PDA

View Full Version : Retina Macbook Pro

siddique305
12-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Does Anyone Have A Retina Macbook Pro ?

Siddique

chrsplmr
12-09-2012, 02:38 PM
There was just an exhaustive thread on this .. The outcome/conclusion was .. the only + on the
whole thing was the screen and the OS has 'some' (this is debatable yet.) 'art' advantages ..
Other than that .. standard fare ... if it didn't have Apple stamped on it, it would be about $500.

Off Topic ? Sorry. No. I don't.... Why ? .c.

john_from_ohio
12-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Does Anyone Have A Retina Macbook Pro ?

Soon ... will be my traveling machine ... an absolute beast!

Think of the G75VW as an elephant and a retina macbook pro as a leopard ... plenty of room in my jungle for both animals!

chrsplmr
12-09-2012, 02:54 PM

Think of the G75VW as an elephant and a retina macbook pro as a leopard ... plenty of room in my jungle for both animals!
++Well said bro .. c.

siddique305
12-09-2012, 05:37 PM
There was just an exhaustive thread on this .. The outcome/conclusion was .. the only + on the
whole thing was the screen and the OS has 'some' (this is debatable yet.) 'art' advantages ..
Other than that .. standard fare ... if it didn't have Apple stamped on it, it would be about $500.

You Are Correct My Brother Exactly Correct :)

Siddique

jdotjdot7
12-09-2012, 06:02 PM

Uhm, think of a G75 as a Rhino, and the Macbook pro as a donkey. The rhino is big, powerful, and can truck through everything. The macbook pro (donkey), could be decently fast, if the company didn't stupidly manufacture it with a 650M that is always overclocked by 50, solder everything together, and put it in a tiny case where a mediocre GPU has to run a 2880x1600 Screen. So the donkey might be capable of being fast too but it has all the luggage on it so it cant without overexerting itself. Now go buy a 15.6" MSi with a 680m or something, that would be your leopard.

in fact, even though the processor is weaker than the i7 in the G75s, the Graphics card in this will smack any other GPU into oblivion, and it only costs $1200. http://msi.com/product/nb/GX60.html

I still prefer ROG though, they have the best cooling available, and while they sacrafice some things, everything is up to a igher standard, plus it looks killer too.

Daylife
12-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Retina Macbook Pro = Biggest waste of hard earned cash. lol

mrwolf
12-09-2012, 07:12 PM
lol i just cant stand the OS and UI.. Absolute Bollox if you ask me ! :p

jdotjdot7
12-10-2012, 07:09 AM
lol i just cant stand the OS and UI.. Absolute Bollox if you ask me ! :p

Can't stand the company. They make their money by lying to their consumers non-stop. Especially with the old Mac vs PC ads. Even their newest desktop line has laptop parts inside of it, why not just buy a laptop then, the whole point of getting a desktop is to have more power, breathing room, upgrade/change-ability. The new iMac neither has power, breathing room, nor upgrade/change-ability. Yet it will still sell under the lie that it is better than a Windows PC.

trust7
12-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Buying a mac is totally a waste of your cash.

Zygomorphic
12-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Can't stand the company. They make their money by lying to their consumers non-stop. Especially with the old Mac vs PC ads. Even their newest desktop line has laptop parts inside of it, why not just buy a laptop then, the whole point of getting a desktop is to have more power, breathing room, upgrade/change-ability. The new iMac neither has power, breathing room, nor upgrade/change-ability. Yet it will still sell under the lie that it is better than a Windows PC.

+rep! That is exactly why I never consider a Mac. The Mac that had specs slower than my G53SX when I bought it 14 months ago cost $2200. My G53SX which I have upgraded to be even better is $1500 all told. Not to mention the better cooling, which widens the performance gap markedly. The quad-core Macbook Pro's have horrible heating problems, because they use a tiny fan in a cramped space with a 45W processor. Duh!

As to Apple's marketing strategy, any time MS tries it, the courts are all over them for trusts and anti-competition actions. Apple manages to get away with suing over ostensible copy-right infringement, but they only do it after Samsung becomes one of the biggest smartphone players, and the one whose products are beating Apple. It is about time that a judge sided for the right and told Apple no, that their suits were frivolous and without merit - slap with a big fine for wasting judicial resources.

finalhour
12-10-2012, 08:24 PM

^HAHAHA My thoughts exactly :-) Well said sir.

jdotjdot7
12-11-2012, 01:16 AM
@Zygo, yep, the problem is that Apples marketed so much that they've brainwashed to determine quality by advertisements. Samsung is a non-US company so they didn't have the home field advantage like Apple. However, in the UK, and Korea, and a few other countries, they've won and a UK judge told apple they had to put a disclaimer on their website saying Samsung did not copy them. Apple was bitter about this so tried making it sound like Samsung couldnt copy them because they aren't good. The judge, seeing how childish this was, told them to fix it. They have yet to. However, Samsun makes the RAM, Screens, and Batteries on the Macbooks and they've just cut off Apple, presumably to screw them over by them not being able to find a high quality manufacturer like Samsung who will manufacture the products they sue them over.

Zygomorphic
12-11-2012, 01:50 AM
I think this says it all, @jdotdot7.
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/apple-tax-americas-costly-obsession-1C7535330

Myk SilentShadow
12-11-2012, 02:05 AM
I think this says it all, @jdotdot7.
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/apple-tax-americas-costly-obsession-1C7535330

All I can say after having read that is...."idiots"

Zygomorphic
12-11-2012, 02:43 AM

Same here...

Shawnnepc
12-11-2012, 02:51 AM
Those people in that article have waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy toooooo much disposable income.

"Oh my God, do I have to total it all up?" asks Martorana, 40. "It's so depressing. I'd say we spent at least $5,000 on all that stuff, including $700 in the past year alone. I totally have a weakness. I fell in love, and that was it."

I wish I could afford to totally lose track of $5k and at the end of the day go "Oh well, silly me"

Myk SilentShadow
12-11-2012, 02:57 AM
Those people in that article have waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy toooooo much disposable income.

"Oh my God, do I have to total it all up?" asks Martorana, 40. "It's so depressing. I'd say we spent at least $5,000 on all that stuff, including $700 in the past year alone. I totally have a weakness. I fell in love, and that was it."

I wish I could afford to totally lose track of $5k and at the end of the day go "Oh well, silly me"

Yeah I completely agree with you mate, it's ridiculous at how willing these people are to just drop that much cash to have the latest junk. Hell I couldn't even afford to buy my Samsung Galaxy SII 4G upfront...I had to get it on a "plan" with my Telco.

jdotjdot7
12-11-2012, 02:58 AM

Yeah, and the odd thing is the people who spend that much dont even need a $2000 computer.

I got an iPad for free from my college, gave it to my dad so he could check his e-mail, that thing is such a joke.

Zygomorphic
12-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Yeah, and the odd thing is the people who spend that much dont even need a $2000 computer.

I got an iPad for free from my college, gave it to my dad so he could check his e-mail, that thing is such a joke.

Yeah...I know two people personally who own high-end macbook pros and actually use them. They also aren't particularly Mac fans, and they run Windows most of the time. I looked at a Mac before I got my G53, but the price difference was too much. Not to mention the low-end Macbook Pro 15" had a 256 MB Gfx card. Are you kidding me!!!

Daylife
12-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Guys guys........You need to remember that a Macbook Pro is the best Facebook machine LOL, most people that i know that have one they literally use it only for Facebook.

I fell for the Apple trap back in 08 i believe and i spent $1.9k, i cant tell you right now that it was the worst $1.9k that i have ever spent.

john_from_ohio
12-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Guys guys........You need to remember that a Macbook Pro is the best Facebook machine LOL, most people that i know that have one they literally use it only for Facebook.

I fell for the Apple trap back in 08 i believe and i spent $1.9k, i cant tell you right now that it was the worst $1.9k that i have ever spent.

Everyone's different ...

The crowd I hang with includes a bunch of serious high end database geeks.

While a bunch of people are into the social networking stuff ... nobody there just buys an expensive machine just for facebook.

Everyone's different ... and I would love to see asus/rog deliver some additional high end display options ... personally.

Woots
12-11-2012, 08:56 PM
As far as advantages of retina display... if you are in market for good displays look into buying a high quality "IPS" LCD screen. These are what "retina" displays really are without the apple terminology.

Long Story short "Retina Display" is basically a high resolution IPS LCD screen (since screens come in all resolutions, they use highest end of resolution spectrum for their "retina" displays)... most high quality IPS screens like those from dell are high resolution too. So if you are a fan of retina it can be had outside of apple world.

Mac Book Pro Retina displays use 2 different manufacturers for their IPS screens....they are specifically LG AH-IPS and Samsung PLS

Dell is most popular IPS LCD screen maker... I am a digital artist and in my world Dell IPS screens are pretty much standard purchases for people who are proffesional artists....good ones will run around 1,000 bucks... but if color accuracy and resolution are important to you it's a great purchase.

If you buy "generic" no bells and whistles korean models... you can get similar sized IPS LCD screens off ebay for around 400 bucks. They are typically lower resolution IPS panels and have poor connection options and no OSD... but savings is huge.

Here is a Dell U2713 27"
(This is their latest model which uses the new AH-IPS panel motioned above)
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=225-4148&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch
2560 x 1440 resolution.

Here is a cheaper version of that same monitor with a few less bells and whistles.. but same panel quality
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=225-4015&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

Here is a Samsung PLS 27"
(Their version of IPS, also mention above)
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS27A850DS/ZA
2560 x 1440 resolution.

Out of these 2 panels get the Dell U2713 without a doubt it's the better of the 2 panels. Samsung PLS is their own unique version of IPS technology and while it's good quality the AH-IPS is better.

Daylife
12-11-2012, 09:16 PM
True, but go to an Apple store and look around........ 80% of the people there are clueless and buy whatever the apple genius guy sells them lol.

john_from_ohio
12-12-2012, 12:27 AM
True, but go to an Apple store and look around........ 80% of the people there are clueless and buy whatever the apple genius guy sells them lol.

So how much time do you spend hanging out in apple stores and rating each customer exactly?

Zygomorphic
12-12-2012, 02:24 AM
Everyone's different ...

The crowd I hang with includes a bunch of serious high end database geeks.

While a bunch of people are into the social networking stuff ... nobody there just buys an expensive machine just for facebook.

Everyone's different ... and I would love to see asus/rog deliver some additional high end display options ... personally.

There are some who know why they bought Macs, and in my experience, they tend not to be the Mac fanboys either. They tell you that they like the UNIX core and want to support the Mac OS. Also, they want a machine that is light (which is true, at the cost of heat generation).