PDA

View Full Version : Cannot install windows 7 on G75VX

house7
12-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Hi guys, really need some help here, I just bought a G75VX which came with a 750GB SSH and a 500GB HDD. I took out the 500GB HDD and installed a INTEL 330 240GB SSD.

Now I just want to install Windows 7 on the SSD and have it dual boot with the Windows 8 that came with the laptop on the 750GB SSH, but I've tried everything and nothing works, including installing it through booting from the DVD (this was a nightmare in itself: figuring out the UEFI stuff and making it boot properly, changing my SSD to GPT etc). I've tried installing it within windows 8 onto the SSD, but the setup process breaks when the setup asks for a restart, which restarts me to the boot selection of "windows setup" OR "windows 8" and if i pick "windows setup" it says signiture error or something and I had to remove this boot option from MSCONFIG.

I've since given up on installing windows 7 and just want to move my windows 8 to the SSD, and so I tried to create a system image onto the SSD and it keeps giving an error saying that the target destination doesn't have enough space when it clearly does have enough space (55GB required and SSD has 233GB free).

Any ideas guys? Either on how to dual boot with windows 7 or just moving windows 8 across?

Thanks in advance!

Fire
12-08-2012, 12:58 PM
YOU must DISABLE UEFI boot otherwise nothing will work.

In the boot options, look for entries that say UEFI boot and change them to the same but without the UEFI

GPT partitions are the biggest headeache and the worst thing to come to a computer. Once disabled, everything will work flawlessly

which BIOS version do you have so I can guide you on how to disable UEFI boot

house7
12-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Hi Thanks for the quick response...

I don't even see any UEFI settings in my BIOs, mine says version 203...

also does this have anything to do with why i can't even make a recovery image? I was reading the manual that came with the laptop and it says there is a recovery partition (which i can see is about 20GB). It says to use it you have to press F9 during boot and select windows setup and asus preload wizard and all that, but I don't get any of those options when I press F9...it just goes to a few windows 8 options...strange...

Fire
12-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Hi Thanks for the quick response...

I don't even see any UEFI settings in my BIOs, mine says version 203...

also does this have anything to do with why i can't even make a recovery image? I was reading the manual that came with the laptop and it says there is a recovery partition (which i can see is about 20GB). It says to use it you have to press F9 during boot and select windows setup and asus preload wizard and all that, but I don't get any of those options when I press F9...it just goes to a few windows 8 options...strange...

If GPT partitions are enabled then you cant make any image/backup that is why

the UEFI boot is right at the top in the boot menu d00d, set it to disabled

if you still dont find it, update your BIOS ill show you where it is

house7
12-08-2012, 01:22 PM
what version should I update it to?

I am serious there are no UEFI options on my BIOS

house7
12-08-2012, 01:26 PM
oh and when you say if GPT partitions are enabled I can't make images...is that for the target drive? cos my current windows 8 drive is GPT as well...it came from the shop like that

house7
12-08-2012, 01:35 PM
ASUS site only has the 203 version BIOS for download...

rewben
12-08-2012, 01:43 PM
house7, can you follow this guide (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25726-Downgrading-from-windows-8-to-7&p=194744&viewfull=1#post194744) to unlock the restrictions? this is mainly for fresh install, because i am not sure if this worked for moving windows 8 across, but for the right cloning software, you could refer to this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?26175-Help-with-Windows-8-transfer-on-G75).

as for the dual booting, i think it's better to do a fresh installs of both, first windows 7, then windows 8.

house7
12-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Hi rewben, yeah I can do that and have done that before...and I have installed windows 7 like that before but it won't dual boot, and windows 7 won't boot properly either as it will boot into a blank screen or the blue screen of death. I had another laptop which had a nice windows 8 dual boot screen letting me choose which windows to boot into, I want to make it like that if possible.

house7
12-08-2012, 01:50 PM
I now just want to know how I can transfer my current windows 8 on the SSH to the SSD I installed....

rewben
12-08-2012, 01:57 PM
oh, please tell us how you managed to get both OS's working? i think many are doing dual booting these days. that might help them a bit.

house7
12-08-2012, 02:09 PM
I didn't get it working....I want to get it working...

rewben
12-08-2012, 02:30 PM
wait, Fire. this is a g75vx, not a vw. vx has a different version of bios, and to my knowledge they have different hardware also. putting in a bios from a vw might not be a good idea.

house7
12-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Yeah, mine is a G75VX not VW, that's good info though Fire, I wonder if there's something similar for the VX, I don't see those options in my BIOS

rewben
12-08-2012, 02:58 PM
house7, what i meant was, as you said you had a laptop that ran a dual boot nicely, so how did you do that on that laptop?

tkolarik
12-08-2012, 04:52 PM
The first time I installed Windows 8 after Windows 7 in a dual boot mode, there were some crazy screens at boot up selection time. First there would be a Windows 8 logo the selection tiles like you find in Windows 8 to choose the boot OS, after selecting the OS then about 20 seconds later I would get a second boot menu, the standard bcdedit menu. The choices would be different depending on what OS I was in previously.

I would suggest only installing the OS with one drive in the computer and then use "esc" key or Easybcd to chose what OS to boot into.

Fire
12-08-2012, 04:59 PM
oh sorry I didn't notice you have a diff. laptop. dont install the bios I posted obviously but look for something similar in the options thorugh a bios update for YOUR laptop

timppu
12-08-2012, 08:29 PM
YOU must DISABLE UEFI boot otherwise nothing will work.

In the boot options, look for entries that say UEFI boot and change them to the same but without the UEFI

GPT partitions are the biggest headeache and the worst thing to come to a computer. Once disabled, everything will work flawlessly

Sorry off-topic (I'm also talking about G75VW, not VX).

It seems indeed quite messy and hard to comprehend. Yesterday I was unable to reinstall Win7 from the ASUS recovery DVDs I had made before, nothing helped. The recovery DVDs worked fine with BIOS v207, but not now with v221.

After that I downloaded fresh Win7 Home Premium 64bit installation ISO from Microsoft pages and decided to try it instead (using the Win7 product key from the license sticker from the bottom of my G75). Bam, it installed itself beautifully. BIOS gave me two boot options for the Win7 DVD, apparently UEFI and non-UEFI. I chose UEFI option and had no problem whatsoever, it automatically created a GPT partition and installed itself there.

Next I am going to try again the Win8 Pro upgrade installation on the second HDD. Earlier when I tried it, it didn't want to install itself to a GPT disk, but created a MBR itself and only then installed itself. I'd prefer GPT because it is more futureproof, ie. if I ever want to replace the boot hard disk with one over 2TB capacity (MBR disks can be only 2TB or lower).

I have no idea why this Win7 ISO installs fine to GPT, but the Win8 Pro upgrade wouldn't. Very odd.

Ps. Is there some connection between GPT => UEFI and MBR => non-UEFI? So is it so that you cannot install on a GPT disk without UEFI?

gcm_rukawa11
12-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Hi Dude,

I managed to get it installed with Win7 but have devices without compatible drivers. Cannot clear the USB and Wireless exclamation from device manager. Any 1 has links for win 7 drivers will be helpful.

rewben
12-09-2012, 08:52 AM
@gcm_rukawa11,

for usb 3.0, can you try the USB 3.0 driver from Intel (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3467&DwnldID=21129)?

for wireless, i assume you have the Atheros WIFI. you can try to use the one for g75vw (http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g75vw/)

i run fine with the usb 3.0 driver on my g55/w7.

edit: since you've a g75vx, could you please enlighten us on how you install your nvidia gpu driver? house7 seemed to have a problem doing that.

house7
12-09-2012, 11:51 AM
ok i've finally got both OSes working....not the best Dual boot scenario (have to go into BIOS to change boot sequence everytime i want to boot into the other OS) but at least they both work....

gcm_rukawa11
12-10-2012, 08:44 AM
Hi House7,

Which drivers did you use for Win7?

Hi Rewben,

Windows is able to detect the drivers for the graphics card thru drivers update under device manager.
For wireless, I tried using drivers for G75VW but it seems incompatible.

rewben
12-10-2012, 09:19 AM
gcm_rukawa11, can you try this one (http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargement/atheros/wifi/atheros_wifi_10.0.0.216-w7-8(www.station-drivers.com).exe)?

alternatively, you could also try to disable driver signature enforcement higlighted here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?26155-Complete-Solution-Installing-Windows-7-Drivers-onto-Windows-8-G75VW-(and-others)).

house7
12-10-2012, 09:43 AM
hi gcm, I used the g75vw's atheros drivers like the one rewben linked and that worked for me.

house7
12-10-2012, 09:44 AM
anyone got any idea on how to reinstall windows 8? my laptop didnt come with a windows 8 disc

streLi
12-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Hi,
How did you install the GPU drivers ?
I can't install Power4Gear and the GPU drivers on win7
Thx

rewben
12-16-2012, 04:22 PM
streLi, read gcm_rukawa11's comment above.

frg62
12-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Sorry off-topic (I'm also talking about G75VW, not VX).

It seems indeed quite messy and hard to comprehend. Yesterday I was unable to reinstall Win7 from the ASUS recovery DVDs I had made before, nothing helped. The recovery DVDs worked fine with BIOS v207, but not now with v221.

After that I downloaded fresh Win7 Home Premium 64bit installation ISO from Microsoft pages and decided to try it instead (using the Win7 product key from the license sticker from the bottom of my G75). Bam, it installed itself beautifully. BIOS gave me two boot options for the Win7 DVD, apparently UEFI and non-UEFI. I chose UEFI option and had no problem whatsoever, it automatically created a GPT partition and installed itself there.

Next I am going to try again the Win8 Pro upgrade installation on the second HDD. Earlier when I tried it, it didn't want to install itself to a GPT disk, but created a MBR itself and only then installed itself. I'd prefer GPT because it is more futureproof, ie. if I ever want to replace the boot hard disk with one over 2TB capacity (MBR disks can be only 2TB or lower).

I have no idea why this Win7 ISO installs fine to GPT, but the Win8 Pro upgrade wouldn't. Very odd.

Ps. Is there some connection between GPT => UEFI and MBR => non-UEFI? So is it so that you cannot install on a GPT disk without UEFI?
Hello,

I would like to install Win7 on my G75VW-T1432H (it came with WIn8), preferably with GPT partitions.
I have an original Win7 DVD install DVD with genuine serial number, but after trying for hours, it still will only install it on NTFS partition.
I guess this DVD is too old (It is the very first release!)...

Could you please give me the link you used to download your ISO from Microsoft Pages, or how to get there.
Thanks in avance!

rewben
12-17-2012, 05:22 PM
frg62, w7sp1 home premium (http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso)

frg62
12-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks a lot! :cool:

DAN16M
12-29-2012, 11:21 PM
is anyone having trouble with installing drivers for the network controller on windows 7? ive used the drivers rewben provided and they start to install only to say that the the device has been disconnected re-insert the device. I can see the network adaptor in device manager but with out drivers it doesn't do any thing. any ideas?? thanks

emurach
12-29-2012, 11:41 PM
When doing my dual boot Win7sp1 64bit/Ubuntu 12.04LTS work, I discovered something. The CD/DVD you install might have a EFI boot sector. Normally when you boot a CD/DVD it loads from the NON UEFI P2 Matshuta drive in bios. Which is not a the UEFI drive. Yes you can load stuff but not into UEFI. IE: install UEFI OS. Bottom line whats this mean.

When you load a the Windows 7 or Ubuntu 12.04 CD/DVD in the drive let it fully spin up. A new CD/DVD/BLUERAY boot option that is not there when the disc is not in the the drive appears in addtion to the original drive in BIOS. Of course it's not select to boot from in your settings. You never seen it. Press ESC with the Win7Sp1 disk in the drive and select boot device when the laptop boots up. You choose UEFI Matshuta cd/dvd/blayray drive off the menu.

Side notes: For all those trying to use the Windows 7sp1 disc ( Its got the UEFI Boot sector) you must boot off the UEFI option or it won't be able to run disk repair. The repair will crash off the P2 Matshuta option.

frg62
12-30-2012, 07:53 AM
is anyone having trouble with installing drivers for the network controller on windows 7? ive used the drivers rewben provided and they start to install only to say that the the device has been disconnected re-insert the device. I can see the network adaptor in device manager but with out drivers it doesn't do any thing. any ideas?? thanks
FYI, you do not need to use ASUS approved drivers to install the components.
Standard drivers works fine (not like with Sony Vaio or HP computers!).

Therefore, all you need is to identify the make and model of the component you wish to install, and go to he constructor's website, and download the appropriate drivers.

Personally, I had no trouble installing these drivers when installing Windows 7 on a G75VW that came with Win8 preinstalled.

Another tip: there is a website that will help you identify and keep your drivers up to date.
It is in French (sorry, you might need a translator opened in a side window...), but really easy to use.
It loads a module that will detect all the components, the drivers, and will propose the available updates, with download links.
It is available from here :
http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=29

All you need to do there is click on "Lancer la détection" (= Launch detection), then follow the instruction to install the module.
Here is how the result will look:

I have been using this website for years, it really is a time saver!