PDA

View Full Version : G55 usb annoyance

aephemerae
11-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Heya,

Just got my gorgeous new G55 yesterday and i've found a small nuissance that i just can't figure: when i purchased the laptop i also grabbed an usb 3.0 flask stick (corsair).

After setting up windows and such i noticed my file copy speeds from my older external 2.5in hdd (most likely an usb 2 one) is about 40MB/s while the speed on the stick is about 15 MB/s. And that gets me to my nuissance: what am i missing? I have installed the chipset driver (as far as i know that one has the usb controllers), i dont remember messing in the BIOS with any USB settings.

Ideas anyone?

PS. would the fact that the corsair is used to store the windows iso affect in anyway? (i used an MS application to write the iso to the usb and make it bootable).

Thanks in advance.

dstrakele
11-30-2012, 02:57 PM
If I was in your situation, I would confirm the transfer speed of the flash drive on another computer.

aephemerae
11-30-2012, 03:03 PM
cheers, worth doing that indeed.

I'll try it out soon as i get a chance.

Pandur
11-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Depending on size and model you won't see higher write speeds than that, even to a usb 3 flash drive. Especially if you're moving smaller files. For instance the 16GB Corsair GT usb 3 flash drive I have is only rated at 21MB/s max write speed. It's only able to break usb 2 speed while reading.

aephemerae
11-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Spot on Pandur!

Dont know why i was under the impression i was supposed to see much higher speeds there (likely because of the external drive's speeds - didnt really think the mechanical drive would be faster than the flash).

It seems indeed the stick i have (a voyager) is rated at 12MB/s write which matches the performance i see.

Thanks for helping me clear that out!