? that should bring up a popup that allows you to select which device to boot; i think there is one option to allow you to go into bios (called Enter Setup or something like that)

kwaclaw
11-29-2012, 04:43 AM
@ rewben: Thanks for trying so hard. The ESC did not work as well, I tried holding or hammering, starting before or right after power-on. Once I press power-on, it takes only a couple of seconds before the Windows boot screen appears.

I haven't found anything that allows me to clear the CMOS on a G75VW. That would be my last attempt.
Otherwise, I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks.

rewben
11-29-2012, 04:59 AM
@kwaclaw, perhaps this is how the new bios and uefi work (it's actually like a total lock-down).

luckily, you still have the workaround to get into the bios :/

kwaclaw
11-29-2012, 10:06 PM
@rewben: You might be right!

Thanks

timppu
12-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

The restart into BIOS from the OS works, but is essentially the same as my own solution - it requires a working OS.

I tried the other 2 suggestions, holding F2 before power-on, and taking the battery out, but none of them worked for me.
I am inclined to believe that it is a BIOS issue, and hopefully the next BIOS version will resolve it.

Is anyone else running BIOS v221?

Ok I replied to another similar thread too, but now I seem to have the same problem too. I just can't get to BIOS setup anymore with F2, even if holding it down while powering on the PC.

It used to work with BIOS 221 (with Win7), but after I also installed Win8 Pro on the secondary drive... now I can't anymore. It is as if Win8 somehow blocks me from doing that?

And yeah, I have actually shut down the PC, not just put Win8 to sleep or hibernated it. I can see the ASUS logo when I power up.

Quasimodem
12-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Ok I replied to another similar thread too, but now I seem to have the same problem too. I just can't get to BIOS setup anymore with F2, even if holding it down while powering on the PC.

It used to work with BIOS 221 (with Win7), but after I also installed Win8 Pro on the secondary drive... now I can't anymore. It is as if Win8 somehow blocks me from doing that?

And yeah, I have actually shut down the PC, not just put Win8 to sleep or hibernated it. I can see the ASUS logo when I power up.

Reload the BIOS using USB method

timppu
12-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Reload the BIOS using USB method

I'm unsure what is the "USB method", but I presume you are suggesting downgrading the BIOS back to some older version, right?

I actually found a way to get to BIOS setup from Win8, and it was the trick of performing the shutdown/restart from the charms menu:

setting => change pc settings => general => to the very bottom of the list

Only if I perform the Win8 shutdown from there, then my F2 or Esc key presses are recognized during the boot, even though I get the ASUS splash screen even without...

If I perform restart/shutdown from the Win7, then there are no such problems. So to me it seems some kind of quirk on Windows 8, ie. some of its shutdown options somehow suppress entering the BIOS setup. I don't know if this happens only with BIOS 221, or also older ones.

Quasimodem
12-06-2012, 11:13 PM
I'm unsure what is the "USB method", but I presume you are suggesting downgrading the BIOS back to some older version, right?

I actually found a way to get to BIOS setup from Win8, and it was the trick of performing the shutdown/restart from the charms menu:

setting => change pc settings => general => to the very bottom of the list

Only if I perform the Win8 shutdown from there, then my F2 or Esc key presses are recognized during the boot, even though I get the ASUS splash screen even without...

If I perform restart/shutdown from the Win7, then there are no such problems. So to me it seems some kind of quirk on Windows 8, ie. some of its shutdown options somehow suppress entering the BIOS setup. I don't know if this happens only with BIOS 221, or also older ones.

Have a 2gb or less USB Flash Drive
Format it as FAT16
Place the BIOS files on it (221 or lower)
Insert it into your G75 in an off-state
Hold down FN + Home while powering on
It will launch the BIOS flash utility

boofsterb
12-07-2012, 12:17 AM
I didnt know there was a bios 218 for the g75vw with windows8 64 bit. Is that a stock bios? and if so why don't they show it on the Asus support download site. All I see for download are bios 207, 210 and 221.

timppu
12-07-2012, 12:53 AM
Hmmm, I'm starting to think the culprit might actually be that the normal "shutdown" in Windows 8 is not a real shutdown, but possibly some kind of semi-hibernate mode, which allows those ultra fast Win8 boot times?

Namely, now that I found the workaround to get to BIOS setup, hence also to boot back to Win7, I was hit with the good old problem where the Win7 complains upon boot that the Win7 partitions need to be checked (chkdsk), ie. as if Win8 had somehow corrupted the Win7 partition(s). I was hit with this problem already with Win8 preview version, which corrupted my Win7 installation, forcing a new installation.

I googled about this (many who have been running Win7 and 8 side by side seem to have had similar problems), and one suggestion from a MS employee was that you should disable "fast boot" in the Win8 options, hidden somewhere in the power options. That is what apparently cripples the shutdown to a semi-hibernate mode, and which might cause corruption in some cases. Or that's the theory, the issue was not yet solved apparently.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/W8ITProPreRel/thread/1be71590-1f43-4525-a341-26bdbccdb9df

Anyway, that lead me to think that maybe this lack of proper shutdown in default Win8 setup is also the reason BIOS setup cannot be accessed during the boot?

I'll have to experiment with this a bit... after yet another Win7 re-installation! >:-(

boofsterb
12-07-2012, 01:29 AM
I bought a very recent G75VW (Windows 8 OS, already has the 3630 CPU), and after I got a few blue screens I thought I'll try a BIOS upgrade.

My BIOS was version 218, and 221 was available. So I did. All went well, but recently I wanted to check if Hyper-V was enabled and could not get into the BIOS anymore using F2.

Now, the thing is, it bypasses the Asus logo screen immediately (that would give you some time to hit F2).
I tried everything, pressing F2 continuously, before, after power-on, trying other keys, etc. nothing works.

Tech support suggest Power-on button -> Asus Logo screen -> F2. As if I had not tried that...
They say I should send it in for replacement if that does not work. I don't want to do that, I spent many hours setting up my development environment (could try to clone the disk, maybe)

There is one solution (not a very good one), and it works as follows: Boot into Windows like normal, click on Restart (not Shutdown!!!), and immediately after that, start hitting F2 repeatedly (3-4 times a second). This usually works for me.

However, I would like to know if there is a real fix out here.
I didnt know there was a bios 218 for the g75vw with windows8 64 bit. Is that a stock bios? and if so why don't they show it on the Asus support download site. All I see for download are bios 207, 210 and 221.

K4mil888
12-07-2012, 03:01 AM
I did an update to this BIOS version as well and had many problems......
Immediately after the update with .221 file from Asus website, my backlit keyboard started to act up (on and off - flickering) and I decided to restart again....
I did use Winflash for that process - though I heard many don't recommend that - but I've done it in the past with other Asus laptops, so what the heck....
The only thing I saw after that was the power button light and I heard the fans running.
SSD, HDD, GPU, screen, CPU - DEAD !!!
I used my old Toshiba Satellite to find every possible solution to fix it, but it was impossible to do without voiding the warranty :[
Fortunately I live in NYC vicinity and I'm able to get it fixed @ the NYC authorized location pretty quick (at least last time it was fast with my Asus K53SV HDD swap).
Well for the next 2 weeks Asus didin't send the motherboard to the repair center and took their time to give any info to them about the shipping progress. It was the most annoying wait I ever had with any laptop !!!!!

The point I'm trying to make is that .221 is a piece of crap, the end result of that update was me losing my G75 for 18 days !

STAY AWAY FROM IT EVERYONE !!!