PDA

View Full Version : Bios 213 killed by G73JH

magma7247
06-09-2011, 10:08 PM
:mad:HI,

I have an Asus G73 Jh
I was on bios 211.
downloaded the 213 official bios.
save it on C : partition , then I reboot and booted into bios, and I flash it from Bios.
everything went fine, then message saying within 2 second the laptop will shut down, after that, I tried to turn on the laptop but nothing happen, no lights no fan completely dead, so I did the steps below :

1. Cmos reset button on the base of the laptop……no luck
2. Taken out battery, adapter cord, pushed the power button for 45 sec. no luck
3- taken out ram, hdd……….No luck
No beep, no bios POSt, nothing on the screen.

I believe there is Bios adapter can flush the Bios offline OR, is there a way to force to be rested like removing battery or something, because I think the reset button resetting the settings inside the Bios not the Bios program.

any suggestions?

magma7247
06-12-2011, 07:51 AM
So no one has idea ? any thing ? :confused:

xeromist
06-13-2011, 10:35 PM
There are flashing tools that can flash a CMOS chip directly but they are normally something that only a repair facility would have. If you can RMA it, you should do so.

Chastity@ASUS
06-15-2011, 04:09 AM
History has taught us on the forums that flashing the BIOS from EZFlash, with the ROM file on a NTFS partition is an easy recipe for bricking your PC. Unfortunately the only realistic fix is to RMA it and have the techs reflash it for you. In the future, the best way I've found is to put the ROM file on a USB stick formatted for FAT32. I haven't bricked once that way.

Good luck with your RMA. If there's a Asus ASP center near you, and the techs there have a EEPROM burner, maybe they can do it for you fast.

CyberCorsair
06-16-2011, 11:15 AM
I just did the same flash and no issues use winflash from with in Win 7 .. No issues so far. All worked fine.. ,But I will keep and eye on it..

magma7247
07-07-2011, 05:22 PM
no good news :(
I ordered and replaced the bios and the laptop shows power light on and the fan spins for 2 second and then stopped, that's it.

the technician replaced two bios both pre-programmed , one with 211 and another with 213 , none of them working
the technician said he suspecting the video card has problem.
anyway, as everyone know, no way to get new motherboard.

so I want to say thank you Asus for f****d up my $3000 customized laptop.
I wonder how they can manufacturing laptops and they don't know how to program their own bios.

Alienware I'm coming.
Asus, go to hell with your stupid stealth crap.

xeromist
07-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Are you not able to RMA it? Seems like such a waste.

Chastity@ASUS
07-08-2011, 02:58 AM
no good news :(
I ordered and replaced the bios and the laptop shows power light on and the fan spins for 2 second and then stopped, that's it.

the technician replaced two bios both pre-programmed , one with 211 and another with 213 , none of them working
the technician said he suspecting the video card has problem.
anyway, as everyone know, no way to get new motherboard.

so I want to say thank you Asus for f****d up my $3000 customized laptop.
I wonder how they can manufacturing laptops and they don't know how to program their own bios.

Alienware I'm coming.
Asus, go to hell with your stupid stealth crap.

The mistake you made was flashing from the BIOS and reading the ROM file from the C: drive. The EZ Flash BIOS tool will brick if reading from a NTFS partition. It's been mentioned many times on several forums to always use a USB Flash stick formatted for FAT32 when using EZ Flash.

On the bright side, bad flashes are covered on your warranty. If your local tech cannot program the EEPROM BIOS with 213, then he's doing something wrong because that's how they fix this issue in the RMA place. I would call for Asus 360 service and prolly have it back in a week.

magma7247
07-08-2011, 03:59 PM
thanks Chastity for your reply, but let's think logic here, I always updating same laptop bios in the same way, file on C: NTFS drive. then EZ Flash from BIOS.

BUT, if updating the Bios from file saved on NTFS will harm, why the EZ Flash tool allow me to see the file on the drive and also allow me to pick up the file and flash it without any warning ! ?
I did what I did many time on the same laptop and in the same way, but let me remind everyone, most of G73JH owners face the Keyboard Light Failure After BIOS Flash 209 , everyone did the flashing in many different way, but all faced this problem, is it our fault as users ?, or the brilliant manufacture which releasing cheep programmed files to the public without testing it deeply by pro people.
I called many time Technical Support and RMA 812-282-2787 and 888-678-3688, no one answering.
since my last post I'm searching the net for powerful non Asus laptop, I'm seeking Screen 17and up, cpu I7, VCard 1.5gb and up, and two HDD bay and RAM up to 16gb.

I need it for 3D designing and after effect, if you know any, please drop me a line
I’m very sorry to say I’m writing from my second ASUS laptop U36JC, I thought it’s powerful, But god forbid that I will think to update the Bios. from now on I will use it as NETbook just for browsing

BTW, the G73JH I have, I will not sell it for parts, after the pain I've been through I'll use G73JH to make a very bad AD on YouTube and other site, just to slap Asus

Chastity@ASUS
07-08-2011, 09:02 PM
The KB Light failure issue was being generated by people using an earlier WinFlash version, which was corrupting a setting, which is fixed by a posted fix in the stickies. Just flashing from 209 doesn't kill the lights. :)

As for EZ Flash, I can probably count about 2 dozen people who bricked their machines this way since April just on NBR. The most current version of WinFlash can be used to flash your BIOS, but I've always preferred the BIOS Tool. And statistically, you have a better than average chance of bricking your BIOS reading the files from a NTFS partition. (I bet it has something to due with the 8+3 vs Juliet crap) Some have done so successfully, but it still is a crap shoot, and you got it unfortunately. Using a USB drive on FAT32, I've done 54 BIOS flashes on about 30 laptops, and they've never bricked, nor have they lost their KB lights.

As for the G73JH, you can blow it up on a YouTube vid, or you can RMA it to the facility and they will reflash it or replace the mobo. Then you can sell it and get your new laptop with the proceeds.

Mason@ASUS
07-13-2011, 01:33 AM
thanks Chastity for your reply, but let's think logic here, I always updating same laptop bios in the same way, file on C: NTFS drive. then EZ Flash from BIOS.

BUT, if updating the Bios from file saved on NTFS will harm, why the EZ Flash tool allow me to see the file on the drive and also allow me to pick up the file and flash it without any warning ! ?
I did what I did many time on the same laptop and in the same way, but let me remind everyone, most of G73JH owners face the Keyboard Light Failure After BIOS Flash 209 , everyone did the flashing in many different way, but all faced this problem, is it our fault as users ?, or the brilliant manufacture which releasing cheep programmed files to the public without testing it deeply by pro people.
I called many time Technical Support and RMA 812-282-2787 and 888-678-3688, no one answering.
since my last post I'm searching the net for powerful non Asus laptop, I'm seeking Screen 17and up, cpu I7, VCard 1.5gb and up, and two HDD bay and RAM up to 16gb.

I need it for 3D designing and after effect, if you know any, please drop me a line
I’m very sorry to say I’m writing from my second ASUS laptop U36JC, I thought it’s powerful, But god forbid that I will think to update the Bios. from now on I will use it as NETbook just for browsing

BTW, the G73JH I have, I will not sell it for parts, after the pain I've been through I'll use G73JH to make a very bad AD on YouTube and other site, just to slap Asus

Sorry you weren't able to get a hold of our tech support agents. If you PM me with your serial number, I will set up an RMA for you to get the issue resolved ASAP.

mgrankin
08-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Hi Chastity, I have a g73 jh and bios 205. Could you tell me the advantages of upgrading to213?? I have 213 pm a usb stick formated fat32 but very cautious about pulling the trigger after reading this thread

Chastity@ASUS
08-16-2011, 02:32 AM
Updated BIOS supports the latest ATK versions for proper keyboard control, plus has all the fixes introduced in 209. Also the fans will ramp up faster to keep the system cooler.

tshong
11-07-2011, 07:43 AM
Wow. This happened to me too. I updated via USB stick to 213 using EasyFlash in bios, but after the G73JH erased, reflashed, verified, and rebooted on its own, the screen is now stuck on black. I called support and they said they are going to charge me for an RMA to fix the bios.

Now that is just plain stupid and poor support for Asus.

I used Asus tools to updated Asus firmware from the Asus website. It even verified the data and rebooted itself. I agree with OP, if Asus tools break their own bios procedure why provide it on the website? Or what is the point of the "verify" portion of bios flashing if it is prone to fail..

This is terrible design and most horrible support.

JRd1st
11-07-2011, 10:39 AM

I haflway agree.

Did you format the flashdrive to fat32 format, first?

tshong
11-07-2011, 02:54 PM
I haflway agree.

Did you format the flashdrive to fat32 format, first?

I'll answer your question with a question:

1. Go to Asus Official website for the BIOS:
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G73Jh&p=3&s=252
2. Do you see ANYwhere it says if your loading from USB, it must be FAT32?

When I buy a laptop, I shouldn't have to come to a forum first. If I use Asus' EasyFlash program with Asus BIOS from their own website, is it my fault that the EEPROM is corrupt?

I'm downright disappointed that I should be financially CHARGED at any level for this Asus issue.

I'm going to visit an ASP Center today. It's dumb stupid I have to pay for shipping, then serviced charged, then wait a week for my laptop to come back. I might as well just pay for it at an ASP Center.

My next laptop will not be an Asus and I will not promote this brand anymore.

380mcn
11-07-2011, 03:22 PM
you are absolutely right! i flashed with winflash because that's what's in the support site!
i got lucky TWICE because i didn't brick my g74 . went to v202 and then v203..

tshong
11-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Wow.. As Chastity suggested, I'm physically at an Asus ASP in LA. They are refusing to rework my laptop since it is out of warranty.

This is the worst support ever. Stupid Asus putting a Bios on your website breaking my $1200+ laptop????????

BrodyBoy
11-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Is your G73 still under warranty, tshong?

tshong
11-07-2011, 10:18 PM
No it's no longer under warranty. It was broken because the USB was not in FAT32 partition.

You see I did not use 3rd party software nor did I pour coffee on my own laptop. I don't see this being fair at all. I dont see why a customer would be held liable for Asus own procedure to upgrade the Bios.

From beginning to end, I downloaded from Asus official website to use Asus official EasyFlash and it bricked my G73 because the USB was not FAT32 (again no where is it mentioned when I downloaded the Bios)

Asus broke my laptop by providing a Bios for customers to update. Now they are going to charge me for RMA? Then the Asus ASP say they will charge me too if it is out of warranty!?

I hate you Asus. -___-