PDA

View Full Version : SSD and Windows 8 Upgrade problems

mrhobbeys
12-04-2012, 03:44 PM
I had much trouble using the cloning software I finally gave up and installed windows 8 onto my HD. Now I have a few strange issues the most important is that my original HD (1TB) is not visible from my windows 8 system.

I also get errors when I try to install different drivers:
Power 4 Gear - Thinks this is not an ASUS Laptop
Instant On - Not supported

(There are 2 others but they dont seem important)

I am most worried about the hard drive as I need the extra storage.

rewben
12-04-2012, 03:55 PM
hi mrhobbeys, install ATK package and you should be able to install the rest of ASUS's utilities.

edit: sorry i forgot that the stock HDD is a GPT disk. can you see the stock drive from disk management?

mrhobbeys
12-04-2012, 04:05 PM
I am able to access it after putting it in a external enclosure, but I want to have it in my laptop.

rewben
12-04-2012, 04:16 PM
ok nice; can you access all the data in the stock drive? if not, is it ok for you to wipe the whole disk?

Clintlgm
12-04-2012, 08:10 PM
You should be able to see it in Disk Management if so mark it inactive. You should also be able to accomplish this in an external case. otherwise copy all your data and format it. or use a program like Mini partition wizard to mark it inactive. That should allow Win 8 to see it.

mrhobbeys
12-05-2012, 12:26 AM
It seems in the confusion I deleted my data :(

Here is what I would like to do.
1. Leave the recovery partition.
2. Leave Win 7 and around 200 GB for it
3. Use the remaining space for storage.
4. Dual boot between win 8 and 7

I think I have figured out how to do 1-3, just not 4 and I don't know till I try if my drive will show as expected when I plug it back in... Yet.

rewben
12-05-2012, 05:04 AM
@mrhobbeys, sorry but i am not familiar with the dual boot thing for w7/w8. i think some friends here have a working setup but i'm not sure how they did that.

mrhobbeys
12-15-2012, 05:10 AM
I had a lot of trouble until I updated the SSD firmware. As far as dual booting I have not found a solution that works well... Windows 8 seems not to play nice with others.

xphantsx
12-15-2012, 05:49 AM
Windows 8 and an SSD is bad at least with a Samsung 840 Pro. Windows 8 is not ready for SSD's yet. My setup uses a Samsung 840 Pro and had half the write speed it was quoted to have while running Windows 8. I wiped it out used Win7 Ultimate again. My read and write speeds are in the ballpark of the quoted rates by doing this.
By the way "why clone a drive ever"? It is a bad practice.

rewben
12-15-2012, 06:29 AM
xphantsx, could it be the IRST driver? which version do you have for your w8?

Shawnnepc
12-15-2012, 07:24 AM

I think I have figured out how to do 1-3, just not 4 and I don't know till I try if my drive will show as expected when I plug it back in... Yet.

I had a lot of trouble until I updated the SSD firmware. As far as dual booting I have not found a solution that works well... Windows 8 seems not to play nice with others.

Windows 8 and an SSD is bad at least with a Samsung 840 Pro. Windows 8 is not ready for SSD's yet. My setup uses a Samsung 840 Pro and had half the write speed it was quoted to have while running Windows 8. I wiped it out used Win7 Ultimate again. My read and write speeds are in the ballpark of the quoted rates by doing this.
By the way "why clone a drive ever"? It is a bad practice.

You should't have a issue with the dual boot as long as the Win7 is installed to the other drive or partition. There should be a prompt at system load that asks which drive you would like to load. You can also check in Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Start up & Recovery Settings and look and see if the Windows 7 and Windows 8 are listed in the drop down. If it is make sure 'Time to list operating systems' box is checked and set to a reasonable period of time.

@Xphanatsx I've got 2 x Samsung 840 Pro's installed in my desktop on Windows 8 and am getting close to advertise speeds. Make sure to check for the latest firmware and to run the System tools included with CD that came with your SSD It actually installs some useful SSD testing, updating and auto configuration tools.

mrhobbeys
12-15-2012, 01:32 PM
My windows 8 also runs between 1/4 to 1/2 quoted speed, even when I went to a fresh install (which I did 3 times).

It is still much much faster than what I am used to seeing.

GottiBoi55
12-15-2012, 04:20 PM
http://www.sevenforums.com/images/warnsmall.png Warning
There have been many Windows 8 users complaining about various restart and shutdown issues when Fast Startup (aka: hybrid boot or hybrid Shutdown) is turned on. They report that their computers restart themselves as soon as the sign in screen appears, and some that their computer systems hang while rebooting or shutting down the system.

Windows 8 is designed to close and reopen by faster booting (Hybrid start), it has left your system in a hibernated state, with the drives mounted, open and ready to take off as soon as Windows 8 restarts. When a drive is mounted, a little piece of data is written to a standard place on the disk to show it is in use - it is called the "dirty bit".
This means that the "dirty bit" on the disks that Windows 7 checks on startup is showing on the disks. And then, chkdsk is automatically run to check the integrity of the disks with the "dirty bit" set. Please check the following settings.
1. Control Panel -> Power Plan
2. Select "Choose what the power button does" on left hand side.
3. Click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable".
4. Uncheck "Turn on fast startup" under shutdown settings.

If you experience any of the issues, then you might turn off "Fast Startup" to see if it was the cause.

If you dual boot Windows 8 with a previous version of Windows (ex: Windows 7, Vista, XP), then it is recommended to turn off Fast Startup to avoid the issues above.

rewben
12-15-2012, 04:33 PM
@GottiBoi55, that happens only if you do dual boot. it should be fine (just like hibernate) if you're running a single OS.

GottiBoi55
12-15-2012, 04:41 PM

@newben, he's wanting to dual boot with win7 and Win8!
see number 4

rewben
12-15-2012, 04:46 PM
ah ok; in that case you're absolutely right :)