PDA

View Full Version : I need help with my ThunderFX and RCA input

Paradoxium
12-08-2012, 03:10 PM
I want:

TV > 3.5mm headphone audio out cable to RCA audio IN at the rear of the ThunderFX > Cable between the "headset" port on the front of the ThunderFX to the "Aux In" port on the front of my speakers.

Will this work? The speakers built-in to my TV are not very good, this will surely give me better audio after passing through the ThunderFX and then into my good PC speakers?

This is my TV: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/tv-80-32-lcd/kdl-32ex503/technical-specifications#tab
These are my speakers: http://uk.store.creative.com/speakers/gigaworks-t40-series-ii/4-18021.aspx

When I want audio from my TV, would I change the knob to "PS3", because that = the RCA input?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I seem to have an issue with the ROG ThunderFX software. If I "tick" the headphone icon to enable the headphones, when I click it again to un-tick it, it does not work.. If I want the sound to come out of my speakers again, I have to go into Windows sound options and change the default output device. Is this a known bug? is there a fix?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, pressing the "lock" icon to lock the sound levels does not work. I have tried unlocking it and locking it, but the volume is still able to be adjusted despite the "lock" being on.

I am using Win7 64bit, if that helps.
Also, the audio settings like "give applications control of this device etc" are all checked in my sound options, so I don't know what the problem could be unless it's simply a driver issue.

I have tried the drivers from the website, aswell as the windows 8 beta drivers and the same thing happens.

And a final quick question which is probably an obvious "yes", but I just want to check, I should set the sample rate to 192khz (the highest) and 24bits for the best audio quality, correct?

Paradoxium
12-09-2012, 02:47 AM
Is there nowhere I can get official support for this?

Paradoxium
12-10-2012, 05:01 PM
bump.

Do any Asus guys check these forums at all or are they completely user-self-help things? Is there a support email I can send this to? How do I forward these bugs to the right people that can fix them?

_
12-11-2012, 03:21 AM
PS3 = RCA
Xbox 360 = RCA + 360 voice in

I can't understand your TV need sorry.

The lock just locks left-right channels, not the sound level absolutely.

There is a bug on the headphone and mic check boxes, I've fed this info back thanks.

Sound is 192/24.

Paradoxium
12-11-2012, 03:26 AM
I can't understand your TV need sorry.

Can you tell me what it is you don't understand?
If you tell me which part of this isn't clear I can try to explain better.

Edit: Here I drew I diagram I hope this helps:
http://i.imgur.com/WEqt7.png
In order for this to work, would I have to change the knob on the front of the ThunderFX to "PS3" so that it accepts input from the RCA cable?

There is a bug on the headphone and mic check boxes, I've fed this info back thanks.

Thank you. Will this make it in for the up-coming Windows 8 release or will it be a patch after that?

_
12-12-2012, 01:48 AM
Patch afterwards. We're already waiting for the Win8 one to go through WHQL certification which is taking a few weeks. The link in the other thread is basically the same one without the rubber stamp for Windows.

About RCA: Yes, it requires either 360 or PS3 to use the RCA input (iirc). Here's what the TFX gets in the box: http://rog.asus.com/131532012/maximus-v-motherboards/what-is-the-thunderfx/

Paradoxium
12-12-2012, 01:51 AM
Thanks for the reply again.

One final question with regard to the ThunderFX, does it work in conjunction with the on-board audio on the motherboard (SupremeFX?) or is it separate entirely as it uses USB?

When not using the ThunderFX for either my headset for gaming, or the RCA input from my TV (PS3), should I use the on-board audio connectors for all other audio, or is the ThunderFX better than the SupremeFX on-board audio? (if it does not work in conjunction with it).

Thanks for clearing this up and reporting the bug.

_
12-13-2012, 03:36 AM
With regards to your picture, it should work, but because I think the TV maybe doing some sound processing to output to the 3.5mm jacks, so the quality can't improve beyond what is input to the ThunderFX. The diagram will work however.

The ThunderFX has its own sound chip and it works independent of the motherboard audio over USB. ThunderFX SNR is slightly better than onboard because it's isolation is better and it has space for the de-pop relays. But TFX is optimized and only supports Stereo, whereas your onboard will handle up to 7.1. You can switch between onboard and TFX in Windows sound control.

Paradoxium
12-13-2012, 09:52 AM
Thanks, I realize the TV sound may not be optimized by the ThunderFX, but it will give me a way to connect it to my speakers easily, which are much better than the speakers on my TV (presumably, since flat-screen TV speakers are generally bad) right?

I could skip the ThunderFX in my diagram entirely and simply connect the 3.5mm audio out on the TV to the 3.5mm aux-in on my speakers, but with the ThunderFX in the middle I have the convenience of being able to switch between PC and TV (PS3/RCA) audio input, right?

My PS3 is also connected to my TV via HDMI, so when using my PS3 it will work the same way, as the audio will be coming out of the 3.5mm jacks > ThunderFX > good speakers, correct?

Thanks for helping me clear this up.

Paradoxium
12-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Ok. I have my setup exactly like this image now:

It doesn't work. I change the knob to PS3 to enable the RCA input to work, but there is no audio coming from my speakers. It just doesn't work. I changed the settings on my TV to output to the 3.5mm headphone jack, of course. Still does not work.

I tried plugging the cable from the ThunderFX to the Aux-in on my speakers directly into the rear intput of my speakers and it still doesn't work.

Help please? I don't see why this shouldn't work. The only thing I can think of is that it is a driver issue and is not changing to the "PS3" mode when I change the knob, just like the tick-boxes not being able to be un-checked once checked.

Edit: Just to make sure, changing the knob from PC to PS3 or XBOX should stop the audio from PC should it not? Because when I change it from PC to either of the other two, I still hear PC sound. Is this another software/driver issue?

_
12-14-2012, 03:41 AM
Thanks, I realize the TV sound may not be optimized by the ThunderFX, but it will give me a way to connect it to my speakers easily, which are much better than the speakers on my TV (presumably, since flat-screen TV speakers are generally bad) right?

I could skip the ThunderFX in my diagram entirely and simply connect the 3.5mm audio out on the TV to the 3.5mm aux-in on my speakers, but with the ThunderFX in the middle I have the convenience of being able to switch between PC and TV (PS3/RCA) audio input, right?

My PS3 is also connected to my TV via HDMI, so when using my PS3 it will work the same way, as the audio will be coming out of the 3.5mm jacks > ThunderFX > good speakers, correct?

Thanks for helping me clear this up.

The input on the ThunderFX remains the same whether you use your PS3 or TV since the output is always from the TV. The only switch you can do is if you have a HTPC/PC over USB and TV/PS3 connected to the AUX input. The drivers are only for the USB and when you switch it from one input to the other the TFX hardware switches input and ignores the other.

Paradoxium
12-14-2012, 08:32 AM
The input on the ThunderFX remains the same whether you use your PS3 or TV since the output is always from the TV. The only switch you can do is if you have a HTPC/PC over USB and TV/PS3 connected to the AUX input. The drivers are only for the USB and when you switch it from one input to the other the TFX hardware switches input and ignores the other.

OK, so what's the problem then, why doesn't PS3/RCA input work?

Paradoxium
12-17-2012, 09:51 AM
So has anyone with the ThunderFX actually managed to get RCA input to work at all? I have tried directly connecting my PS3 using the PS3 RCA cable to it and i'm still not getting any audio when the knob is turned to "PS3". Is my unit faulty or is this a software bug?

Paradoxium
12-19-2012, 12:48 AM
bump, still can't get this to work.. any ideas...anyone? does nobody else have the ThunderFX or what?