PDA

View Full Version : G74 - top panel glue failing

Milosovsky
12-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Hello there,

I have my G74 for one year now, really powerful (but weak battery) I like it.

However the glue under the power button panel started to fail months ago and I became annoyed so I remove the panel in order to reglue it completely after. Now look how it looks like;

Not pretty. I don't want to botch the next step so what would you suggest to clean it so it would fit perfectly when I will put it back again? Is there special kind of glue i should use? What are the silver ribbons (4) exactly?

Thank you for your help!

DaemonXR
12-04-2012, 12:53 AM
This is probably due high temperature of heatsink below that spot so i presume you game a lot, heh:)
I hope mine will hold for time being :P
These small silver pieces you mean? I think they are for grounding component reasons (i think :)!
What sort of top panel material is that, (mine G74SX is still infant :) two months old so i dont know exactly)?
You can try one small spot from lower side of top panel and use cotton swabs with diferent cleaners to try remove glue on that particular small spot just to check with what you are dealing.
I would try with acetone but very carefully coz it is aggressive to plastic, or some oil free thinners (nitro) but also a waay to agressive, so caution is very recomended.
I would also recomend to protect all parts of laptop arround that area with some adhesive tape (But bear in mind to use some weak one coz it will be hard to remove it when job is done). The best one IMO is tape for paint job (you know the one we all use when paint doors and windows and need to protect glass from paint strike) :P
About glueing back=> U can try ciano acril gel (but excersise caution coz this is just one try). This one is best coz u will be able to move it litle if u make smal mistake with alignment.
Another one would be some double sided adhesive tape (like one we use for fixing carpet to the floor :) but also check if this one can whitstand at least 50 Dg of celzius :)

I hope it help, i will do the same if that happen to me.
If somebody have better idea, be free

Cheers

Pitcher@asus
12-04-2012, 03:02 AM
i think you sould send to ASUS service center to check why your power button panel fails and also tell ASUS to help you put panel back,it is aesthetic, if you just want to clean it, maybe try the DaemonXR way.

Milosovsky
12-04-2012, 03:04 AM
Thank you for the tips!

This laptop serves me as my main gaming unit since I am expat in another country. I am a big gamer so yes that fellow works hard :)

Milosovsky
12-04-2012, 03:29 AM
Thank you for the tips!

This laptop serves me as my main gaming unit since I am expat in another country. I am a big gamer so yes that fellow works hard :)

DaemonXR
12-04-2012, 10:49 AM
I am glad to hear that this working horse is performing as it should.
I had issues with Asus A7TC (burned mobos) year or two ago and was dissapointed in Asus for that!
I am marine engineer and was forced to buy another gaming rig so i hope this one will not have issues with heat.
I am kinda pissed they didnt make acces hatch for cleaning fan/heatsink on G74SX. Now i need to think in near future for serviceing cleaning and i dont like others work on my machines coz they are slopy and few times they scratch surface on my A7TC (RIP) :(