PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Phoebus with the Razer Tiamat 7.1

Pathosis
12-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Hey guys, I just got these two items and have a few questions about some of the correct settings for them. I have the Razer 7.1 Tiamat headset hooked to my Asus Phoebus and when your in the settings program for the soundcard you can choose either speakers or headphones, but I noticed it says 7.1 next to the speaker and only 2 channel next to headphones. So my question is, do I use the headphone settings even though I have 7.1 surround headphones? Or do they count as speakers? I also noticed if you use the headphone setting they have a surround sound setting you can enable, does that do true 7.1 surround?? Or is that for regular headphones to simulate surround sound? Anyway guys, thanks in advance.

Dustin

Glasofruix
12-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Speakers

Virtual surround for regular stereo headphones

Pathosis
12-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks a lot, I figured that but for some reason when I ran it that way for an hour or so I ended up losing sound in my headphones and couldnt get it back for some reason. I also have some 2 channel speakers hooked to their correct port at the same time as my headset, I wonder if that messed it up.

Glasofruix
12-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Strange, i use a splitter to get sound from my roccat kave 5.1 and from my stereo speakers, it works fine. You sure you hooked up your cans to the regular speaker outputs? Because the headphone port works slightly differently.

Pathosis
12-05-2012, 09:53 PM
According to my Tiamat manual it said to hook up one of my wires from my headset to a headphone jack, which I did. That left the front speaker port open, so I plugged my stereo speakers into that, is that not correct? DO you use the headphone out port at all with Surrouns sound headsets?

WTC
12-06-2012, 03:15 PM
I don't have the Tiamat headset but judging from the info I gather from the web I believe you connected it wrong. You should connect the 4 output jacks from the headphone to the 4 speaker jacks of the sound card, and leave the headphone port on the card open. You should think of your Tiamat as a set of 7.1 speakers that shaped like a headset.
Also, you might want to turn FlexBass on to get better bass.

Glasofruix
12-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Yep, the tiamat should be hooked in the speakers ports otherwise you'll only get sound from the front left and right channels as the card switches to headphone output when something is plugged into the headphone port.

dinosors1
12-07-2012, 02:40 PM
I have the Razer Tiamant 7.1 and the Xonar Phoebus. and i have the issue that, when the Tiamant is plugged into the Phoebus i
cannot change the bass level, and the bass has dissapeard. But if i plug it into the motherboard jacks, then the bass works
and i can change it. I have the latest drivers, and everything is pluged into the correct jacks. Do anyone have the same problem? please help :)

Glasofruix
12-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Have you thought of actually uninstalling the onboard sound card and even deactivating it in the bios? It's like running two antiviruses at the same time, even my grandma knows that you should not do that.

dinosors1
12-07-2012, 07:05 PM
I tried to disable the onboard sound card and uninstalling the drivers, but that din't work. When I open the playbackdevice list and run the sound test then i'm able to hear the bass and ajust it. but if i play a song on iTunes or Youtube the bass disapears aigan. Do you understand what is happening?

dinosors1
12-07-2012, 08:06 PM
I fixed the problem :D thx for your help anyway

Glasofruix
12-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Flexbass i guess?

Frank N SteinPC
12-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Trolling this thread as I just purchased the Phobeus sound card as well and have my Tiamat 7.1 headphones plugged into it and getting crappy sound, terrible audio from mic etc.

New build and new OS, new drivers, everything is up to date and yet still having sound issues - almost want to go buy some $90 sound card that works, this thing has its issues with my build. One main thing is who thought a 2-3foot cable was enough to put on that module thingy? I mean seriously? Frank N Stein's Corsair 800D Full tower case is bigger than that cable is long. I can barely get it to the front top of the case, which sits next to 3x120mm fans, not good if its supposed to be killing ambient noise as those fans are amplified in that units mic, now I have to jack all other setting in other programs to max for people to hear me.

I too am having sound issues with my Tiamat 7.1 cans. I was using a HT OMEGA Claro Halo w/XT sound card, but being it was a PCI card and the Rampage Extreme IV I just installed did not come with a PCI slot, I had to get a different solution. With the HT OMEGA in Black Ops II I could hear footsteps eaisly, my own sounded like I was running with lead feet, others sounded like distant lead feet - with this card I am running like I have dead silence on. The guys voice in the game is so low I can barely hear it online - the guy that starts out and says stuff diring the game like "Leave no one alive" or "Poor execution" etc - that guy isnt really as pronounced any more, like faded into the background.

I can hear bass, I can hear just about all sound levels, but its like things are flat missing - not just muted. I am so far not a believer that this card is worth the $229 I paid for it. I will need to research more b4 this thing gets returned. Anyone with suggestions on how to tweak this thing to work would be appreciated.

ASUS - hey what about an extension cable for that module? I have stereo extension cables, but the controller plug is the pisser that is holding me back from getting enough length to get it past my case. There are set ups out there where the case isnt sitting on the desk next to the monitors where a 2-3ft cable would work, some of us have full tower massive gaming rigs with triple monitors, external cooling rack mounted solutions, etc that need some cord distance.

Glasofruix
12-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Have you uninstalled the previous card's drivers? Also, what are your settings on the phoebus (sample rate etc)?

Frank N SteinPC
12-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Here are my current settings:

http://imageshack.us/a/img827/6096/phobeua001.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img717/9361/phobeua002.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img689/5193/phobeus003.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img838/1956/phobeus004.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img541/4747/phobeus005.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img824/6690/phobeus006.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img35/5155/phobeus007z.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img14/3429/phobeus008.jpg

Glasofruix
12-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Uh yeah, several problems there:

192 khz => forget it, 99% of audio sources are either 44.1Khz or 48Khz, not to mention that BF3 (48Khz native) really hates oversampling (and with your settings it resamples your signal several times before outputting it). 48Khz + 24 bits highly recommended.

Bass level => too high, it's working better with the latest firmware/drivers, but still going higher than 5 breaks a lot of things (also according to THX specs the cut-off should be at 80Hz, matter of preference of course)

Dolby home theater => utterly useless with 7.1 (but sounds nice in stereo), causes a lot of ugly stuff (especially surround virtualizer and dialog enhancer), also makes things to sound quieter.

Now, how did you plug the headset into the card? I've heard that the manual says to plug the front left/right into the hadset port, it's WRONG, especially with this card as it does not transmit the signal from it when you're in speakers mode, so you'll be getting only side/rear/center/sub.

Frank N SteinPC
12-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Much appreciated with the suggestions - will change accordingly and report back. I did test the mic last night after upgrading to the newest drivers/firmware and was told the audio was crystal clear, like I was in an isolated acoustically correct sound room and all he heard was my voice - so things must have worked out simply by upgrading the drivers/firmware.

Changed card to 48Khz @ 24 bits
Bass was at 5, moved back to 4
Will not turn on Dolby then

My Front L/R is plugged into the cards "FRONT" jack, not the headphone jack on the units device.

Frank N SteinPC
12-13-2012, 03:53 PM
OK Sound is amazingly perfect at the moment - thanks for the suggested setting, they worked like a charm, especially in Black Ops II, the clarity was awesome. However now there are issues with the microphone. Ventrillo, Skype, and GotoMeeting all want to use the Desktop Microphone and when I force it to "Line in" where its plugged in, they cannot hear me. I use the "Desktop microphone" and they say it sounds like I am a distance away, like I am on a laptop using its mic. This is because its picking up from the unit that plugs into the sound card. The issue here is the cord is not long enough to bring it to my desk, it barely gets to the front top of my case.

Should I plug my mic for my headphones into the units mic port?

Glasofruix
12-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Well, the unit thingy should be plugged into the mic + headset + thingy ( :p ) ports on the sound card, now if your mic is plugged into line-in (it shouldn't be) the problems you're getting are normal as line-in doesn't get any amplification. You should plug your desktop mic (or tiamat's mic) directly into the card or into the unit, if you want to use the noise cancelling feature (it works great btw). Personnaly it sits on my desk and i use a 3.5 mm jack extension cable to get to my mic connector. Oh and i think it might solve your short cord problem, you'll need two 3.5 mm jack extension cables (probably three if you want it to sit on your desk, they're cheap anyway) and a 2.5 mm one.