PDA

View Full Version : Will Asus EVER update their official display drivers again? G74 already forgotten?

Thorn2011
11-29-2012, 01:50 AM
I am getting frustrated here and I know I am not alone, the last official display driver update from Asus for my Asus G74SX was back in March? Nvidia is up to 306.97 atm and I am stuck using drivers that arn't optimized for any of my current games?!! Each release Nvidia try to optmize performance for this game or another, so I have to sit and suffer simply because Asus doesn't consider driver updates or customer service a priority?

What is the point in releasing ROG laptops designed at gaming if they can't even keep up with Display Driver updates.... I can understand being one or two behind as they have to be tested but this many?

If I install the 306 drivers from Nvidia I am worried I am going to get TOE (time out errors) like I did when I once tried to install Nvidia's 301 drivers, i.e the display stops responding, screen go's black and I am forced to hard-reset!

Pick up your game Asus, I have always been a fan of your products and have always bought them, but I won't be getting another ROG laptop if your driver updates are non-existant!

Pitcher@asus
11-29-2012, 02:03 AM
HI, could you tell me are you meet a big problem, ASUS is stability for the demands, both of ASUS RD and Vander to discuss special change for ASUS product than release, ofcouse you are able to install vander release driver, but we are not guarantee.

Zygomorphic
11-29-2012, 02:27 AM
Just run the latest reference drivers. They work fine for me. @Thorn2011, vendor certification is a big ordeal. Sure, for gamers it isn't as much as for CAD, but it is a lot of investment on the vendor's part, because they are saying that problems with their drivers indicate potential for problems with the hardware. Every time nVidia changes the drivers, there is a potential for new bugs to be introduced.

Thorn2011
11-29-2012, 05:38 AM
Just run the latest reference drivers. They work fine for me. @Thorn2011, vendor certification is a big ordeal. Sure, for gamers it isn't as much as for CAD, but it is a lot of investment on the vendor's part, because they are saying that problems with their drivers indicate potential for problems with the hardware. Every time nVidia changes the drivers, there is a potential for new bugs to be introduced.

Which is why I stated that I understand if they are one or two Nvidia revisions behind but we are talking about many months, it isn't about having stability issues, we know the Asus certified drivers are just fine, its about missing out on potential performance gains alotted by newer Nvidia reference drivers and optimizations. I have mates that use Alienware and Toshiba gaming laptops and they claim they have regular display driver updates provided by their Vendor.

You can't tell me it takes Asus 10 months to test the next Nvidia reference driver? I think its more about priorities... I would love to use the latest reference driver from Nvidia but I am nervous given the 301 drivers kept on giving me DTE's (Display Timeout Errors) resulting in a screen that turns off and a hard-reboot!

Thorn2011
11-29-2012, 05:44 AM
HI, could you tell me are you meet a big problem, ASUS is stability for the demands, both of ASUS RD and Vander to discuss special change for ASUS product than release, ofcouse you are able to install vander release driver, but we are not guarantee.

No that is not what I am getting at, there are NO major problems with the current release its just not up-to-date with what Nvidia are offering for my pacific Video Card - GTX560M, for all I know I could be losing 20FPS in some of the latest games just because I am using a very outdated driver! I will try the latest reference driver making sure I reboot into safemode and see how I go, but the last reference driver I tried gave me nothing but problems with stability. You are right you can't guarantee stability with the latest drivers so it is more of a chance that something might go wrong with my laptop.

Shawnnepc
11-29-2012, 05:49 AM
I am getting frustrated here and I know I am not alone, the last official display driver update from Asus for my Asus G74SX was back in March? Nvidia is up to 306.97 atm and I am stuck using drivers that arn't optimized for any of my current games?!! Each release Nvidia try to optmize performance for this game or another, so I have to sit and suffer simply because Asus doesn't consider driver updates or customer service a priority?

What is the point in releasing ROG laptops designed at gaming if they can't even keep up with Display Driver updates.... I can understand being one or two behind as they have to be tested but this many?

If I install the 306 drivers from Nvidia I am worried I am going to get TOE (time out errors) like I did when I once tried to install Nvidia's 301 drivers, i.e the display stops responding, screen go's black and I am forced to hard-reset!

Pick up your game Asus, I have always been a fan of your products and have always bought them, but I won't be getting another ROG laptop if your driver updates are non-existant!

That's why NVIDIA came up with the Verde driver program.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook_drivers.html

I don't expect that we'll see anything but the original shipped drivers available on the vendors sites in the future.

There's no benefit of using the ASUS video drivers over NVIDIA provided.

Vendor provided video drivers is more or less a legacy carry over from pre-Verde and pre AMD/ATI

Zygomorphic
11-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Which is why I stated that I understand if they are one or two Nvidia revisions behind but we are talking about many months, it isn't about having stability issues, we know the Asus certified drivers are just fine, its about missing out on potential performance gains alotted by newer Nvidia reference drivers and optimizations. I have mates that use Alienware and Toshiba gaming laptops and they claim they have regular display driver updates provided by their Vendor.

You can't tell me it takes Asus 10 months to test the next Nvidia reference driver? I think its more about priorities... I would love to use the latest reference driver from Nvidia but I am nervous given the 301 drivers kept on giving me DTE's (Display Timeout Errors) resulting in a screen that turns off and a hard-reboot!

They are on 310.XX. Partly, priorities, yes, but also partly the cost of certification. I wonder whether or not your friends' computers can run the latest reference drivers.

Symho
11-29-2012, 08:21 PM

Please, why you don't support yours products? For a gaming station it's very important the upadate of the video drivers!

DaemonXR
12-04-2012, 11:24 AM
You can happiliy install latest beta R310 drivers from nVidia.
I can report mayor increase in performance over all DX games. My G74SX is running Skyrim at maximum settings (all maxed out :) but i mean all ) @1600x900 @ steady 30+ frames! Ok i dial AA down lil bit to have fluid 60 FPS!
Yeah, i dont have matte HD monitor on mine but what a heck :(