PDA

View Full Version : general questions concerning the G55VW...

Eric_G55V
12-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I have a few general questions concerning the G55VW notebook computer that I recently purchased last August of 2012.

I'm fairly certain most of these issues have already been addressed on this site, so can someone kindly provide me with the relevant links to these general issues:

1. Upgrading the memory on the Asus G55VW notebook.
2. Opening the case for cleaning with a can of compressed air.
3. Is overclocking the GTX 660M generally recommended?

Concerning the memory upgrade, should I have an authorized ASUS repair center do this for me or is it easy enough to do at home? And opening the case for cleaning is easy enough with the larger 17" G75 notebooks, but I read somewhere that the G55's are a bit more difficult to strip down for cleaning. Is this so? And what's all the fuss on the message boards about overclocking the GPU on an ASUS notebook? Wouldn't the extra heat build-up caused by overclocking the GPU shorten the lifespan of the computer over time? Besides, I'm getting great performance with older games like Far Cry 2 and Bioshock, to mention a few. Additionally, newer games like BattleField 3 perform decently especially after having done a BIOS flash and removing quite a bit of pre-installed ASUS bloatware along the way.

In conclusion, I'm happy to report that I'm very well pleased with the performance and functionality of my new ASUS notebook and if anyone can help with answering any of my questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Eric

Zygomorphic
12-03-2012, 01:13 AM
#1 - do it yourself. It shouldn't be that hard.
#2 - good luck, you shouldn't need to do it for a while, though.
#3 - Can be done, use MSI Afterburner or something like that. It will increase temps (fan noise), but if you are careful, it's pretty much perfectly safe. Rule of thumb: best optimizer is between your ears...:cool:

rewben
12-03-2012, 01:56 AM
1. you can refer to here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23929-Adding-RAM-to-G75&p=168646&viewfull=1#post168646) for RAM upgrade. yes, it's a simple process. as long as you do the upgrade in the user serviceable area, you're fine doing it yourself.

2. the fans are in the non user serviceable area. to reach that area means the warranty will be void. it's better if you asked for help from the ASUS service center if you need it. i have my g55 since June this year, and there is no sign of issues yet.

3. overclocking is a user preference. g-series has a good cooling, and many are confident that it can be done safely, if they're careful enough (notably g75; although some g55 users are doing that too) . i prefer my g55 to run at stock settings. i believe that a laptop is not designed for such purpose.

Eric_G55V
12-03-2012, 02:23 AM
Thanks Zygomorphic and Rewben for the info.

Zygo-- I'll try the MSI Afterburner utility but isn't that piece of software just for MSI laptops? Maybe it works on all types of pc's including desktops--I'll look into it. Also, have you heard of the new beta release from ASUS called OC Knockout? I kind of want to give that a try.

Rewben-- That's too bad about the fans being in a hard to reach area of the laptop. Would it be a good idea to just blow air directly into the vents from the outside? It might help to break up any clinging particles of dust that way, and hopefully it would get blown out the other vent, or something.....I don't know. Maybe that's a bad idea. I'm just being extra cautious about dust build-up inside my computer after having to replace my desktop pc with this Asus notebook. One final note, how did you manage to upgrade your G55 to 24 gigs? Isn't it capped at 16 gigs maximum? Maybe the model number of my G55 is different than yours. I thought there was only one flavor of G55.

Thanks again for your help, guys.

-Eric

Pitcher@asus
12-03-2012, 02:24 AM
1. you just open cover, than you are able to do yourself.
2. i suggest you are not open by yourself, if you open it, maybe have not warranty anymore.
3. G-serious NB is High performance NB, so the cooling will be good, if not good the temp are too high.

rewben
12-03-2012, 06:05 AM
Thanks Zygomorphic and Rewben for the info.

Rewben-- That's too bad about the fans being in a hard to reach area of the laptop. Would it be a good idea to just blow air directly into the vents from the outside? It might help to break up any clinging particles of dust that way, and hopefully it would get blown out the other vent, or something.....I don't know. Maybe that's a bad idea. I'm just being extra cautious about dust build-up inside my computer after having to replace my desktop pc with this Asus notebook. One final note, how did you manage to upgrade your G55 to 24 gigs? Isn't it capped at 16 gigs maximum? Maybe the model number of my G55 is different than yours. I thought there was only one flavor of G55.

yes, indeed :/ i was planning to do some clean-ups every few months, too; then i realized that i couldn't do that without voiding the warranty. i think it's better to send it to a local ASUS service center for that.

i haven't tried that way, because i think compressed air might spoil the components of fans (e.g. when it blows too hard, the fans might spin way beyond the allowed rpm's).

officially, it's 16gb max. i think that's ASUS's guarantee by taking the best RAM performance, and perhaps battery power, into accounts (the best 16gb combo that i know to work is 4x4gb corsair vengeance 9-9-9-24). unofficially, this beast can take up to 32gb, but without such guarantees. with the helps of members in the forum, we have found out a number of brands that let us do that. you can refer to this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23929-Adding-RAM-to-G75) for more information (it's basically the same for a g55).

Zygomorphic
12-03-2012, 11:17 AM
They certify 16 GB, but a lot of people have upgraded to 24 GB or even 32 GB (and voided warranties to do the latter sometimes). @fostert had 32 GB in his G74SX back when the guys @ASUS thought it was impossible! :cool:

MSI Afterburner is not locked to MSI cards, it works on everything, though the VBIOS of the notebook prevents voltage changes, which means that there are limits to how far you can OC. Here is the ASUS GPU Tweak.
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?p=9&m=GPU+Tweak&hashedid=n%2fa
http://event.asus.com/vga/2012/gpu_tweak/