PDA

View Full Version : CPU Unparking - How to unleash your currently 'limited' Ivy Bridge

mrwolf
12-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Ok so i have been always looking for ways to improve my little gaming monster to maximise performance and just get the most out of my 1500 :).

So far ive played ALOT of graphically intensive games. Most triple A games nowadays are very GPU intensive but one game that i thoroughly enjoy is Planetside 2 (best fps ever made IMO - $hitts all over Battlefield and COD) and in this game you are not playing toy soldiers with 64 people. You are actually part of a full scale 2000 people in one continent WAR ! So that uses serious amounts of GPU and is very very very very CPU intensive. So because of this i noticed when im in a large battle with over 800 people running around on my screen, my frame rate drops alot to like 25fps from 40-90 before ! BIG ass dropp ! so i used the ingame utility that shows me what is limiting the frames, the CPU or GPU. Turned out (what i expected in the first place) that my CPU was flashhing up when i got into these clustered situations... Now i must say Planetside 2 is highly under optimized right now and will get much better performance in the future, but for the time being it serves as a good stress test on the CPU.

Now to combat this, i initially used to Overclock my CPU to 105mhz giving it like 2 or 3 more GHZ. And this did improve my frame rate, However because of the falty fail safe and danger in doing that ALL the time i didnt OC the CPU that much. Needed an alternative.

Did a bit of searching and found out that actually laptops, no matter what processor you have are limited due to power saving settings in the bios. 3 of your 8 cores are pretty much permanently turned off.
Now alot of people disagree and say Oh windows 7 turns them on automatically when it is needed. But thats not true at all, the whole 5 months i have had this laptop, i have never ever seen those cores being used, i have done 1080p Video rendering, playing planetside 2, 3d Mark 11 CPU physics tests. And still always saw 3 cores not being used.

Anyways to cutt it short, here is how to enable all the cores on your system, just need to follow the steps on this link and should work fine and feel alot more snappy :)

Be warned tho that this WILL decrease battery life when unplugged and also it will use more power from your outlet. They say it reduced your life of your cpu but i highly doubt it. To me this is an essential mod but then again I urge you all to do a bit of reading and decide for yourself, dont just take my word on it.

Enjoy

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

jdotjdot7
12-03-2012, 08:05 PM
I don't know about you, but i'm idling right now with a CPU meter on, of the 8 logical processors, all 8 at least go up to 1% to 2%. I'll monitor it more but i don't see these 3 cores not being used. And in 100% honesty, there aren't 8 cores, there are 4 cores but they use a technology to simultaneously process multiple things

EDIT: In fact, i just loaded up a non-intensive game and saw all the cores go to 10-20%.

mrwolf
12-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Yes i understand that it seems to perform normally on your system and you are correct there are only 4 physical cores.

Have you tried checking weather your cores are parked or no ? Because on my G75 3 cores were parked. I could see indication that it was used sometimes but never at full capacity as it is now. I would upload some screenshots but im not on my Asus right now but you can check by going onto resource monitor through task manager - performance tab.

http://www.coderbag.com/Images/ArticleImages/resoure-manager-u.png

On mine, CPU 0, 1 and 2 had parked written next to it. It still seemed to work sometimes when gaming but now its always on, full power.

Also, you gotta consider the fact that i have done a clean windows 7 install when i got my SSD and it is a Windows 7 feature to automatically park and un-park cores of the CPU depending on weather its needed or not. Maybe be could have just been my G75 but either way its worth noting. Its a good feature to save energy tho if your not always making use of it.

jdotjdot7
12-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Ah, i see what you mean, however, it seems that when actually needed, they are turned on then, as in 3DMark11 you still get a processor score over 7k. When playing intensive games such as Battlefield 3 and DayZ I still see them being used, i will try your method and see if anything changes but I think my laptop is bottlenecked by the GPU not the CPU. The CPU is better than most desktop i7s, the 3610QM definitely is amazing. Unless you are rendering, then i guess it is more important.

mrwolf
12-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Yea i noticed that in 3D mark 11 performance benchmark i allways consistantly got a physics score of around 7500. After unparking cores i now always get socre of 7800.

Most games use the GPU more intensively but it all depends on the processes and techniques the game utilities. I noticed a very big difference in planetside 2 which mannyy people cant even play over 10 fps lol ! But the 3610QM does a great job nonetheless. I have gotten 10 fps boost from unparking hence why i made this thread..

Yea I let a friend of mine use my machine to render some 1080p projects and that was the first time i saw 14GB RAM being used in task manager ! lol

jdotjdot7
12-03-2012, 08:48 PM
A 10 FPS boost eh, i may look into this. Although I do use this laptop for notetaking in classes so i hope there is a switch haha

mrwolf
12-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Heres an interesting link, explains everything in much more detail has some hard proof results too :) that has been done on several processors including i7-3960K which is a monstter

http://bitsum.com/about_cpu_core_parking.php

Fire
12-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Excellent find man!! cheers! Rep given

Dreamonic
12-03-2012, 09:48 PM
I've done the registry fix for core parking and some other changes with the other keys listed (http://creativx.net/forums/customization/119252-reveal-hidden-power-options-4-laptops-ssd-win7-print.html)

I definitely notice a big improvement. This used to say 6.32 pts
http://i46.tinypic.com/168ijie.png

Here are some of my benches with the parking disabled + OC

3DMARK VANTAGE: (http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/4433298)
3DMARK11: (http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5115168)

HulkSmash
12-03-2012, 09:53 PM
How much improvement did you get exactly? About how many fps? And dude are you sure it doesn't shorten the lifetime? I mean, you're using it at max at all times....And if those parked cores at unparked when they are needed, what is the point of unlocking them, if they are already unlocked when necessary (when an application requests it)? Awesome find btw...just want to make sure I won't cause any harm to my lappy before I do it :P

Dreamonic
12-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Everything just feels 'quicker' to say the least. It's not exaggeration. I picked up 3-5fps on my system from it with BF3.

As far as shortening the life.... core parking is used for an energy saver standpoint afaik. Instead of having to reach a certain utilization %, to unpark a core, you can get the full performance right away as opposed to meeting a requirement min %.

Overall, just speeds things up a bit. I noticed the difference right away.

mrwolf
12-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Well, in terms of improvement, it all depends on how much the application you are using, uses your CPU. Your not gonna get an FPS boost in everything lol. In my case, planetside 2 got an increase of 10fps in certain situations with 500+ enemies, tanks, and aircrafts. Overall in ALL situations no big difference in fps figure, but smoother and more stable fps rates overall. Thats probably because there is no parking and unparking going on, the whole feature is disabled.

Basically the point in unlocking them is because windows automatically turns it on and off when it feels it is appropriate, and laptops in particular are more likely to keep cores parked in alot of situations where you would not want them to be parked. Also read the link i posted in my last post, explains the microchanges of parking and unparking that goes on in the background..

Ah about lifetime, i dunno to be honest, it is designed to run with all cores and is tested thoroughly before being installed so i think that its all good as long as your temps are fine. Also you dont need your cores unparked all day 365 days a year. You can change it within 2 minutes to suit your needs...

ggBanks
12-04-2012, 12:15 PM
I cannot see any core parking in Windows 8 :( Anyone has an idea why?

lilfoot95
12-13-2012, 05:14 AM
I followed this and got a lower CPU and overall Score on 3D Mark Vantage
Before Unparking: http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/4426293
After Unparking: http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/4450992
Maybe it's because I scanned my system for the specs on the after and not before... idk

c_man
12-13-2012, 11:52 AM
All 4 (8) cores work as they should, you only need the right app for this. I get to encode a CD in flac in a matter of seconds with 8 threads working.

Some +/- in performance is normal with every run of a benchmark. They are not that solid in terms of final numbers.

mrwolf
12-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Yea, c_man is correct. Ideally your laptop should unpark and park automatically depending on the app that requires it.

However parking and unparking occurs in microseconds and can cause very small drop in fps barely noticeable. Butt, the reason i do it, is because many games/apps do not cause your CPU to unpark when they should as it increases performance in certain games and apps. So i keep mine unparked all the time :) keeps things snappy.

wantedzai
12-13-2012, 05:38 PM
thanks mrwolf! Nice find...I do feel 3-6 fps boost xD

Spydyr
12-16-2012, 04:00 PM
thanks mrwolf. My G75 is not really used for gaming its used for 3d CAD/CAM. By doing this our software load A LOT faster and our Simulations ran about 25% faster. So I turned around and did it to my father's G74 and it works there too. He saw the same increase in software loading but not so much on the Simulations. That just could be the differences in the processors but who knows anyway thanks.

Spydyr
12-16-2012, 04:03 PM
double post sorry

mrwolf
12-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Ah your welcome :) good to see that it benefited all you guys. Its alot more important to do this for 3d CAD/CAM or 3d Video rendering and stuff.. Huge improvements.. With games there wont be a massive increase but some game that are CPU reliant will benefit..

Just goes to show Windows 7 Power-saving CPU management is a FAIL :p lol

HulkSmash
12-16-2012, 09:49 PM
+1 rep for you mrwolf, I felt the difference when I did it too...and as for the lifetime, I don't think it will be shortened by unparking the cores, because even though they are all unparked, they still run at the respective percentages needed, in other words because it is unparked, it doesn't mean it is being used at 100%...What wears it down should be usage after all, so I don't think it shortens lifetime at all...

ggBanks
12-17-2012, 06:24 AM
Windows 8 anyone ???

rewben
12-17-2012, 06:33 AM
ggBanks, w8 clean install, no power4gear:

ggBanks
12-17-2012, 06:53 AM
rewben thanx for the response, but I was referring to my previous post that I cannot see any cores parking or unparking. Unlike Win 7, Win 8 either doesn't have core parking or it just doesn't show it :(

I searched Google, but couldn't find anything about Win 8 and core parking that would specifically suggest it is possible in Win 8.

Edit: This picture was made on battery saving mode in Power 4 Gear.

rewben
12-17-2012, 08:07 AM
perhaps this (http://www.overclock.net/t/1337271/properly-disable-win8-core-parking) might help to clear up something. i have set up all my power plans have all processor rates (min and max) to be 100%; so i don't have the 'parked' tag.

ggBanks
12-17-2012, 01:11 PM
I don't think this is relevant because, mine never shows the parked tag. Either Microsoft removed the tag from showing, or they disabled core parking on Win 8.

I found this (http://www.diit.cz/clanek/core-parking-difference-in-windows-7-and-windows-8), but I can't understand! That guy can see the parked tags on his Win 8, but I never see parked tags.

rewben
12-17-2012, 04:11 PM
ggBanks, a very nice find! you're right! by applying the 'unparked' setting with the tool, cpu cores were actually 'parked' in w8!

w8 does show the tag :)

(this was when i applied the 'unparked' setting with codebag's tool)

ggBanks
12-17-2012, 05:40 PM
So in Win 8 the settings are reversed, yes? And there is no need to unpark them at the first place?

mrwolf
12-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Yea seems to be the case here, nice find lol. They probably changed the figures from 0 as unparked and 100 as parked..

So i guess this only needed for Windows 7.. I will update the OP to clear things up..