PDA

View Full Version : G75VW-TS72 Power Issues

Slayer706
12-06-2012, 05:38 PM
I've had this laptop for about four months now and it has been great for gaming. I've had two issues with it though, and I am wondering if I should start talking to ASUS about getting it checked out.

The first issue isn't very serious, but it's pretty annoying. Sometimes the laptop will power itself back on after I shut it down. For some reason, it acts like I told it to restart instead of shut down. This happens roughly one out of every three shut downs. Another weird thing about this is that if I close the lid before it cuts itself back on, it will boot up but the screen will not turn on. You can hear the Windows boot-up sounds, but the screen will stay black. I have to hold the power button to turn it off.

The second issue is much more serious, but a lot more rare. The laptop will just turn off. No BSOD or anything, it just cuts off like the power was pulled from it. The battery was in and fully charged, plus the AC adapter was plugged in. It has done this twice in the few months that I've owned it. The first time happened in October and I thought was a fluke, but it happened again last night. I don't believe this is a heat issue, as I was merely streaming a YouTube video in both cases. The laptop is always on a flat surface with plenty of room behind it for exhaust. My house is a little dusty, but I keep the fans and vents clean. I can game for hours at a time, so I would think if it was heat I would be having this problem more often.

Any advice on these issues? And does anyone have any advice on dealing with ASUS support? Do they tend to be helpful, or am I going to have to jump through hoops?

cl-scott
12-06-2012, 06:30 PM
The first issue makes me think that you have a sticky power button. As you say, a minor issue grand scheme of things, but certainly annoying. The second part of the first issue is a little odd, and could be a sign of a deeper issue, but more than likely the internal control logic is just getting confused. If you boot the unit with the clamshell closed, it will default to external video, and at a certain point it may just kind of fall into a condition where the assumption is you're running with only an external display.

If it is the case you have a sticky power button, odds are the issue is only going to get worse. Given you have the luxury of time, I'd start making any preparations you may need to ship the unit off for an RMA. Then send it off for an RMA. So given the holiday season is nearly upon us... If you enjoy spending time with your family, maybe you could afford to send it off a little ahead of the holidays. If you dislike spending time with your family, then maybe wait until AFTER.

The second issue... I wouldn't say it's a waste of time to test the AC adapter with a multimeter if you have one and the know how, but given that Flash has never really been the most reliable software, and Adobe taking over ownership of it hasn't helped at all, it's difficult to dismiss the fact that it happens when watching YouTube videos. If you can ever replicate the issue with some other software, then it's probably something to look into. For now, maybe just try disabling the hardware acceleration on Flash, which seems to be kind of hit or miss on individual computers.

Slayer706
12-06-2012, 07:09 PM
I agree with your assessment of the first problem. A sticky power button is something I didn't consider, and it switching to external video with the lid shut makes sense. Now that I think about it, a sticky power button could actually explain the second problem too.

As for the second problem, I know how to check AC adapters. I will check it, but I don't think it will do much good considering the shutdown only happened twice in a four month period and the adapter seems to be charging the unit correctly. Turning off the hardware acceleration in Flash could help too, but I won't really have a way of knowing since the issue is so rare.

I think I will go ahead and prepare it for an RMA. I don't really need the laptop right now, but next month I am going on a business trip and I will need it for gaming in hotels. Do you know how long the typical RMA takes and if there is a cost to me? Would I need to remove the SSD that I installed before shipping it?

Thanks for the fast and helpful reply. The laptop has been really awesome aside from these issues. It plays all my favorite games on max settings and is lightning fast.

Quasimodem
12-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Closing the LID with make it Hibernate... I get a BSOD everytime I come out of Hibernate... In only started happening after loading the .211 BIOS... The Random shutdown issue and unable to power on. I would check the button and the ribbon connector... Voids your warranty...

Slayer706
12-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Closing the LID with make it Hibernate... I get a BSOD everytime I come out of Hibernate... In only started happening after loading the .211 BIOS...I tried turning off hibernate and sleep mode in the power options for the lid, and it didn't help at all. I don't think it's an issue with those.

The Random shutdown issue and unable to power on. I would check the button and the ribbon connector... Voids your warranty...Yeah, if this was a cheaper laptop I would try to fix it myself. One this bulky and expensive though? No thanks, I will let ASUS deal with it as long as it's under warranty.

Quasimodem
12-06-2012, 08:07 PM
I tried turning off hibernate and sleep mode in the power options for the lid, and it didn't help at all. I don't think it's an issue with those.
Yeah, if this was a cheaper laptop I would try to fix it myself. One this bulky and expensive though? No thanks, I will let ASUS deal with it as long as it's under warranty.

Good luck man...

Pitcher@asus
12-07-2012, 03:39 AM
hi, did you send back to ASUS for RMA now? have kind of problem at BIOS 211 before version?
did you check your power button key?

cl-scott
12-07-2012, 05:48 PM
I agree with your assessment of the first problem. A sticky power button is something I didn't consider, and it switching to external video with the lid shut makes sense. Now that I think about it, a sticky power button could actually explain the second problem too.

As for the second problem, I know how to check AC adapters. I will check it, but I don't think it will do much good considering the shutdown only happened twice in a four month period and the adapter seems to be charging the unit correctly. Turning off the hardware acceleration in Flash could help too, but I won't really have a way of knowing since the issue is so rare.

I think I will go ahead and prepare it for an RMA. I don't really need the laptop right now, but next month I am going on a business trip and I will need it for gaming in hotels. Do you know how long the typical RMA takes and if there is a cost to me? Would I need to remove the SSD that I installed before shipping it?

Thanks for the fast and helpful reply. The laptop has been really awesome aside from these issues. It plays all my favorite games on max settings and is lightning fast.

I think the average is ~2 weeks for an RMA, but there's obviously some variations depending on a number of factors. There are a few other factors as well, but if you want to send it in ahead of a planned trip, then probably the sooner you get it in the better.

As for the SSD... That's kind of up to you. The repair center should have a few drives laying about they can use for testing, but sometimes it's helpful to have the customer's OS exactly as they had it. When I did repair work, even though software issues weren't covered, if I could figure out and solve a software issue within 10-15 minutes, I'd do it anyway. You could always split the difference by cloning the SSD to the original HDD.