PDA

View Full Version : I just got a G75 for my birthday. What should I do to make sure everything is okay?

sc27
11-28-2012, 04:31 AM
My dad just got a G75VW-RS72 for me today from Tiger Direct. I've read a lot of horror stories about issues with it. I know that most have no issues but I'm still a tad bit concerned. What should I do to make sure everything is working fine without voiding my warranty? I haven't opened it as of yet, but I will tomorrow. Thanks in advance,

madnj
11-28-2012, 04:58 AM
First of all congratulations and happy birthday, I think you got yourself a great system. As far as horror stories, you'll hear them for any computer that has ever been made. Is it perfect? Maybe not... I have the issue (as I believe almost anyone with a G75 does) where I have the faint horizontal lines on my laptop screen at some very specific dark colors displayed on the screen), but I personally can live with that one as I don't think it's a hardware issue as much as a Nvidia driver issue perhaps which is seen on these specific panels.

As for opening it, why? Unless adding RAM or HDD, you really shouldn't need to. That said, adding RAM and HDD is a breeze and you can always open the bottom up if you need to clean the fans or do anything like that (although that's something you probably would need every 6 months or so at most).

I personally think the most important thing when getting a new system is having a clean OS install which can be done either via the factory install by removing any unnecessary bloatware, or by doing a fresh OS install either to a seperate hard drive (which is probably the cleanest option) or to the same drive either reformatting or just reinstalling (in which case be sure you have your Windows 7 product key for the reinstall).

That said, I personally have never had a better system desktop or laptop than the G75 I am using. I've installed a fresh copy of Windows 8 and have literally everything I need for work/play working 100% perfectly, and I have my system running 24/7 with not so much as a bluescreen or crash since I got things stable/updated after the initial install.

This system really is quite a capable machine that can run pretty much any game I've thrown at it at very very respectable framerates and with high to max detail settings without any slowness or choppiness of any kind.

I'd say if you put the system through its paces and it runs fine, you got a good one and will likely have months to years of happy trouble-free use. The G75's cooling is some of the best in the business, and the GPU runs extremely cool meaning that if you don't have any problems from the initial manufacturing, you'll likely not have any caused by overheating of the CPU/GPU.

I can't speak for ASUS support as I generally tend to find I know more than most support I've ever dealt with and try to avoid them like the plague, I think if you are reasonably technically savvy you'll be very happy with the G75. I know if I got one as a birthday present, I'd be overjoyed. Congratulations.

SUKARA@ASUS
11-28-2012, 06:27 AM
I think you do not need to worry about this, relax to use of the G75 notebook and get happy experience

rewben
11-28-2012, 11:37 AM
it's nice having a birthday gift like that :), and happy birthday. to make sure that you can be the happy owner of this special gift:

first, read this post (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17461-First-things-to-do-after-buying-G55-G75-based-notebooks).

after that, check the following, so that if weird things happen you can return it for exchange before the return window is over:

1. perform stress tests - it sounds serious but it actually means playing some high end games for a few hours and when you decide to stop, check the temperatures for CPU and GPU. for GPU, depending on your room temperature, a GPU should be around 70 to 75 degree Celsius after serious gaming; it will be around 38 to 45 when idle
2. check display panel for dead pixels;
3. check speakers and headphone jack - yes, listen to some music with the built-in speakers and also headsets;
4. check wifi/lan/BT connections;
5. check usb ports, or whatever ports that you will use;
6. check your battery and power adapter.

finally, if you had the time, just drop by sometimes :)

Zygomorphic
11-29-2012, 02:50 AM
My dad just got a G75VW-RS72 for me today from Tiger Direct. I've read a lot of horror stories about issues with it. I know that most have no issues but I'm still a tad bit concerned. What should I do to make sure everything is working fine without voiding my warranty? I haven't opened it as of yet, but I will tomorrow. Thanks in advance,

First things first, update Windows and drivers. Then, install a game or two (run one of the CPU/GPU benchmarks) and log the temps. Post the results and we will be able to tell you whether or not you have issues.
Rule of thumb:
>85 C = Bad
<75 C = OK
<65 C = Good
<55 C = Very Good

The lower you get, the harder it is to go further down, hence the last 2 numbers are close together.

Oh, and BTW, happy birthday! :) Don't take this forum as an indication of lack of quality (see my sig) because this forum is used to help people debug their hardware, which gives a lopsided view of the quality of the computers. Very few people with perfectly functional systems come here (I am an exception :D). Consider it like going to a mechanic who specializes in Toyotas/Hondas and drawing the conclusion that Toyotas/Hondas are unreliable automobiles because you see a bunch of them there.