PDA

View Full Version : Should ASUS apologize? Provide something other than just what I can claim?

joyfulPo
11-27-2012, 03:50 PM
September 10, 2012 - Picked up a new ASUS G75VW 17.3" Full HD for 1938,6 USD
Black dead pixels in the middle of the screen - was delivered back 9/12.

September 12, 2012 - Picked up a second new ASUS G75VW 17.3" Full HD for 1938,6 USD
White dead pixel but my girlfriend thought it was minor so it wasn't delivered back.
But later on, we noticed when you had the screen brightness below 100%, you would see waves moving rapidly from top to below 24\7 (http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/332/0/d/asus_g75vw_screen_error_by_sparrow17th-d5mfe6x.jpg) and there is the horizontal black thin lines across specific type of colors.

September 12, 2012 - Picked up a third new ASUS G75VW 17.3" Full HD for 1938,6 USD
Black\white\green dead pixels - was delivered back 9/16.

September 17, 2012 - Picked up the fourth new ASUS G75VW 17.3" Full HD for 1938,6 USD
Had the same errors as the second purchase plus horizontal black thin lines across specific type of colors - was delivered back 9/18.

September 21, 2012 - Picked up the fifth new ASUS G75VW 17.3" Full HD from a different store and a more expensive model.
This is the one I have now with the same errors as verticle waves moving rapidly below 100% brightness and horizontal black thin lines across specific type of colors.

At this point I was so sick of the driving back and forward to the store outside of my city and was also out of money as all of my purchases would take up to 12 days before they was returned to my bank account.

And the event was in a few days.

And this is my purchase list from the first store where I purchased 4 of my G75VW (http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/332/7/d/four_g75vw_in_1_week_with_faults_by_sparrow17th-d5mflsh.jpg) and my 5th was from a different store.

So the plan was in the beginning to buy two gaming machines for me and my girlfriend before a specific date of an event. And I decided to buy a ASUS product after a tip from a friend.

As the current state of my overall experience, I regret that decision.
ASUS has done nothing but to offer what I can claim as it's my right to have a working product but that doesn't erase all the bad experience I have gone thru.

I've been in touch with ASUS on the phone and they offer no sympathy or explanation, other than to ask me to send them my laptop.

Now if this was the case of 1 purchase, fine. No big deal.
But this is a case of 5 purchases in 1 week.

That's it.. I guess some of you want to just tell me to shut up and send it RMA both of my G75VW and sure, that's all fair and square.

But my point is this WHOLE COMPLETE experience have been most horrific purchase experience I had with any kind of product THIS expensive and I don't really think I will be buying a ASUS product again as they honestly seem not to care how your experience are when buying such expensive product.

When you buy a new fridge, new Plasma TV, washing machine or whatever - you don't want to send it to repair after few weeks.

But in my case, I should had sent in 5 brand new ASUS G75VW for repair if I needed 5.
That make me sick in my stomic just thinking about.

chrsplmr
11-27-2012, 04:14 PM
I AM sorry, but then, I don't have the authority to apologize for Asus ..
.. No One here will tell you to shut up .. we understand your frustration.

That said. ~shrug~ Most are almost BulletProof, That batch I'm guess'n .. who knows .. the 'rush' to meet
the demand .. QC suffered .. but All is not lost.
The deal is 'free from defects' .. so yep, take it back or RMA.

We will never get 'time' back .. And it 'may' be that at the least you are owed an apology ..
but Please, don't hold your breath waiting for it .. 'they' move only forward.

Where are you ?? (Country?) PM(PrivateMessege) cl_scott, Maybe he can get this on an 'express track' or
some such thing ......... Best of Luck .. Play the Lotto, you are due a Win.

And YES, I get the taste of 'puck' in my mouth from this also ..
I can hear the moans and dittos, it's almost deafening .. c.

joyfulPo
11-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks chrsplmr.
I'm from Norway by the way and I get the feeling most people here are from USA, perhaps..

But yes, it accumulates some frustration, all of this.
ASUS Support told me that it would take from 2 weeks to unknown time dependent if they had the hardware needed and etc.

But is it so strange that I hesitate to send it at once when I can be without a laptop for several weeks to possibly months :|

So, yeah..

cl-scott
11-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Hate to split hairs here, but Asus doesn't sell directly, so it sounds like at least some of your complaints would be more appropriately leveled at the retailer. It was their policies that created the delay in the money being refunded to you, or not just offering to swap the units out without any additional money changing hands. I'm not an expert on Norwegian or EU law when it comes to this sort of thing, but assuming the broad strokes are similar to the US, it is curious.

It is rather odd that one person, or even one seller, would apparently have so many defective units. I half wonder if there wasn't something somewhat shady going on with that retailer, especially given their return policy of holding onto your money for almost 2 weeks, but we'll probably never know. Either way, we don't really have any control over how any individual reseller conducts their business. Moving along... When you use statistical sampling for QA, which is the only economically viable method anyone has come up with in all the time we've been engaged in mass industry worldwide, it's going to happen bad units slip through. Anyone who manages to come up with a better method of doing QA on thousands of units at a time, without raising the cost or delaying the outgoing shipment of units, will probably be able to make more money than they could ever spend in several lifetimes giving presentations to companies around the world.

There is, however, another way of looking at this. In order for one person to win a lottery, there has to be a large number of people who did not win. So, you could look at this situation as you having "won" a lottery, only it's not exactly a lottery you want to win. You are the one person out of some large number to have an impressive set of problems. However, because you were the winner of this lottery, all the other people who bought a G75 and are enjoying a problem free experience... I'm sure they would thank you if they knew.

joyfulPo
11-27-2012, 06:00 PM
But if I send my G75VW to RMA, is it 100% that I will get a problem free working G75VW in return?

ASUS Support told me that I could remove my harddrive if I wanted before shipping it to them but than I wonder, how will they look at the screen and if everything is working?

Skull6
11-27-2012, 06:24 PM
@JoyfulPo I feel confident in assuming that ASUS Support has a few "extra" hard drives, that already have the operating system & current drivers installed, just laying around that they could use in your laptop to test your display.

Otherwise, you may wish to consider making copies of all your personal files that are currently on your hard drive, & just RMA your unit with your hard drive still installed.

Redking117
11-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Was the laptop you were buying LED or LCD? I'd say that may be a factor.

I've recently noticed my LCD start doing the flickering/wavey thing at low light levels.

cl-scott
11-27-2012, 07:02 PM
But if I send my G75VW to RMA, is it 100% that I will get a problem free working G75VW in return?

ASUS Support told me that I could remove my harddrive if I wanted before shipping it to them but than I wonder, how will they look at the screen and if everything is working?

I lack any precognition abilities, but what I can tell you is that it is a 100% guarantee that the problems will not just magically fix themselves, so your only real hope of getting them resolved is to send it in for repair.

finalhour
11-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Hate to split hairs here, but Asus doesn't sell directly, so it sounds like at least some of your complaints would be more appropriately leveled at the retailer. It was their policies that created the delay in the money being refunded to you, or not just offering to swap the units out without any additional money changing hands. I'm not an expert on Norwegian or EU law when it comes to this sort of thing, but assuming the broad strokes are similar to the US, it is curious.

It is rather odd that one person, or even one seller, would apparently have so many defective units. I half wonder if there wasn't something somewhat shady going on with that retailer, especially given their return policy of holding onto your money for almost 2 weeks, but we'll probably never know. Either way, we don't really have any control over how any individual reseller conducts their business. Moving along... When you use statistical sampling for QA, which is the only economically viable method anyone has come up with in all the time we've been engaged in mass industry worldwide, it's going to happen bad units slip through. Anyone who manages to come up with a better method of doing QA on thousands of units at a time, without raising the cost or delaying the outgoing shipment of units, will probably be able to make more money than they could ever spend in several lifetimes giving presentations to companies around the world.

There is, however, another way of looking at this. In order for one person to win a lottery, there has to be a large number of people who did not win. So, you could look at this situation as you having "won" a lottery, only it's not exactly a lottery you want to win. You are the one person out of some large number to have an impressive set of problems. However, because you were the winner of this lottery, all the other people who bought a G75 and are enjoying a problem free experience... I'm sure they would thank you if they knew.

Hah not gonna lie that lottery bit...cracks me up. @JoyfulPo Hopefully ASUS has better quality control than that. That being said, they've yet to affirm that the screen issues exist and I have dead pixels too, I've just decided that a few dead pixels aren't the end of the world, I'll just buy MSI next time since ASUS can't be trusted to deliver consistently.

joyfulPo
11-28-2012, 12:09 AM
I am somewhat curious about one thing.

Can the waves that move rapidly down on the screen constantly when brightness is below 100% be a error that has something to do with the refresh rate on the screen?

cl-scott
11-28-2012, 12:12 AM
I am somewhat curious about one thing.

Can the waves that move rapidly down on the screen constantly when brightness is below 100% be a error that has something to do with the refresh rate on the screen?

I'd defer to the technician actually working on the unit when/if you send it in, but it sounds to me like an issue with the inverter.

joyfulPo
11-28-2012, 12:18 AM
I'd defer to the technician actually working on the unit when/if you send it in, but it sounds to me like an issue with the inverter.
Oh, okey.
I'm going to send it in before the warranty is over, just need to find the right moment to be without a laptop for so long.

rewben
11-28-2012, 02:24 AM
@joyfulPo, from your descriptions, it's clear that the seller didn't treat you fairly :/

off topic but imo, QA at manufacturing level will not help in this kind of issues, because the actual problems are not in that part of the whole process. it involves more that (i.e. this is a collective effort, involving various parties from factory, logistic, retailers, up to the end user, plus the after-sales warranty/supports), and manufacturers have no/little control over most parts of that big picture.

madnj
11-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Honestly, from what I've read here, I think the "problems" you mention with all of the laptops after the ones with the dead pixels weren't necessarily defective, but just the way it is with the G75 display when combined with the NVidia drivers.

I have the same faint horizontal black lines on certain games/images that have dark colors, and my understanding is that's a widespread report that many people have made. It may be an issue with the panels that are being used for the G75, an issue with the Nvidia drivers, or some combination of both.

Does it bother me personally? I notice it, but only at very specific shades of color and not on blacks, so I personally can live with it just fine. Most of the time I don't even notice it, and when I do, it certainly doesn't degrade my appreciation for the system I have. This issue also does not happen when outputting over HDMI to another device/panel which leads me to believe it's with the panel in some way, but consistent across all panels so not something that will be remedied by getting a new/different system from ASUS or complaining about it.

I think some people have considered going out and buying a different panel altogether and installing it themselves and that's likely a potential fix, but I personally can live with it as is. It really has not hampered my enjoyment or appreciation for the power/performance of this system and I don't think it reflects on ASUS at all. They went about building a laptop and chose a specific display panel for their build. They paired it with a decent motherboard, GPU, CPU, RAM, etc, and expected it to work - which it does. If the defect is consistent across all of these panels, it's a panel problem (which is not made by ASUS), and therefore not something for which I feel they should be held accountable.

Would I appreciate if ASUS pushed this with their panel provider and identified a systemic panel problem across the line and offered panel replacement? Sure, but I'd want them to ship me the panel so I could do it myself to not be without my system for any period of time.

I can certainly understand the frustration after going through so many laptops, and I'd have the same issue with dead/stuck pixels, but the complaints about the horizontal lines I think is just something us G75 owners generally come to accept. As I said, in my normal usage I very rarely notice it which might just say more about my eyesight than anything, but hey, I am still very happy with my decision to get the G75.

joyfulPo
11-28-2012, 07:14 AM
Honestly, from what I've read here, I think the "problems" you mention with all of the laptops after the ones with the dead pixels weren't necessarily defective, but just the way it is with the G75 display when combined with the NVidia drivers.

I have the same faint horizontal black lines on certain games/images that have dark colors, and my understanding is that's a widespread report that many people have made. It may be an issue with the panels that are being used for the G75, an issue with the Nvidia drivers, or some combination of both.

Does it bother me personally? I notice it, but only at very specific shades of color and not on blacks, so I personally can live with it just fine. Most of the time I don't even notice it, and when I do, it certainly doesn't degrade my appreciation for the system I have. This issue also does not happen when outputting over HDMI to another device/panel which leads me to believe it's with the panel in some way, but consistent across all panels so not something that will be remedied by getting a new/different system from ASUS or complaining about it.

I think some people have considered going out and buying a different panel altogether and installing it themselves and that's likely a potential fix, but I personally can live with it as is. It really has not hampered my enjoyment or appreciation for the power/performance of this system and I don't think it reflects on ASUS at all. They went about building a laptop and chose a specific display panel for their build. They paired it with a decent motherboard, GPU, CPU, RAM, etc, and expected it to work - which it does. If the defect is consistent across all of these panels, it's a panel problem (which is not made by ASUS), and therefore not something for which I feel they should be held accountable.

Would I appreciate if ASUS pushed this with their panel provider and identified a systemic panel problem across the line and offered panel replacement? Sure, but I'd want them to ship me the panel so I could do it myself to not be without my system for any period of time.

I can certainly understand the frustration after going through so many laptops, and I'd have the same issue with dead/stuck pixels, but the complaints about the horizontal lines I think is just something us G75 owners generally come to accept. As I said, in my normal usage I very rarely notice it which might just say more about my eyesight than anything, but hey, I am still very happy with my decision to get the G75.

If only there was a fix I could do myself with the waves that show up under 100% brightness on the screen that moves rapidly down like, waves, yes.

Hm. Nobody has that?

rewben
11-28-2012, 11:53 AM
er.. that's an anomaly. i guess most display panel issues found in this forum are not as extreme as yours.

kuudou
11-28-2012, 07:03 PM
No, to this day I am finding new problems with the G75 units in terms of the screen on both ROG forums and Notebook Review Forums. From flickering (most common), dimming on the bottom 1/4 of the screen, to entire blocks displaying nothing.

I myself have encountered a really odd screen problem for my G75VW-DS72 that no one else seems to have. My screen flickers every 40 seconds or so when I'm playing Faster Than Light on Battery mode. Running regular applications/other games does not cause this problem to occur. Updating graphic drivers and uninstalling Power4Gear also does nothing.

It's not crucial, but it's a minor annoyance mostly due to the fact that I have no idea what the hell is causing it.

finalhour
11-28-2012, 08:01 PM
No, to this day I am finding new problems with the G75 units in terms of the screen on both ROG forums and Notebook Review Forums. From flickering (most common), dimming on the bottom 1/4 of the screen, to entire blocks displaying nothing.

I myself have encountered a really odd screen problem for my G75VW-DS72 that no one else seems to have. My screen flickers every 40 seconds or so when I'm playing Faster Than Light on Battery mode. Running regular applications/other games does not cause this problem to occur. Updating graphic drivers and uninstalling Power4Gear also does nothing.

It's not crucial, but it's a minor annoyance mostly due to the fact that I have no idea what the hell is causing it.

Just plug it in dude