PDA

View Full Version : G55 Keyboard Issue - After A While Keys Do Random Functions...

Almost Tactful
11-28-2012, 04:33 AM
So this is extremely hard to explain but I'll try...

After my lappy has been on for a while my keys will start doing different things, for example the ESC key acts like an alt+tab, the ENTER key on the NUMPAD acts like an alt+enter if I'm in a game. My number keys stop responding when playing Rift so my 1-6 hotbar keys can only be used if I click on them with a mouse etc...so this is really random but does anyone have an idea? To fix it I just log out and back on and it returns to normal every single time. Since I'm on an SSD it's not that big of a deal as a log off/on takes only seconds but it's still annoying lol.

Thanks in advance!

madnj
11-28-2012, 04:42 AM
I have the same issue on my G75 and it's related to the touchpad in some way. For some reason when hitting the touchpad with my palms at times it will cause that issue where typing will go into acting as if CTRL is stuck or something.

I've found bringing up the on-screen keyboard and hitting a couple keys there will tend to clear up the issue, but I've had this happen with both this G75 and my previous G73. The G73 was even more stubborn in that even the on-screen keyboard would see the ctrl key as being stuck down.

Honestly I think this is due in some part to the synaptics drivers or something similar as I've had this issue across 2 different generations with similar touchpads. If not due to Synaptics drivers, it may have something to do with how the ATK package works.

As I said though, I've been able to clear this up in the past by bringing up the on-screen keyboard from the metro start menu and then clicking a few keys with the mouse.

Frustrating sure, but I can say I've pretty much narrowed this down to typing while palming the touchpad accidentally. If you toggle the touchpad off, I doubt you'll have the issue at all if using an external mouse.

Hope this helps.

EDIT to clarify - You mentioned hitting Esc bring up the start menu which is also done if you hit CTRL-ESC so I think your issue is that the system goes into the state I mentioned where it thinks CTRL is stuck down and when you hit keys it bring up the CTRL-key hotkey for that. Try hitting CTRL-Esc, you'll see the menu come up :).

SUKARA@ASUS
11-28-2012, 06:36 AM
1: Wrong letter or no letter while typing
1.1: Press FN+INS buttons for a try.
1.1.1: Problem solved. --> Accidentally turned on the number pad.
1.1.2: Problem persists. --> Check whether problem can be solved by deleting the virus.
1.1.2.1: Problem solved. --> Virus issue.
1.1.2.2: Problem persists. --> Reinstall the OS for a try.
1.1.2.2.1: Problem solved. --> Operation System problem.
1.1.2.2.2: Problem Persists --> Contact ASUS service center for help.

2: Hot key malfunction.
2.1: Reinstall the ATK drivers/utilities
2.1.1: Problem solved. --> Drivers issue.
2.1.2: Problem persists. --> 1.1.2.2

pROGammer
11-28-2012, 05:09 PM
I've had this issue on Windows 8 once or twice. A reboot fixes it.

Almost Tactful
11-29-2012, 01:57 AM
I have the same issue on my G75 and it's related to the touchpad in some way. For some reason when hitting the touchpad with my palms at times it will cause that issue where typing will go into acting as if CTRL is stuck or something.

I've found bringing up the on-screen keyboard and hitting a couple keys there will tend to clear up the issue, but I've had this happen with both this G75 and my previous G73. The G73 was even more stubborn in that even the on-screen keyboard would see the ctrl key as being stuck down.

Honestly I think this is due in some part to the synaptics drivers or something similar as I've had this issue across 2 different generations with similar touchpads. If not due to Synaptics drivers, it may have something to do with how the ATK package works.

As I said though, I've been able to clear this up in the past by bringing up the on-screen keyboard from the metro start menu and then clicking a few keys with the mouse.

Frustrating sure, but I can say I've pretty much narrowed this down to typing while palming the touchpad accidentally. If you toggle the touchpad off, I doubt you'll have the issue at all if using an external mouse.

Hope this helps.

EDIT to clarify - You mentioned hitting Esc bring up the start menu which is also done if you hit CTRL-ESC so I think your issue is that the system goes into the state I mentioned where it thinks CTRL is stuck down and when you hit keys it bring up the CTRL-key hotkey for that. Try hitting CTRL-Esc, you'll see the menu come up :).

How does one bring up this on screen keyboard you speak of? lol