PDA

View Full Version : New Beta Phoebus-3.08(CR)

GoNz0-
11-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Well I have to say so far I am impressed and only by one feature so far, I rebooted and the headphone gain was right where i left it on High Gain!

Thanks for listening Asus :)

Glasofruix
11-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Whut? Where?

Squall
11-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Guys can you check if your firmware was updated? Mine still says 1014 and I have installed the new drivers.

HEMAH
11-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Mine is 1014 too

GoNz0-
11-27-2012, 06:01 PM
if the firmware didn't update then the installer would have tried to flash it again, so probably not showing the correct version even though it is.

GoNz0-
11-27-2012, 06:07 PM
i take that back.

Jandenengelsman
11-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Where to download??? cant find them on the Asus site!! :(

GoNz0-
11-27-2012, 07:04 PM
the beta driver thread that's stuck at the top of this forum section.

HEMAH
11-27-2012, 07:08 PM
So why didn't mine?

GoNz0-
11-27-2012, 07:10 PM
So why didn't mine?

did you fully uninstall the drivers 1st ?

if so i suggest you file a report.

Squall
11-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Gonzo you did anything special? I unistalled the previous beta ones, then rebooted then installed the new drivers, altough as soon as I was unistalling windows was installing something because a symbol appeared on the bottom right corner.

GoNz0-
11-27-2012, 08:01 PM
i had the same during uninstall as it installs the card as a standard hd sound card, when i rebooted i ran setup, setup told me it would update the firmware as it was an older version.
then force a reboot, it rebooted, i ran the installer again and job done.

cx-ray
11-27-2012, 08:06 PM
When you remove the old drivers, Windows will install the default HD audio driver again.

Concerning the latest beta drivers, on installation it will poll your Phoebus for the firmware version. Then update it when necessary and initiate a system shutdown (as a precaution I also switched off my PSU and waited until all mobo lights were off).
Run the driver software again once you boot into Windows. After installation choose system restart from the dialog.

Now you should be fully updated.

Glasofruix
11-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Updated, i don't have the time to test everything right now, but at least surround max sounds decently now and that's already a progress :p

HEMAH
11-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Here's what happens to me, I unninstall, reboot, install (does not mention anything about firmware update), when finishes installation it says I chose not to reboot (didn't chose anything at all) and that I should restart later, and I click ok, then it asks me if I want to reboot now and I should, and I click yes.. And that's pretty much what happens and still firmware 1014

Squall
11-27-2012, 09:18 PM
I'm having the exact situation as HEMAH, dont know what we're doing wrong but we have the exact same problem. I'm running Windows 7 ultimate SP1, my motherboard is a Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe and the Phoebus is connected to the top PCIe 2.0 x1 slot and I have the onboard audio disabled.

HEMAH
11-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Im using an Asus p7p55d-e pro, PCIe 2.0 x1 (5GT/s) slot and this problem also happened before with other drivers I think.

Mike Fossati
11-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Installation worked without issues, firmware was upgraded to 1015. Although nothing was said wether the ASIO issues were fixed or not, upon testing the ASIO driver in Wavelab 7 64bit it looks the ASIO issues are not yet fixed as Wavelab becomes unresponsive...

Gopher
11-28-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm running win 8 64 bit and the installer doesn't update my firmware either. I tried to run the installer as administrator, but that didn't help.

dsp
11-28-2012, 04:38 PM
no FW update here to (1014)
tried it a few time's (uninstalling and reinstalling)
spdiff was fixed i read but stereo upmix to 5 channels (stereo source) is not working i noticed

hope someone knows or finds a way to update the firmware if that realy should improve something

little bit dissapointed after all those months still betadrivers asus but nice to know there are still busy with trying to write some decent software

xjoey83x
11-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Heads up folks, I successfully installed the firmware update and new drivers last night and so far it looks good as i played with some of the extra features like DTS surround sound etc. Here are the steps you should do when updating.

1. Uninstall software and drivers for your Xonar Phoebus and restart your system.
2. Once restarted start the setup.exe and it will prompt you that your xonar card needs a firmware update to proceed.
3. Once the firmware is installed you have to restart your computer again and start the setup.exe file to install drivers. When installing drivers it will prompt you to make sure your card is receiving power from you PSU to proceed.
4. Once drivers are installed you will need to restart your computer and you should be all set.

dsp
11-28-2012, 05:14 PM
just tried for the 5th time (thank god a have a ssd ) no mention of a firmware install

Squall
11-28-2012, 05:47 PM
Yeah same here, did all the steps mentioned here and I get no message to update firmware when I click the setup.exe after the old drivers are uninstalled. Dont really know what's up with this.

lordberti
11-29-2012, 05:16 AM
Also with me during the driver installation is not a firmware update. Have Tried everything for 3 hours. Even the sound card to different PCIe slots done, still nothing.

Raja@ASUS
11-29-2012, 08:33 AM
If you are having firmware update issues be sure to fill out a bug report form stating all system specs and mail it in. In order for a bug to be fixed it needs to be recreated at HQ - without all info that's not possible. If you do not wish to use a bug report form the only other way to notify the Xonar team is to use your local service channels. Please use one of the methods.

I had no issue with the FW update on my card at home. Win 7 64 bit (genuine). Uninstalled previous driver, reBOOTed system when prompted to do so. Installed new driver which prompted me about the firmware update and then I pressed OK to shutdown the system. Left it for a short time, powered back on and then reBOOTed to OS and restarted driver install, which completed and showed updated FW.

-Raja

Lotek
11-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Why not just provide us with the firmware update tool?

lordberti
11-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Installed new driver which prompted me about the firmware update ...
-Raja

Just come with me no prompt for firmware update, just update drivers, no more.

A firmware update tool for would be really good.

dsp
11-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Well Raja@ASUS filling out those bug forms is 1 thing we can do but ...
What asus needs to do for their customers is to read the internet so they can try to understand and imagine the pain their customers have
So many months have passed by and still beta drivers , card still works at 60% (or less) of what it can do they need to hire some people with programming skills and dont ya dear say it isn't true
I mean check this forum alone most problems reported here are experienced by many users so its not something they suck out of their thumb
A simple FW update tool not working , i mean its 2012 on a 2010 chipset modified their kidding right !
Since day of release with this card there have been so many issues and me and alot of others are realy done with it
We support asus but i dont see it vica versa

DANIEL K where are you m8 save us.........................

Karl-Johan
11-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Firmware update not working here. Using Windows 8 64bit.

* Corsair Graphite 600T * Intel Core i7-3930K @ 4,6GHz * ASUS Rampage IV Extreme * G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3 PC19200 8x4096MB * 4xOCZ Vertex4 RAID0 * LSI 9271-4i * Samsung S27B970D * ASUS Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 * Asus Xonar Phoebus * LG CH10 10x Blu-ray * Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1 * QNAP TS-559 PRO, 5x3TB Hitachi RAID5 *

magictoaster
11-30-2012, 02:23 AM
I just installed the new beta (3.08(CR)) driver (removed the old one, rebooted, installed the new one, rebooted) and I was not prompted for a firmware update at all during the installation process.

Bug report sent...

Lotek
11-30-2012, 03:31 AM
Asus just doesn't get it. If the new SB ZxR is good I'll switch and never look back. Asus has had plenty of time to address the problems.

Bug report sent...

Raja@ASUS
11-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Keep sending them in lads, they are reading them :)

HQ tells me they have just doub;e-checked two Windows 8 64 bit machines and the driver installation went without a glitch.

Need all bug reports forms filled in to see what they can do to find out what the cause is...

-Raja

Lotek
11-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Just release the stand alone FW updater. Problem fixed. What is the big deal?

Raja@ASUS
11-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Just release the stand alone FW updater. Problem fixed. What is the big deal?

Send in a bug report or contact ASUS Support for your region. If you don't want to do either, there is nothing else I can suggest.

You can send in the bug report and make your request for the firmware updater there also. When our guys can replicate they will decide what the best course of action is, they won't just throw a update tool if it does not fix anything. Getting a fix requires replication - if there's something stopping the update then it needs fixing - the tool might not work either and that will make matters worse. On top of that if the process of rolling out a tool takes time and it does not fix the problem either, we'll be back at square one with more complaints. Go through the process if you want it patched. :)

You guys seem to think nobody helps. I was the one that requested this driver be pushed out in the interim. While I understand your frustration, there is a reason I ask you to do things in a certain way when there's a fix needed. If you don't do it, then there's little I can do on my end.

-Raja

magictoaster
11-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Tried again, this time with 'Run this program as an administrator', same result. The drivers install properly and appear to work perfectly, but no firmware update. After the installation :

Audio CODEC : ASUS XONAR PHOEBUS Audio Device
Audio Driver Version : 8.0.1.25
Firmware Version : 1014
DirectX Version : DirectX 11
CPL Version : 3.0.0.2

GFX : 6.0.12.118
LFX : 6.0.12.118

cx-ray
11-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Do the users that are experiencing FW update problems, happen to have the Phoebus in a native PCI-e 1x or 4x slot that's routed through the Southbridge or PCH?

Glasofruix
11-30-2012, 02:33 PM
I have mine in the second pci-e x16 (because placing the x1 ones firther from the slot taken by the graphic card would have been too easy, i'm looking at you asus p5Q pro) and it updated without problems firmware and all. What i might suggest is that you guys uninstall the asus driver, reboot, then reboot into safe mode and run driver sweeper (or whatever it's called novadays) on asus sound drivers (and additionnaly check if there are remains of realtek, via or creative sound drivers) reboot again and rerun the installer.

Gopher
11-30-2012, 02:56 PM
I've also sent a bug report.

I tried running as administrator, running it from safe mode, running a driver cleaner etc. Nothing seem to help.

Karl-Johan
11-30-2012, 03:06 PM
I've tried updating the card in two completely different PCs, no luck.

Update:

Got the firmware update now. What I did:

1. Uninstall software.
2. Shutdown computer.
3. Move Phoebus to "red" x16 PCIE slot under graphicscard. (Was in a "black" PCIE-slot).
4. Startup computer.
5. Run setup again.

Using Windows 8 64bit.

dsp
11-30-2012, 07:20 PM
tried once more (win7 x64)
uninstalled rebooted shutdown restart installed NOTHING !
cant move my card got 2 gpu's watercooled
tried every scenario possible no update.

screamer980
11-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Tried the method with switching the pci-E. Still 1014.

Luxion
11-30-2012, 11:03 PM
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling this driverset twice (once with soft-boots at any given prompts, once with full shutdowns at the same prompts) and the drivers installed normally, but I didn't get prompted at all for a firmware upgrade. The only significant prompt I got along the way was the "Choose not to restart the computer..." one (which appeared on its own and with no preceding prompts of any kind after the installation started), which as mentioned previously appeared before the actual "Would you like to reboot your computer now?" prompt.

And before I go fill out a bug report I suppose this would be a good time to ask: what exactly does the firmware update do, anyway?

Killa
12-01-2012, 03:59 AM
Is anyone else having issues in BF3 with a headset and your gun sounds are coming out of the right headphone?

I Updated to the newest beta drivers, no problems with firmware not updating.

I have Sennheiser PC 350 headset, sample rate at 192 - 24. High gain on and everything else off.
When ever i load into BF3 with these settings my gunshots are coming out of my right headphone, but i still hear the rest of the game out of my left headphone. Didnt have this problem with the last beta driver. When i turn Xear Surround max on, the problem goes away but my sound quality and volume level goes down.

magictoaster
12-01-2012, 05:15 AM
This worked for me!

I've tried updating the card in two completely different PCs, no luck.

Update:

Got the firmware update now. What I did:

1. Uninstall software.
2. Shutdown computer.
3. Move Phoebus to "red" x16 PCIE slot under graphicscard. (Was in a "black" PCIE-slot).
4. Startup computer.
5. Run setup again.

Using Windows 8 64bit.

screamer980
12-01-2012, 10:12 AM
I put a brand new SSD in my Rig, insatlled Win 8 64-Bit.
No Firmware update.
I tried all 5 possible slots in my CH V. Uninstalled everytime driver before switching the slot.
No Indication for Firmware Update popped up.
Windows 8 was a virgin installation without installing anything.
Bios loaded with optimized settings and no OC.
Don't know what to do to force this Firmware Update.
Thx Sonar Driver Team. This card took me hours of my time.
And not to mention the problems I had with BF3 and STILL (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25825-Strange-Microphone-Problem&p=190199#post190199)have.

Glasofruix
12-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Is anyone else having issues in BF3 with a headset and your gun sounds are coming out of the right headphone?

I have Sennheiser PC 350 headset, sample rate at 192 - 24. High gain on and everything else off.
When ever i load into BF3 with these settings my gunshots are coming out of my right headphone, but i still hear the rest of the game out of my left headphone. Didnt have this problem with the last beta driver. When i turn Xear Surround max on, the problem goes away but my sound quality and volume level goes down.

192Khz? Why in the name of spaghetti monster, why? BF3 as most games doesn't go higher than 48Khz, and frankly oversampling can cause a lot of problems. For your channel problem you might try unplugging your headset during a game and then plugging it back in, forcing the driver to re-detect a headset and set the channels accordingly (also make sure you're in "headphones" mode in BF3 settings). That happened a lot with the old beta drivers and surround setups, the card switched channels around and the only solution was to alt-tam set to stereo then back to 5.1/7.1.

Gopher
12-01-2012, 11:09 AM
This is really really weird.

My motherboard have 3 PCI-E x16 slots. 2 of those was occupied by my 2x 680's in SLI. The Phoebus was sitting in the third x16 slot. As a last resort, I pulled out one of my graphics cards and moved the Phoebus to it's slot and now I get prompted for the firmware update.

screamer980
12-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Update:
I took the card to a friend, he installed the card in his system.
It's funny but a non ROG branded Board from Gigabyte initiated the firmware update immediately.
Update worked just fine, driver installation the same.
So I took the card back home and put it in my sys. Now it's also firmware Version 1015.
But please fix this. I won't install the card in another PC everytime, just for a firmware update.

dsp
12-01-2012, 10:43 PM
you noticed anything with the new firmware ?

can someone confirm that the sudden pops out of speakers are gone together with the channel mix at the same time the speakers pop (cracks)

Glasofruix
12-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Well, i haven't heard any channel mix since i've updated.

lordberti
12-02-2012, 08:14 AM
This is really really weird.

My motherboard have 3 PCI-E x16 slots. 2 of those was occupied by my 2x 680's in SLI. The Phoebus was sitting in the third x16 slot. As a last resort, I pulled out one of my graphics cards and moved the Phoebus to it's slot and now I get prompted for the firmware update.

Thank you. Now have the Xonar plugged into different PCI slots and tried with the new driver. Until then a firmware update finally came.

Squall
12-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Worked for me after I removed the card from the PCIe 2.0 x1 to the bottom PCIe 2.0 x4.

Glasofruix
12-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Soooooo, the bone asus threw us kind of soothed our raging bloodlust, but i'm craving for blood yet again. So what's the status on the juicy meaty non beta driver?

Case
12-05-2012, 11:18 PM
I have this problem with both the old beta Windows 8 driver and the current pre-release beta driver. Audio in BF3 only worked correctly with the latest beta Windows 7 drivers that I used before Asus had Windows 8 drivers available. They had other problems though so I stopped using them.

No problems here either. I wonder if the people with updating problems had Windows automatically install the old drivers from Windows Update. It does that if it's connected to internet and automatic driver installation isn't disabled.

I haven't tried toying around with different settings, I always just enable 48 kHz 24 bit output and the same settings for mic input.
I recall all sounds are concentrated to the right headphone though. At least I'm sure that playing is very difficult as you can't tell the direction of sounds. I have checked many times that all effects in sound card control program are off and I have also tried uninstalling the Dolby stuff, but nothing helps. I once managed to fix the audio by alt-tabbing to Windows during the game and enabled the "Disable all enhancements" option for headphones. But on next match the horrible audio was back and I noticed the tickmark was gone. The same trick no longer worked.

I am forced to use the card with the default Microsoft High Definition Audio drivers. I don't know if it's the card's fault or the fault of missing drivers, but sometimes audio playback jumps to wrong speakers (when I'm not playing BF3 I have analog 5.1 speakers connected). Sometimes stereo output jumps from front channels to rear channels. This used to happen quite often with the old firmware when audio was resumed after having been paused for several minutes. With the new firmware I have so far had it happen only once, but this time it happened without anything being in paused state.

Great card if things get fixed.

Raja@ASUS
12-06-2012, 07:26 AM
Bug reports to the Xonar email address lads. No chance of a fix unless the bug is reported via that inbox with all necessary replication details supplied.

dan.ivan
12-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Hello, can anyone tell us when will arrive the next non beta driver for windows 7 x64? I have replaced my creative x-fi card with this one and I
hope I didn't trow up the money.
Thank you!

..VeNoM..
12-12-2012, 05:31 PM
As usual I'm effected by this issue of not being able to get the update firmware option. I just tried every slot I had available and wasted about an hour of my time.

I'll submit a report but seriously the sound card is more work than it's worth :(

dsp
12-12-2012, 06:52 PM
i just did the update on the card but had to move it to another system
on my own system (with an asus mobo !!!) no update was possible also

M0d
12-18-2012, 03:36 PM
I have this problem with both the old beta Windows 8 driver and the current pre-release beta driver. Audio in BF3 only worked correctly with the latest beta Windows 7 drivers that I used before Asus had Windows 8 drivers available. They had other problems though so I stopped using them.

No problems here either. I wonder if the people with updating problems had Windows automatically install the old drivers from Windows Update. It does that if it's connected to internet and automatic driver installation isn't disabled.

I haven't tried toying around with different settings, I always just enable 48 kHz 24 bit output and the same settings for mic input.
I recall all sounds are concentrated to the right headphone though. At least I'm sure that playing is very difficult as you can't tell the direction of sounds. I have checked many times that all effects in sound card control program are off and I have also tried uninstalling the Dolby stuff, but nothing helps. I once managed to fix the audio by alt-tabbing to Windows during the game and enabled the "Disable all enhancements" option for headphones. But on next match the horrible audio was back and I noticed the tickmark was gone. The same trick no longer worked.

I am forced to use the card with the default Microsoft High Definition Audio drivers. I don't know if it's the card's fault or the fault of missing drivers, but sometimes audio playback jumps to wrong speakers (when I'm not playing BF3 I have analog 5.1 speakers connected). Sometimes stereo output jumps from front channels to rear channels. This used to happen quite often with the old firmware when audio was resumed after having been paused for several minutes. With the new firmware I have so far had it happen only once, but this time it happened without anything being in paused state.

Great card if things get fixed.

Seems like this one sided sound is fixed for me if I turn on Enhanced stereo mode in BF3 sound settings. Of course Headphones Sound system also selected.

txfeinbergs
12-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Well, this was my first switch to an ASUS soundcard from 10+ years of using Creative, and although the Xonar Phoebus's HW is top notch, the SW leaves so much to be desired and is unnecessarily confusing, that I am willing to switch to the SoundBlaster ZX even though I know from a HW spec standpoint, it is not as good.

I had thought Creative had bad driver support, but ASUS's is actually worse (and you must actually have to be trying to be that bad to get under Creative's low bar). When you have to switch PCI slots to get the driver to recognize the firmware update, that is where I draw the line.

The nice thing about the Sound Blaster ZX is that the SW suite/driver is top notch, easy to understand, and actually works!

(FYI, there are 5 ZXs left on Amazon as of this morning).

dsp
12-18-2012, 07:36 PM
i understand your pain :D

i am selling the card also and like you said they had to do their very best to get a status as low as creative but Asus YOU MADE IT !!!
they are mysterious and fuzzy like always
what did the new firmware do ? did not see a damn thing changed , release notes ???

dan.ivan
12-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Maybe someone can tell us if Asus will have support for this hardware or not;

GoNz0-
12-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Maybe someone can tell us if Asus will have support for this hardware or not; the winner of daft question of the day ?

what do you think the updates are for ?

dan.ivan
12-20-2012, 02:49 PM
We all hope that the updates will fix the issues and rise this card to his real performance but unfortunately they don't show up

CSF@ROG
12-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Download Link does not work for me.

Edit: Download started, it was just incredibly slow (took about 2 minutes to get a prompt for a download location).

x7007
12-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Should i use this option with a Studio headphones ? beyerdynamic dt 990 premium 600ohms.

And if so, which settings should i use. the pre set for gaming ? cause music is not so so with this thing, it's always stutter me why do you have this options, for High-End quality or just people who have really Low-End and need more options/settings to make it "look/sound" like Medium/High-End.

I mean people with High-End heaphones will use the DTS ultra pc II ? i really want them to make FAQ or Help subject this manner on the driver install so u can always make sure u know what it does. like explaining something as "This settings improve the sound Xx for better voice - not required for high-end headphones"

Something like that to know that u don't really need it.

GoNz0-
12-23-2012, 07:13 PM
for those headphones you only really need to set the gain to max.

x7007
12-23-2012, 09:39 PM
for those headphones you only really need to set the gain to max.

I mean, won't any setting will help me to get surround effects or anything to make the game sound better, i really miss the sound i had with Creative Xtreme + SteelSeries 5vCH, not the quality itself, but the surround effect i felt in the game. Now all i get is Top Studio quality but no surround or feel in-game, do u see what i'm trying to explain, it's just too hard for me, english is a biatch for me right now, not talking and writing much effect my communication.

Edit: Ho and those - I mean they say it right here : DTS UltraPC II is the ultimate audio technology suite that delivers superior audio quality regardless of whether PC is used as a home theater system, digital phone, or gaming device. The DTS UltraPC II suite includes the following proprietary technologies

•DTS Surround Sensation: Utilizes psycho-acoustic information to simulate surround sound through PC speakers or headphones
•DTS Symmetry: Constantly monitors and balances loudness level differences between all types of digital audio formats
•DTS Boost: Enables audio systems to deliver a bigger sound without additional hardware costs
•DTS Enhance: Intelligently augments low and high frequencies to maintain the desired balance and brightness of musical tones
•DTS Audio Restoration: Analyses audio signals for restoration of compressed or re-mastered percussion and transient sounds, bringing back the lost punch and clarity
•Voice Clarification: Enhances the signal clarity to improve the audio quality of dialogue derived from Blu-ray Disc™ or standard DVD
•Bass Enhancement: Restores the perception of fundamental low-frequency tones by dynamically augmenting harmonics, yielding improved bass performance without the additional hardware costs of adding a subwoofer
•Soundstage Expansion: Broadens the soundstage and creates a phantom center channel for improved clarity and audio crispness

Operation Nadethrow
12-24-2012, 10:46 AM
The problem with the right sound in battlefield 3 can u fix if u enable XearSurround during u play and disable Xearsurround. So u have normal stereosound. must be a sempelrate bug in the driver or something like else.
But the left sound is all the time a little bit lower than the right sound. i have to change the volume control, there is a different to 1,2db on the left side. my doc says my ears works fine :-) and my HiFi made checked my Headphones, they work fine too.
I use the beta driver under Windows 8 64bit with Headphones.

I hope i helped some people with the rightsound bug in BF3

Glasofruix
12-24-2012, 02:37 PM
There's no miracle here, some headsets suck in the gaming departement but are great in music and vice-versa.

davidm71
01-05-2013, 04:08 AM
Hi,

I also could not get the beta 3.08 drivers to update to 1015 firmware. Kind of a pain to unplug video cards if you ask me. Going to try another machine to update the card. BTW the native windows driver sounds A LOT better than the Asus Phoebus driver which sounds not as crisp.

ALSO:

Found a bug I think. Was having problems with Borderlands 2 giving a Fatal Error message every time I quit playing. So I reinstalled the VC++ libraries and still got the error. Then uninstalled the release drivers for the phoebus in preparation for the update and no more fatal error! Its good to know that with the last betas its not giving an error either. Not 100% sure it was the Phoebus release drivers but odds look that way..

Glasofruix
01-05-2013, 11:41 AM
It would be great to have an actual non beta driver, how about asking the devs if they've sobered up enough to actually code something, huh, Raja?

AVtemp
01-05-2013, 01:35 PM
This is a damn good question.
I spend like 200$ on this toy, so i want to know the answer too.

davidm71
01-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Hi,

I also could not get the beta 3.08 drivers to update to 1015 firmware. Kind of a pain to unplug video cards if you ask me. Going to try another machine to update the card. BTW the native windows driver sounds A LOT better than the Asus Phoebus driver which sounds not as crisp.

ALSO:

Found a bug I think. Was having problems with Borderlands 2 giving a Fatal Error message every time I quit playing. So I reinstalled the VC++ libraries and still got the error. Then uninstalled the release drivers for the phoebus in preparation for the update and no more fatal error! Its good to know that with the last betas its not giving an error either. Not 100% sure it was the Phoebus release drivers but odds look that way..

Got the firmware updated at last. Had to move the card to the bottom most pci-e slot and run the driver software which proceeds to update the firmware before installing the drivers. There is no need to reboot and install drivers if your going to move the card back to its original slot. Just shut down, move the card back to its original location, reboot, and install the drivers. Works.

genkifd
01-07-2013, 10:36 PM
having some issues with this card.

as soon as i install this card into my system, some games slow down drastically to 4 fps (darksiders 2 - WTF sli gtx 680 classifieds). 3DMark11 runs slower than on a single GPU.

davidm71
01-07-2013, 10:55 PM
I think you probably have driver corruption. I would recommend a complete uninstall of video and audio drivers, using a driver cleaner to do a clean install. Make sure you use the latest betas.

genkifd
01-08-2013, 10:49 PM
driver sweeper removed some required drivers and made my OS not bootable. never using this program again.

reinstalled windows 7 pro and still the same with all new latest drivers. Also tried every pci-e slot combination and no solution.

davidm71
01-08-2013, 11:06 PM
driver sweeper removed some required drivers and made my OS not bootable. never using this program again.

reinstalled windows 7 pro and still the same with all new latest drivers. Also tried every pci-e slot combination and no solution.

I never had that problem unless I did a deep scan in driver cleaner. So after a fresh bran new install of win 7 pro your still getting the slow downs? It goes away without the card? Maybe you have a bad card. Maybe you need a bios update. I once had an issue with a Sound Blaster XFi that wouldn't allow the system to even post. Had to RMA the SB. Later got all sorts of crackle and pop sounds that didn't go away for a whole year until the Motherboard manufacturer released one last bios update. So I'm guessing theres some compatibility issue here. Make sure you also disable motherboard sound and unneed devices like firewire and stuff like that..

Good luck.

genkifd
01-09-2013, 12:16 AM
still down downs and gpu usage max 60% in some games. sound card works as i am currently using it now. with the card removed the sli runs as normal.

I am getting a feeling its the Phoebus beta driver.

davidm71
01-09-2013, 02:03 AM
still down downs and gpu usage max 60% in some games. sound card works as i am currently using it now. with the card removed the sli runs as normal.

I am getting a feeling its the Phoebus beta driver.

Still down downs? Probably a motherboard problem.

genkifd
01-09-2013, 02:33 AM
hopefully either way it is just a bios issue with EVGA Z77 ftw and/or Asus Phoebus driver.

I have sent both companies emails to get this matter fixed.

ozzydog153
01-09-2013, 11:46 PM
bf3 with 5.1 analog klipsch. been playing for a few days now with the newest beta drivers using dolby game mode fps. sometimes out of no were the front and rear speakers will swap. one match everything is fine the next my front audio is being outputted to the rear speakers and vice versa ????

genkifd
01-10-2013, 12:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LD0Cx5s-rA

this should temp fix your issue

ozzydog153
01-10-2013, 12:42 AM
ty will check it out

GPUjoe
01-10-2013, 05:21 AM
Seriously how long has the Phoebus been out now and we are still on Beta drivers! terrible support Asus, at least you fixed the BF3 issue, if that didn't get fixed I would have returned it like all of those Creatives.

GPUjoe
01-10-2013, 05:23 AM
Raja can you at least give us a rough idea when the final drivers will be released?

chilinmichael
01-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Actually if you watched the long review Newegg did with the release of the Phoebus and the interview with the Asus' rep, they did say new driver releases would be seldom and far apart, so at least they were upfront about it. Not defending it, though. Luckily I've had no issue, the new beta however does not work well with Windows 8 because protected mode doesn't register correctly. Either it could be because it's not WHQL certified or a coding issue. Apps like Netflix and Hulu won't play, and Netflix points to the protected audio mode hotfix, which doesn't see anything wrong, and even if I manually deleted the disable protected mode registry key and force a restart of the audio module, it doesn't work (unlike last WHQL drivers)

Vardion
01-31-2013, 05:50 PM
I finally installed this driver (after de-installing the old one and rebooting): no firmware upgrade, card is still at 1014.

Cageymaru
01-31-2013, 10:15 PM
I don't believe you can flash your Phoebus with these drivers if you own an Asus motherboard in Win 8 64. And you can't use Win 8 64's built in music player as it will just give you an error. Thus these drivers aren't really compatible with Win 8 64. I wish i could get to the headphone amp without installing the drivers. If you use the default windows drivers everything works great except that you can't use any of the features you paid $200 for. If i could get the headphone amp to work without installing the drivers I probably would be happy just with that.

chilinmichael
02-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Yeah the last beta came out what, November...now February. I think it's time they did a little update and got things going...we did pay $200 for this card!

Cageymaru
02-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Since I can't get the firmware to install, what am I missing out on? What does the new firmware do that the old firmware doesn't? Win 8 64.

chilinmichael
02-05-2013, 11:18 PM
There have been no definite answers, so unless Asus chimes in here, we'll never know (I'm in the same boat you are). I understand they have plenty of products to work on, but they need to focus a little more, ROG users demand proper working drivers and more frequent updates. We pay, therefore we should receive.

Sakz
02-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Yeah ...we did pay $200 for this card!

As u said "WE DID PAY"...that's the point... "we did pay" ... amen

dan.ivan
02-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Can anyone tell us when will receive the new drivers?

doze
02-13-2013, 03:58 AM
Yes. New drivers would be nice. Especially proper ones for windows 8 that allow protected mode, and 5.1 channel ;)

AVtemp
02-13-2013, 07:33 AM
I owned Creative Audigy4 for 3 years. And when i desided to buy Phoebus,i thought it would be much better. But i was wrong. I `ve got only bunch of problems with this audio. And i had no problems with Audigy4 for years.
Even for discontinued product Audigy4, Creative has Win7\Win8 drivers.
Audigy4 cost me 45$.
I`ve got Phoebus for 200$.
What is wrong with ASUS?
How Creative manage to write driver and ASUS can`t do the same?
And why do i have to use both of my audio cards right now?
How does this thing even passed quality test?

And nobody tells us what ASUS do right now to fix it.
ASUS,Can you release TODO LIST of driver?
What bugs has been fixed already?
I don`t mind to wait,but at least i want to know what am i waiting for?

Sakz
02-13-2013, 01:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIIuR-HjFho

That's the answer all of us is having by Dev Team.... :p

AVtemp
02-13-2013, 01:54 PM
Yupp,guess Phoebus will be next internet meme.

Kenion
02-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Looks like the driver for the Phoebus is still in beta :(

davidm71
02-13-2013, 10:18 PM
I have read that when it comes to buying tech from asian companies they do what ever they want as far as supporting certain products especially if there is some problem with it. I have never seen such a long wait for whql drivers or seen betas passed around as the finished driver like this before for any product. I suggest someone start up an online petition or blog or even file a complaint to get their attention as this kind of support is ridiculous!

dan.ivan
02-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Its a shame that Asus producing such a high class product with no support. They've earned their place in the market with good quality products and it seams that they don't care anymore . If there isn't time to write good quality drivers for this product, at least could someone write us about the plan concerning them? I think communication is always a veritable weapon. So, for those who still have trust in your company, can someone advised tell us something about the plan concerning this product WHQL drivers? Thank you!

KILLER_K
02-14-2013, 01:34 PM
It is a shame as it seems so many issues with this "suppose to be flagship sound card". Even Creative had enough respect to put a call back on their problem batch of "Z" series sound cards. You would honestly think Asus would do it also. Seems this project from Asus was put on the back burner as it has too many problems. Not to mention that most end users find out it isn't much better then build on audio or their $50 dollar sound card. That is probably the most hurting problem for Asus there. This card turned out to be pure marketing hype. Then once it came out and asus got the money it turned it abandonware.

Why will Asus not give any information on drivers up coming support and issues that will be resolved? As soon as you mention something everyone goes and hides. I'm not going to sugar coat this on their forum either. Again Asus should give a public apology, a refund and strip the "ROG" off this crap they call a sound card.

x7007
02-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Does it happen to you when you restart the computer or logging off and back on the Xonar Phoebus window pop automatically which is a good thing, and it shows this -- look attachment.

If i close the window and reopen it the ASIO button dissapear.

Now another thing is that when i try to click Enable SoundRadar doesn't work, it just stays off without light circle/enabled icon.
GX button works thought u can see in the 2nd screenshot 222.jpg

chilinmichael
02-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Support is crappy with any company, thus why we should make a group such as "True Gamers Consortium" or something of the like, where a company must agree to release updated drivers say every 3 months for 3 years in a legal agreement, and in return get the stamp of approval and free promotion. Just like natural foods are sometimes GMP certified. We have to do something to force companies to support products they put out, especially $200 ones.

x7007
02-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Ye, the so called "support" is release and forget system.

While the QA is really just a system testers to see that the card doesn't burn computers or some other things.

QA is really a Quality as it says on the shortcut, if you can't supply "Quality" as what it stands for, don't ever release it. if it kills don't make it, if you know that it kills and still it gets released, then at least say so.

chilinmichael
02-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Even better, I did a fresh install of 7 x64 because I had issues with 8 regarding partition changes and 8's inability to recover as good as 7, anywho, installed the new Beta driver 3.08 and guess what? No firmware upgrade on this either! Nice programming Asus!

AVtemp
02-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Here what i`ve got with Phoebus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGw-Fn8ejEA

chilinmichael
02-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Oh that's awesome. Maybe you should turn your head to face the right channel while playing? ROFL

AVtemp
02-18-2013, 04:37 PM
AHAHA,I use HEADPHONES :D
Every time after game is started, i need to change sample rate in Phoebus driver to get that bug fixed!
And found that workaround by myself.

Glasofruix
02-18-2013, 08:46 PM
I got some strange behavior in GW 2 as well, every time i started the game the sound channels were all mixed up (if it screws your stereo, imagine what it does with 5.1 :D ) the only workaround was to switch to stereo then back to 5.1 and then ingame to change the sound device to default. It appears to have been fixed in the latest (old) beta and the new frimware.

InternetOwl
02-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Well on my ASUS M5A99X EVO I had the Phoebus set in the bottom 4x slot on the mobo (graphic card makes the two 1x slots unuseable) and could not update the firmware to 1015. After moving it to the second 16x slot and trying it properly update the firmware after which I move the card back to the original slot and installed the beta 3.8 drivers. So on certian mobos it would seem that the PCI-e slot and it being routed through a southbridge or not does interfer with the update process. Wonder if thats due to the new PCI-e native C-Media chip ASUS used?

Cageymaru
02-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Don't know. Would be nice to be able to flash our sound cards to the proper firmware in the future though. Musical chairs didn't work for me unfortunately.

upsnef
03-01-2013, 08:12 PM
same thing here

Maximus V Extreme, not able to upgrade the firmware in slot 16x 3 and 4 (red slot) and bottom 4x slot

move it to the first 16x slot and work

vlado
03-15-2013, 08:32 AM
I have the similar problem, the beta drivers installed without frimware upgrade. Then I disable on board audio, realtek one, uninstall the drivers,m reboot. Uninstall the beta drivers for phoebus /i have to kill the phoebus exe in task manager in order uninstall to be able to complete/, reboot.
Then I started the installation again and everything goes smoothly, prompted for new frimware, install, reboot, install the drivers and everything is fine now.

You can try this steps, nothing to loose. Good luck.

chilinmichael
03-15-2013, 04:24 PM
I will try this as well soon, but the question remains, what does the firmware update do?

dsp
03-15-2013, 06:27 PM
i only got the firmware update when i dropped it in another pc

new firmware/drivers and still the same problems
where are the NON BETA drivers asus !! and some software thats actualy working !!!

lol just started an mp3 and a loud TAK!!!! (dunno how to descrive it :D) and my channels are mixed again

GREAT !!!!!

vlado
03-16-2013, 06:22 AM
The only difference that i notice until now /except DTS implementation/ is that the card remembers headphone settings. It does not remember them without frimware update. After every reboot before, i have to set high gain.

CSF@ROG
03-16-2013, 08:28 AM
The only difference that i notice until now /except DTS implementation/ is that the card remembers headphone settings. It does not remember them without frimware update. After every reboot before, i have to set high gain.
I think that basically comes with the BETA driver or at least it doesn't work without it. The combination of a firmware upgraded card and the WHQL driver (Win8) doesn't fix the forgetfulness.

Raja@ASUS
03-16-2013, 09:39 AM
HQ told me new beta is being worked on. WHQL will be later on - obviously the drivers need to be "straight" before going WHQL. Have no more info for you (no firm ETA yet, so please don't PM me expecting a firm date right now). As soon as I do I will post it, as always.

AVtemp
03-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Hi, Raja@Asus!
I`ve send email to "Xonar@asus.com" with problem that i have (and not only me) in Battlefield3.
My thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?30478-Battlefield-3-Phoebus-HUGE-SOUND-BUG&country=&status=
But there is no auto respond email from them.
Is there some problems?

Raja@ASUS
03-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Auto response is not setup AFAIK (I will ask about it again). But I do ask them to keep an eye on that inbox - especially for this next driver.

-Raja

AVtemp
03-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Ok, thank you!
I`m glad we have at least some news about new driver.
I hope those problems will be fixed.

dan.ivan
03-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Thank you Raja for watching our posts; could you please tell us an approximate date/month release for new driver? (I'm little bit tired to search for new release everyday),

Raja@ASUS
03-18-2013, 11:11 AM
When i have the driver I will post it just like the last time. Don't want to make guesses and give approximations, sorry.

appsmarsterx
03-18-2013, 01:52 PM
probably lying as always .. lol ..

Raja@ASUS
03-18-2013, 01:55 PM
probably lying as always .. lol ..

It's post like that, that keep me from posting guesses in the first place. Not here to be abused or called a liar. Thanks.

If you want to continue making it into a personal attack, then expect a vacation/ban.

-Raja

appsmarsterx
03-18-2013, 02:10 PM
nah you guys are so cool . I'm really thrilled to work as a beta tester for you .. Its been a wonderful few weeks so far as a beta tester .. who doesn't want to pay $200 and work for ASUS.. great payout too..

Raja@ASUS
03-18-2013, 02:46 PM
nah you guys are so cool . I'm really thrilled to work as a beta tester for you .. Its been a wonderful few weeks so far as a beta tester .. who doesn't want to pay $200 and work for ASUS.. great payout too..

That is a far cry from calling me a liar. Don't sidestep that and call it otherwise. You have been warned, consider this one a final. No matter how frustrated you are, calling me a liar is a personal attack.

davidm71
03-18-2013, 03:31 PM
The guy is more of a puppet than a liar. I mean its not his fault HQ is feeding him BS though I can honestly say from knowing his posts online he really is trying to help and doing his job. Unfortunately HQ is full of it. We all know that. Ten months from the initial WHQL release is certainly a sign they have no intention of releasing a new one. If they could have they would have. Not Rajas fault at all.

Raja@ASUS
03-18-2013, 04:01 PM
WHQL on Win 8 requires each product works with MS's UAA drivers. If users are reporting problems with a driver, it means there need to be a fix before WHQL. As I said earlier, the next build is in the works. I or anyone else in the chain has no need to lie about a driver coming out. I am nobodies puppet either thanks David.

-Raja

chilinmichael
03-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Very true, Asus is to blame here...unfortunately the masses just want to complain and not do a damn thing about it. I offered to get negative publicity on our side and shine light on the situation of ill driver support from Asus with their top-line products. I asked for 5 people at minimum to report in short-form in a topic I created what their issue was, and not one did. So you know what? The way I see it, nobody cares for new drivers...they just want to complain. Me? Mine works fine, so I really don't care either way. I was ready to do all the leg work, and not one person cared. So keep on complaining everyone, it's all you'll ever do!

Raja@ASUS
03-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Actually, the bug report forms HQ told me they got back at times were few and far between. I had one guy check while I was online with him and there was 1 email in the box. Not sure what happened there, but I do sometimes wonder if people even report their issues back.

While you may feel the list is too long, there's a whole host of things HQ needs to replicate a problem.

Anyway, I'll post back here when I have more news.

davidm71
03-18-2013, 04:45 PM
WHQL on Win 8 requires each product works with MS's UAA drivers. If users are reporting problems with a driver, it means there need to be a fix before WHQL. As I said earlier, the next build is in the works. I or anyone else in the chain has no need to lie about a driver coming out. I am nobodies puppet either thanks David.

-Raja

Then prove me wrong by answering this question. Do you think it's fair to the consumer leaving them in beta status for this long? A simple Yes or No will do.

Also if there were very few bug reports and the beta driver works just fine why don't they WHQL the beta? Windows 8 as an answer I'm not buying sorry.

Raja@ASUS
03-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Then prove me wrong by answering this question. Do you think it's fair to the consumer leaving them in beta status for this long? A simple Yes or No will do.

Also if there were very few bug reports and the beta driver works just fine why don't they WHQL the beta? Windows 8 as an answer I'm not buying sorry.

Last I checked I was not in court and you to my knowledge are not a barrister. But okay, I'll bite.

1) No.

2) Because I kept telling them guys on the forum said the drivers had bugs. And looking at this place, I don't think I was wrong in passing that info along - do you?

-Raja

davidm71
03-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Last I checked I was not in court and you to my knowledge are not a barrister. But okay, I'll bite.

1) No.

2) Because I kept telling them guys on the forum said the drivers had bugs. And looking at this place, I don't think I was wrong in passing that info along - do you?

-Raja

Case closed your honor.

Raja@ASUS
03-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Yes it is, as I said earlier, development time is simply long. Of course, you are free to believe what you will.

AVtemp
03-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Actually, the bug report forms HQ told me they got back at times were few and far between. I had one guy check while I was online with him and there was 1 email in the box. Not sure what happened there, but I do sometimes wonder if people even report their issues back.

While you may feel the list is too long, there's a whole host of things HQ needs to replicate a problem.

Anyway, I'll post back here when I have more news.

Hi!
Raja@Asus, can you create some sort of Bugreport thread, to stay it on top of this forum?
I personally email like 4 mails to Xonar@asus.com.
I`ve got autoreply on first of them in january (like a minute after i send it).
As for others, i `ve got nothing.
There may be a situation, when email from others customers vent to spam filter, or was deleted.
New Bugreport thread will give us a chance to duplicate our emails here.
Also there will be no need to send like 100+ emails with the same bug, as all of them will be collected in one thread.

Raja@ASUS
03-18-2013, 05:52 PM
HQ would like to handle it via their inbox, which is why they set it up. You can always start a thread here if you wish, but I'm not sure how well that will work unless you can keep it orderly.

AVtemp
03-18-2013, 05:56 PM
But how can i be sure that they got my mail, if there is no any autoreply from them?
It makes no sence to send email in void.

Raja@ASUS
03-18-2013, 06:03 PM
They told me auto reply should be setup again.

AVtemp
03-18-2013, 06:05 PM
ok,thank you.

chilinmichael
03-18-2013, 06:29 PM
I will fill out the lengthy bug report form tonight for the inability for firmware update. Count me as one. I'll repost here whether or not I get a reply email.

Raja@ASUS
03-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Okay, let me know please.

chilinmichael
03-19-2013, 01:37 AM
Sent in my bug report for the firmware update not working. Got this reply:

Dear Sender,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Xonar.Your email has been recieved by our development team.

We apologize for any inconvenience which you might encounter at the moment.

Best Regards,
ASUS Xonar team

--Autoreply does now work. Thank you Raja.

Myk SilentShadow
03-19-2013, 01:47 AM
I emailed in, when my Phoebus didn't update the firmware, followed the exact instructions 3 or 4 times...I got an auto-reply, so hopefully they got my email lol.

Raja@ASUS
03-19-2013, 07:50 AM
At least you guys sent something in. Thanks :)

-Raja

Tassy
03-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Be glad you can even update yours. Soon as I try to upgrade my drivers, it crashes the PC, an corrupts the Soundcard so I have to do a system restore.POS Card, between the inability to use SLI on my $1700 GTX 680s (Asus) an Phoebus hastles I will not be buying any more :(. Gonna have to go back to 7970's or equiv next year so I can at least get Crossfire going on multiple screens.

dan.ivan
03-19-2013, 11:09 AM
I confirm that I have received an replay for my email. I have forwarded my email many times till now but only first time I had received automated replay. Hopefully we will receive a new driver soon!
Thanks Raja for the effort.

AVtemp
03-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Sent my bug list to Asus and got autoreply,but still i post it here:

================================================== =======
= GAMES =
Game settings: headphones 2.0,actually no matters.
Phoebus settings:Hi-Fi profile(44.1KHz or 48KHz at 24bit or other,no matter).
All Virtualisation - Xear,Dolby,Gx,DTS is OFF.

1.Battlefield3 Premium multiplayer:

EVERYTIME i start this game or change game server

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie0Th8npIJQ&feature=youtu.be

Again and again and again if i change game servers.

2.Battlefield2 Bad Company multiplayer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGw-Fn8ejEA

Footsteps\gunshot that you heard in my video from left channel was an echo of footsteps\gunshot.

I had no any problems with
1.Build in sound Realtek
2.Audigy4
3.Emu 0404 USB
in this game with the same PC

WORKAROUND:

A) *After game is started, press ALT+TAB and choose Phoebus driver window.
*Change Sample rate back and force.Manual profile in Phoebus UI window will be picked automatically.
*Press ALT+TAB again to go back to game.
Now everything sounds like it should.
As i do that no problems till next time i start this game.

B) I dont have this problem if i kill Phoebus_x64.exe(Exit Phoebus UI) in Windows Task Manager and then check "Disable all effects" in windows sound panel, before start those games.

C) I dont have this problem if i pick HI-FI profile in Phoebus UI and then check "Enable DTS Ultra PC2" and Check off all checkboxes inside it(Enhancement, Surround Sensations, Symmetry, Bass enhancement, Audio restoration is OFF).Before or after i start those games.

= Mix =

1.Volume control in Phoebus UI and tray is locked.(page 24, items 9 and 10 in manual).
It was that way since the begining,and reinstallation of beta driver changes nothing.
Still i can change volume by remote control box or directly by windows volume slider.
But this actions is not visualised by Phoebus UI.

2.Remote control is not affect speakers volume, it works only with headphones.
When i unplug headphones from remote box,sound goes to my speakers and now i can`t change volume by remote box anymore.
Yeah,i think that it`s bug.

3.No EQ in Phoebus UI.
What if i want to correct EQ with DTS or XEAR enabled?
Usually EQ is the last sound filter before sound goes to user (what if i want to fine tune my headphones).

4.No Sound Volume Normalizer in WIn7, only if you use DTS or Dolby.

5.Xear Surround Headphone (Multichannel effects -> stereo).
But no information about Xear Surround Max (no explanation in manual).What is it for?

6.Xear Surround Headphone, there is no adjustments exept 3 room sizes?
7.1 Virtual speaker had at least few sliders.
Also we can`t change virtual system from 7.1 to 5.1 or another.
In Xear mode sample rate is locked to 48KHz\16Bits only.

7.Toslink mini adapter is very cheap plastic,can be broken by optic cord easelly.

8."Disable all effects" checkbox in Window sound settings can be activated only if you exit Phoebus UI.

= ASIO =

1. I play guitar and use VST plugins to change sound in realtime,thats why i need ASIO.
I know how to change ASIO buffer.

Guitar Rig 5 by Native Instruments ASIO config Panel:

Device:ASUS Xonar Phoebus ASIO device(x64)
Buffer size (in milliseconds):2
Sample rate:192000
Latency: 576 Samples
Input>6.0 ms Processing>3.0ms Output>0.0ms Overall>9.0ms

VS

Device:ASIO E-MU 0404
Sample rate:192000
Latency: 384 Samples
Input>3.2ms Processing>2.0ms Output>4.2ms Overall>9.4ms

Compare Latency in samples and Overall latency in milliseconds!
It looks like ASUS 2ms buffer size is not equally to E-mu 2ms buffer.
Phoebus latency is twice bigger than Creative E-Mu.

Guitar Rig 5 by Native Instruments ASIO config Panel:

Device:ASUS Xonar Phoebus ASIO device(x64)
Sample rate:48000
Latency: 160 Samples
Input>6.7 ms Processing>3.3ms Output>0.0ms Overall>10.0ms

VS

Device:Creative ASIO (Creative Audigy4)
Sample rate:48000
Latency: 96 Samples
Input>4.1ms Processing>2.0ms Output>4.2ms Overall>6.1ms

Audigy 4 is twice better!!!

Here is ASUS advertisement:

"Sample Rate and Resolution ASIO 2.2 Driver Support :
44.1K/48K/88.2K/96K/176.4K/192KHz @ 16bit/24bit with very low latency"

E-mu and Creative Audigy4 uses ASIO 2.0 and ASUS Phoebus uses ASIO 2.2, then why Phoebus is worst?

2. Not realtime audio input monitor (Mic,Line-in,Aux,etc) from speakers, headphones (almost 1 second delay).
I choose to listen to "line in" in windows sound menu (non ASIO or VST or any sound program used) the latency is sooo big.
My old Creative card was a way better,it has almost no latency.

3. Problems with ASIO in programms(few of them):

*Presonus Studio One (http://studioone.presonus.com/demo-request/)
No matter what settings i use in Studio one with Phoebus ASIO(latency,buffer size,etc),programm is not working.
When i press PLAY or RECORD button,nothing happens.Vertical Line, which represents position cursor,is not moving.
With Creative and EMU cards it works fine.

*Overloud TH2
No input sound at all,If one of Active input channels: (1) or (2) is off.
If i leave both ON,i hear output sound from one channel only.

With Creative i can pick just one of 2 input channels and hear stereo output.

4. No way to hear ASIO and system sounds simultaneously.
It means if you listen to music with Foobar or other player in ASIO mode(like every audiophile do),you will not be able to hear any other system sound\program sound\youtube\skype in the same time.
Yes,ASIO locks driver in exclusive mode.
But Creative found a solution->global sound mixer.
It mixes all PC sound streams in buffer in realtime and then play them to user.
You also may record from that buffer.
And there is no any notaceble latency in this mode.
It calls "What you hear" mode,and every Creative card has it in XP,Vista,Win7 or Win8!
Yes,Creative ZxR has it too.

= Phoebus driver UI =

1.I believe UI was translated to Russian via google translate.
This is just terrible, it will take a lot of time to point at all mistakes.

2.ROG picture link leads to Asus site? Why not ROG site?

3.UI itself-big window with waste of space,weird buttons placement.

4.Different font styles on different pages/buttons(just compare Xear Sing FX and DTS pages).

5.Gray text color on buttons, why not white color?
With gray it looks like those buttons are disabled/locked (DTS,Information pages and more).

6.DTS UltraPC2 page:
I dont use "About" button, you may place that info in Driver Information page.
Game Mode, Music Mode, Movie Mode settings is totally useless.

7.There is too much mouse clicks to get to settings, why not to use tabs?

= Profile system =

1.User is not able to change profile order or delete default Phoebus UI profiles.

2.Phoebus UI Movie and Music profiles uses Environment effects (why?) instead Dolby as others.

3.When you create new Phoebus UI profile, there are "Profile Name" and "Profile Description" fields.
"Profile Name" will never be shown to user,than why to ask to fill it?
"Profile Description" is shown only if you point at profile.

4.No pics for custom Phoebus UI profile (folder pic is not informative).

5.Phoebus UI Profile doesn`t store sample rate settings.

6.There is a scenario when Phoebus UI and Dolby shows different profiles picked in the same time.
Two separate UI(Phoebus and Dolby) is not good.
Ask Dolby to provide their SDK to incorporate two UI in one.
Dolby is a standalone program, it sends no messages to Phoebus UI.

7.If you create new Dolby profile, it will not be shown in Phoebus UI profile panel.

8.If you pick profile in Dolby, it will not be shown in Phoebus UI profile panel.

9.By closing Dolby, Phoebus UI profile goes to HI-FI mode.

And there is more,but i`m tired to do your work.

AVtemp
03-19-2013, 04:56 PM
And more about profile creation:
Instead of manually pick it every time by user,it will be better to do it automatically by rules for applications,as Nvidia did in their driver.
I dont want to use Xear with music,why do i have to change profiles like 10 times per day for every single application?
I want to add rules for applications for some list and Phoebus UI can change it by itself automatically.

appsmarsterx
03-20-2013, 04:21 AM
already submitted bug reports 4 times.. not doing it anymore since I decided to sell my Phoebus for whatever price... good luck with your beta program.. wish u all good luck !

AVtemp
03-20-2013, 08:02 AM
And autoreply was disabled again

Raja@ASUS
03-20-2013, 08:18 AM
Reported. Could be down to server problems.

Raja@ASUS
03-21-2013, 05:21 AM
Hmm, there was no issue on our side in a loop back email response - autoreply responded fine. Could be some weird server glitch.

AVtemp
03-21-2013, 08:00 AM
To Raja@ASUS (send it to Xonar team,or answer by yourself )

There was a problem, and it`s still there.
I sent email day before,and right now.
I tried Gmail and Rambler services.
No reply.
(I`ve sent one email 03-19-2013, and got autoreply instantly)
Is this some sort of GAME?
It`s not fun.
And It would be better is there was a ticket system like EA have:
You have a problem? Contact them and your problem gets a ticket number.
Problem solved-ticket closed. And customer always can monitor situation.
Right now, Xonar department can easy delete incoming bug emails.
No emails=no problems, nothing to fix=PROFIT.
Every BUG is a headache to programmer, and he`ll do anything to escape it.
I know how system works.
If Phoebus software was made as students progect, he would get "C-" for it.
But this is a commercial product! And at this level, customer sue software developer company.
We dont want to hear exuses from ASUS,we want to get good software\service.
If your programmer can`t do it,then get another one!
Phoebus price=Hardware+software+service+Asus profit.
Asus got its profit.
And I`ve got only hardware?

Raja@ASUS
03-21-2013, 09:08 AM
This is no game. See my response above yours. :)

If you want support tickets, then you need to use ASUS Support. That has support tickets. Xonar inbox is direct to Xonar team, they are not service dept, so you won't get "support tickets".

In your case that would be ASUS Ukraine that you need to contact and raise a case for a support ticket.

AVtemp
03-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Does Phoebus driver and UI was developed by Ukrainian team?
It`s not,than why contact someone, who knows nothing?
If it`s soft would developed in Ukraine or in Russia it would be 100% tested and worked.
They even not see UI translation before or after release.
And i know what i am talking about.
Look,i was not contacted by Xonar team to provide any detail about bugs.
They need step-by-step instructions to reproduce it.
And if they think they found the reason,they make patch and test it.
If it works,then it may be included in driver.
I guess Xonar just dont know nothing in software development process at all.

And the only person,who tried to help,was user"WTC".
In this thread,i`ve done your beta-testers work,and he analized what is gone wrong:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?30478-Battlefield-3-Phoebus-HUGE-SOUND-BUG/page2

Ha-ha,now i know,why this driver wasn`t whql.
It will never pass Microsoft standarts,because non of them was applied in ASUS development process.

And again,Xonar team doing "something",and even fixing "something",but nobody sees any results of their lazy work.
How much time do you need to fix bug - a week,but not a couple month.
Xonar decided to rewrite a whole driver from scratch?
Show this to any programmer and he will confirm my words.

Yeah,go,go,go,Asus!!!

Raja@ASUS
03-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Each region has a support network, if you need or want a ticket that is the way to do it. The support departments will never be the programmers, and the programmers will never be support. That's how it works in every company.

-Raja

AVtemp
03-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Ok,for was purpose Rog site was created?

Raja@ASUS
03-21-2013, 11:47 AM
ROG forums was started by North America for NA region. Then went to global. Ukraine has not joined yet and there are no Ukraine reps on the forum at all. :) That's why Ukraine support needs to be contacted directly for Ukraine customer RMAs and support.

The drivers will be released when ready. In the meantime, if you want to send in or post bug reports that is fine. Alternatively you may go through your local support department who are equipped to issue support tickets for support.

AVtemp
03-21-2013, 11:53 AM
That is the reason why i am here.
I`m not trying to insult you in any manner.
I`m just asking questions.
There is no any feedback from your Xonar team.
And you are the only "bridge" between us (customers) and them.
Besides,many peoples,who tried local support get no help at all.
My questions is not just "How-to".
And you may read my list of bugs
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?30289-Beta-and-Stable-BUGS-ALL-PLEASE-POST!&country=&status=
and then deside, am i right or not.

Raja@ASUS
03-21-2013, 11:57 AM
I can't help you any further than I have already - sorry (I have done all I can from my side and when I have the driver I will post it). You need to contact local support for anything on top of this. You have two options: either use the Xonar inbox or local support (or both). :)

-Raja

AVtemp
03-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Please, force Xonar to read this forum, they will learn some lessons.

chilinmichael
03-25-2013, 12:57 PM
7.0.1.29 is now available on Asus' support website.

davidm71
03-25-2013, 01:07 PM
But what no change log??!

dan.ivan
03-25-2013, 01:56 PM
If it works, I think nothing else matters. Thanks Raja for your support!

yogibuh
03-25-2013, 02:25 PM
7.0.1.29 is now available on Asus' support website.

on german`s asus support website i only find the driver from previous year. :-(

dan.ivan
03-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Yogibuh you must search for the driver on support.asus.com; You'll find it there

ZL0I
03-25-2013, 03:29 PM
I understand this to 7.0.1.29 windose 7 ?

ZL0I
03-25-2013, 03:38 PM
I want to write a comment on the Russian translation, in the product information are reversed translation firmware versioning: 1015, with the ILP versioning: 3.0.0.2: Прохладно:

Glasofruix
03-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Changelog? Also, who's brave enought to test it out? :D

ZL0I
03-25-2013, 03:46 PM
No time to write both the Saite appeared 8.0.1.29 (http://ru.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/ROG_Xonar_Phoebus/#download) for windows 8: D

AVtemp
03-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS :
"According to HQ, the firmware update process in the previous beta is a bug (albeit a bizarre one) - so no matter if your card "updates" or not."

They lied to you RAJA.
They really think that we are so stupid?
How firmware update can be a BUG?
Firmware update is an extreme risky operation,it can`t be made accidently.
RAJA also posted this with previous driver release:

"Phoebus Phase II - Initial beta driver.
This driver will upgrade the soundcard firmware to version 1015. The driver installer will prompt you for system shutdown - please allow the system to shutdown. Then re-BOOT and recommence installation to complete installation of the driver.
Numerous changes in this build, including:
2) Firmware update to 1015 - follow prompts and allow system to shutdown when firmware update is made please. Recommence driver installation after you reBOOT!"

I have the answer why there was no any changelog for NEW driver-there where only two changes:
1.Phoebus UI and Dolby UI profile synchronization was fixed.
2.Phoebus UI volume is no more locked.

They feel shame to post that in changelog.

And that is all!!!!
It took them a few days to fix that.And what about all that time you had since previous release?

All other bugs is still there.

And even more!!!
THEY DESTROYED DTS Surround Enhancement and Bass Enhancement sliders.
Now When you change those settings,sound mutes for second with every slider move.
So now its hard to feel the difference between positions.

Raja@ASUS
03-25-2013, 06:18 PM
The firmware update does nothing as far as I am aware. Of course you are free to believe what you choose. :)

I suggest you take up your issues with your local support.

Thanks
Raja

AVtemp
03-25-2013, 06:24 PM
HOW THAT CAN BE?
Phoebus driver was made by monkeys?
You literally say that it was made by non-professionals.
Am i right?

Raja@ASUS
03-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Like I said, what you believe is up to you AV Temp. As you are located in Ukraine, please take up your issues with your local support. I will not respond to your negative posts any longer .

AVtemp
03-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Oh,I`m very, very, very, sorry!!!
Please don`t go!!!
I hope you`re not crying right now.
Are there adults at ASUS ?

Raja@ASUS
03-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Please don`t go!!!

Take a break for a few days and come back when you have calmed down. The staff is not here to be abused. Thank you.

Glasofruix
03-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Please don`t go!!!

Может ты немного успокоишся, а? Естли честно, ты уже всех задолбал, и не токлько из за твоего детсадовского английского...

TempAV
03-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Hi Asus!
I want to thank you for ban (or even delete?) AVtemp profile!
Also i want to thank you for placing his IP at your forum Black List.
Many people (almost a whole city) share the same static IP, don`t know why my provider did so, but this is reality.
Now they can`t register on ROG forum anymore! Everyone got "blah-blah... spammer are not allowed" message.
I`m just a regular Asus user, I`m not a spammer.

Thank you very much for that.

And all that without any warnings, because of one post?
What about that situation?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25810-New-Beta-Phoebus-3.08%28CR%29/page13

You may ban one user, but to ban a whole city?
I`ve sent a message to ROG admin, but got no respond.

The reason why i registered on ROG forum is because i have problems with Phoebus, as other people do.
Asus officially sells Phoebus in my country.
But there is no any ASUS Ukraine forum. And there is no help from local support.

None of my problems was solved with latest 2013 driver.
And all that "firmware update is a bug" got me angry even more.
I was frustrated, and that is the reason of what I`ve posted above.

To Glasofruix:
I know my English is bad,but your Russian sucks too,you made 3 mistakes in that sentence.

This is your forum, you may do what you want, but please, don't violate Freedom of speech.
I trusted ASUS when i bought Phoebus.I sent reports to Xonar with bugs to make it better.
And you just banned me.

davidm71
04-01-2013, 02:27 AM
This dialogue is too funny. At least AVTemps English is better than the instructions in the driver install message dialogue to restart the pc later or your computer will blow up! I mean these drivers make Aliens Colonial Marines a masterpiece in comparison! Laughing my arse off!

Raja@ASUS
04-01-2013, 08:01 AM
Hi Asus!
I want to thank you for ban (or even delete?) AVtemp profile!
Also i want to thank you for placing his IP at your forum Black List.
Many people (almost a whole city) share the same static IP, don`t know why my provider did so, but this is reality.
Now they can`t register on ROG forum anymore! Everyone got "blah-blah... spammer are not allowed" message.
I`m just a regular Asus user, I`m not a spammer.

Thank you very much for that.

And all that without any warnings, because of one post?
What about that situation?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25810-New-Beta-Phoebus-3.08(CR)/page13

You may ban one user, but to ban a whole city?
I`ve sent a message to ROG admin, but got no respond.

The reason why i registered on ROG forum is because i have problems with Phoebus, as other people do.
Asus officially sells Phoebus in my country.
But there is no any ASUS Ukraine forum. And there is no help from local support.

None of my problems was solved with latest 2013 driver.
And all that "firmware update is a bug" got me angry even more.
I was frustrated, and that is the reason of what I`ve posted above.

To Glasofruix:
I know my English is bad,but your Russian sucks too,you made 3 mistakes in that sentence.

This is your forum, you may do what you want, but please, don't violate Freedom of speech.
I trusted ASUS when i bought Phoebus.I sent reports to Xonar with bugs to make it better.
And you just banned me.

You had a three day ban with no IP restrictions. Any more insult hurling or fabrication of what really happened will get you out of here permanently. Consider this a warning. No abuse or child like remarks levelled at staff or members will be tolerated.

Your av temp account became active again after 72 hours elapsed. Don't try and join when under restriction. Thank you.