PDA

View Full Version : Minor Flaw in Construction

Enterfrize
11-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Hi Guys!

I know this may sound a bit nuts (maybe it is), but I just wanted to know if others have it.

I noticed that in front of my space bar on my G75VW-DS73, there is a bump in the metal and the seam is imperfect. It's as though there is a wire underneath that is preventing the casing from sitting the way it should. It's really not a big deal, but I was wondering if others are getting the same thing?

Regards,
Enterfrize

chrsplmr
11-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Can you post a pic ?

btw. How does it 'run' ?

Welcome to ROG.c.

finalhour
11-27-2012, 10:59 PM
sounds like you've got a dud, post a photo

Enterfrize
11-28-2012, 12:02 AM

Look at the metal in front of the space bar. I'm just concerned because the touchpad hasn't been behaving the way I expect - I have doubts.

What do you think?

Regards,
Enterfrize

Pitcher@asus
11-28-2012, 01:52 AM
HI, is it influence your function? if you have concern, please send to ASUS RC to check is it in DOA Spec.

john_from_ohio
11-28-2012, 01:59 AM
My G75VW does not look like that ... yours looks a little unusual ...

Zygomorphic
11-28-2012, 02:02 AM
My G75VW does not look like that ... yours looks a little unusual ...

Good to know. MY G53SX doesn't have the metal construction, but the plastic body doesn't have a bulge either.

Enterfrize
11-28-2012, 03:11 AM
HI, is it influence your function? if you have concern, please send to ASUS RC to check is it in DOA Spec.

I'm honestly not sure if it's impacting the function. The available diagnostic tools tell me nothing is wrong with the touchpad (e.g. the consistent pressure meter, and mood pad behave the way they should), but I find the accuracy varies from game to game. I just don't know.

I'll email the thread to the tech I've been in touch with. Maybe there is more to this than I realized.

Regards,
Enterfrize

madnj
11-28-2012, 05:11 AM
Looks like you have a dent/crease in the aluminum panel, but I highly doubt it's impairing functionality. That said, I don't really think you'll have the greatest of experiences trying to game on a touchpad, especially one of the size that's on the G75. I much prefer a traditional mouse for gaming. My G75 touchpad has been decent and FAR better than that on my old G73 which was very hyperactive, but I still don't find it nearly as precise as the touchpad I used on a previous Lenovo laptop. That Lenovo was a piece of crap though, so the touchpad was one of the few high points.

I'd say the picture doesn't indicate any functional issues, but I'd recommend a mouse for gaming anyway just for enhanced overall precision.

Enterfrize
11-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Let me give you an example of a symptom. I'm playing BlackOps 2, and suddenly I can't look around without really tapping away on the touchpad to wake it up. Or I'm on the desktop, everything is ok, but suddenly my finger glides but the cursor stays still. Is this par for the course, or is it unusual?

Regards,
Enterfrize

Enterfrize
11-30-2012, 01:11 AM
This touchpad thing has been driving me crazy, and I think I made a helpful discovery.

I decided to keep the MoodPad on, and played some games in Windowed mode, as well as working on the desktop. What happens is that when there is a mouse cursor freeze, or when things aren't responsive, the activity on the moodpad is equally dead - almost. Instead of seeing activity where I'm supposed to see it, there is some movement on the far left hand side of the moodpad square. It's as though it's recognizing that there is activity, but it's not seeing it in the right place.

I've started the RMA process. I hope it's something that is easily fixed.

Regards,
Enterfrize

AverageK
12-01-2012, 03:48 AM
Hey Enterfrize, I think you have Asus Smart Detector on! You should turn it off when you're playing games, otherwise the touchpad stops responding when you hit a key on the keyboard and won't start responding again until you hit one of the buttons underneath the touchpad or tap the corner of the touchpad. It's supposed to prevent accidental swipes while typing, but I find it quite annoying! To adjust or disable it, right click on your touchpad icon, and select the option. Hope that helps!

Enterfrize
12-01-2012, 04:15 AM
Hi AverageK,

I've tried that too - believe me! The other night, I thought I solved it by clearing out the MSCONFIG start-up files, but it was a short lived victory. For a time, the touchpad will work well, and then it just stalls and takes vigorous action to awaken again (it will recognize vertical but not horizontal movements). It's very frustrating!

Regards,
Enterfrize

Zygomorphic
12-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Hi AverageK,

I've tried that too - believe me! The other night, I thought I solved it by clearing out the MSCONFIG start-up files, but it was a short lived victory. For a time, the touchpad will work well, and then it just stalls and takes vigorous action to awaken again (it will recognize vertical but not horizontal movements). It's very frustrating!

Regards,
Enterfrize

If you have tried turning off the "disable touchpad while typing" options in Windows (Control Panel->Mouse) and in the ASUS drivers, it sounds like you have a bad grounding on the touch-sensitive panel. There is a tiny little metal cable that connects the touchpanel to the chassis of the notebook, providing the ground. If that gets damaged, the touchpad can die.

Enterfrize
12-01-2012, 03:47 PM
If you have tried turning off the "disable touchpad while typing" options in Windows (Control Panel->Mouse) and in the ASUS drivers, it sounds like you have a bad grounding on the touch-sensitive panel. There is a tiny little metal cable that connects the touchpanel to the chassis of the notebook, providing the ground. If that gets damaged, the touchpad can die.

This explanation makes a lot o sense to me because the problem is intermittent, and not a predictable activity (though it happens regularly).

Another discovery. It's a lit keyboard, but the spacebar light only works on the far left hand side. Every other key is lit on both sides. I doubt every key has its own LED light, but maybe this is an indication of something being poorly seated on top of the trackpad? Or...maybe all the G75VW keyboards are like that - I have nothing to compare to.

Regards,
Enterfrize

dstrakele
12-01-2012, 05:05 PM
It's a lit keyboard, but the spacebar light only works on the far left hand side.

It's normal. The spacebar is lit only on the far left side because that is where the icon (that little running man) on the key exists. There is nothing to illuminate on the right side.