11-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Hello!

I bought myself an G75VW-T1392H last week. The specs are:
Intel Core i7, 3630QM 2.4 GHz
8 GB RAM
750 GB HDD
GeForce GTX 670M
Windows 8

I'm really happy with it so far, except for when playing World of Warcraft. I keep getting these black flickering spots in the terrain when I play. Sometimes buildings in the games get discolored aswell - most often they turn red. If I alt-tab a few times while playing it will often crash the nvidia drivers which freezes the game for a minute or two before they're restored again and I can play again.

Here's a screenshot of how the black patches/spots look:
http://i48.tinypic.com/1ghqno.jpg

There's normally a few flickering at the same time.

I'm also playing Diablo III, Starcraft II, Guild Wars 2, The Walking Dead and XCOM: Enemy Unknown on the computer without any problems at all so far.

So far I've tried reinstalling World of Warcraft and updating my drivers without any success. I've also experimented with lowering graphics settings. The only option that seems to make it go away is putting them at Low, which doesn't feel good all considering I'm running Guild Wars 2 and the other games mentioned at higher settings without any problems whatsoever. I'm also going to try changing to Dx9. Although I feel I'm a bit at a loss as to what to try next. I've been searching for clues about this problem but haven't really found any so far. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Skull6
11-29-2012, 07:39 PM
@Jima - As it's not happening in any game other than WoW, I'd assume the issue has something to do with the game. I had similar video issues wihile playing WoW on my Non-ASUS, self-built desktop (running WinXP) over a year ago, & was told to 1) update the video drivers (which I did, but it didn't correct the problem then either) or 2) decrease my video settings. In my case, decreasing the video settings did help some, but re-applything the thermal paste to the GPU, cleaning the inside of my computer & increasing the airflow (basically increasing the cooling efficiency of the overall system--especially the GPU)--combined with decreased video settings (especially while raiding) did the trick. I learned that I didn't need all that eye-candy while raiding on my desktop to still be able to play effectively. So I ended up changing my settings in the game while playing on my desktop--lower graphic settings while raiding (or otherwise PVP-ing) & raising them almost full-up while questing/ farming. (I also sometimes listen to the in-game music while doing farming/ questing, but much of the music in MoP tends to put me to sleep. ;) I definitely don't listen to the music while raiding)

Fast-forward over a year, & I still use the same basic setting changes on my G75VW-BBK5 (even though I don't raid/ pvp nears as much anymore).

& you don't have to change the entire video setting to LOW. You can start there, & then tweak the specific settings to get something you find more condusive to your playing. For example, I personally don't need to see the full "realistic" water effects while raiding, so I push that off. I keep shadows & other similar settings LOW or OFF as well, but I have been known to raise the near- & far- range view setting up a bit.

Bottom-line: I'd suggest you check to make sure that your fan filters are clean & otherwise make sure there's proper airflow through & around your laptop when you play. Then try tweaking the video settings to see if that doesn't help fix your issue. Hope this helps.

Jima
11-29-2012, 07:59 PM
... but if the problem's with heating, shouldn't games like Guild Wars 2, Starcraft II and Diablo III cause the same kind of problems?

Skull6
11-29-2012, 08:05 PM
That depends. "Ultra" video settings might mean different things in different games. & all I'm saying is that heat was part of my problem...might have nothing to do with yours. But it wouldn't hurt to check.

Hope this helps.

colpolite
11-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Might have something to do with SSAO since that thing is buggy and it don't really make the graphics look better but add some kind of dark pencil blur or shading. Turn off SSAO and see if that fixes it.

Jima
11-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Installed Speedfan. Heat is around 60 -65C during heavy load of WoW. Checked it during Diablo III and had about the same numbers. Highest I got was with Starcraft II: 69C and the perfomance in that game is great.

Tried running with 32bit and Dx9 - didn't help. Turned off SSAO - didn't help. Also experimented alot with settings. Part from no flickering during low alot of it doesn't seem to make sense. Sometimes the flickering seems to get worse when I lower certain settings :(

Skull6
11-29-2012, 10:57 PM
@Jima - I'm sorry, but I don't know what to tell you at this point. But from experience, I know what Blizz's tech support will say...

Something along the lines of "Try running the "check-it" (sry--can't remember it's actual name atm) executable in the WoW folder. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling & reinstalling the game--making sure to restart your computer after uninstallation."

Be prepared to "lather, rinse & repeat three times" also. Blizz's suggestions didn't work--in fact none of their suggestions ever have worked for me.

P.S. Me personally? I found Blizz's advice above to be about as helpful as a football-bat. & yes, I said football-bat. (& no, I don't mean cricket bat.) The meaning of "football-bat" applies regardless of which side of the Atlantic you play "football" on. ;)

Hope someone else can help you at this point. You didn't happen to update something else just prior to this issue starting, did you?

Jima
11-29-2012, 11:23 PM
I appreciate the help. Running out of ideas myself so any ideas are welcome. Blizzard haven't answered me yet, but yea, I figure they'll just give me the standard answers anyway.

Jima
11-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Noticed something odd about it. Played for about half an hour and then some flickering started. When that happened I turned multisampling up to x8 and that made it go away. Then after playing a while it comes back and then turning down multisampling makes it go away again... very strange.

geniusa100
02-05-2013, 06:53 AM
I had the same issue and took it to be looked at. The conclusion was that my computer's graphics card was simply getting too hot.

It's low-tech, but the issue is that the bottom fan is not able to breathe when the laptop is flat- and over time and under high stress from gaming, will overheat and begin to malfunction.

The solution is simple- place something under the back of your laptop to raise it up off the desk. Nothing extravagant, a pen will do- just enough to allow the air from below the laptop to escape.

geniusa100
02-05-2013, 06:40 PM
ADDENDUM- changing from DX11 to DX9 will also likely solve the issue