PDA

View Full Version : Asus G55VW - Random Lag Spikes for Games (Dota 2, LoL) Skyrocket to 2000+ ms

shflabstract
12-10-2012, 02:24 PM
I just recently got a Asus G55VW not too long ago (a month old) from http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=70924. The problem, however, is that even though I can run games like Dota 2 on maximum settings at low ping below 50, I will always at some point randomly lag spike up to 2000+ ms and this ping eventually then drops back to normal. My default network card that came with laptop is Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network, but I decided to switch to a Wifi USB Adapter (Belkin N300 Micro Wireless F7D2102).

NOTE: I have already had McFee Anti-Virus uninstalled from my computer at the start.

Here are the specs:

System Model: G55VW
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 12.0 GB
System type: 64-bit OS
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 660M 2.0GB

I am really unsure what the issue is, since I have tried switching to different USB Adapters, resetting my router, etc, but the problem still exists. Any help is appreciated!

wantedzai
12-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Hmm...seems like we got the same problem...I'm a Dragon Nest SEA Online player...experiencing same spike...any online game will randomly freeze like 1 sec...in any random moment...at 1st I thought it was gpu driver or OS problem...tried many version of driver still same...tried both windows 7 & 8...still same...kinda weird, my old laptop with weaker GPU doesnt have this problem.

dstrakele
12-10-2012, 05:35 PM
I'd recommend troubleshooting with DPC Latency Checker. There may be drivers on your systems causing the lag.

@shfl - did you uninstall your Atheros wireless adapter and driver from Device Manager prior to installing the Belkin? Be sure to test the Belkin driver with DPC Latency Checker.

shflabstract
12-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Yeah, its really unfortunate to encounter this problem which I have no clue what's going on, though I am sure it lies on my networking side and not the computer itself.

@dstrakele - The default networking card Atheros is still on my laptop, as I simply installed the Belkin driver as a secondary wireless connection. Would having 2 wireless connections conflict with each other even though I would mainly be connecting to one, while the other is off?

dstrakele
12-10-2012, 08:51 PM
There could be a conflict between the two wireless drivers. Uninstalling one while monitoring with DPC Latency Checker will help determine if that is the case.

shflabstract
12-11-2012, 02:03 AM
Alright thanks, I will check it out!

shflabstract
12-11-2012, 05:20 AM
Hi again,

So I just downloaded the DPC Latency Checker and to my surprise it gives me the message that "Some device drivers on this machine behave bad and will probably cause drop-outs in real-time audio and/or video streams. To isolate the misbehaving driver use Device Manager and disable/re-enable various devices, one at a time. Try network and W-LAN adapters, modems, internal sound devices, USB host controllers, etc."

The graph shows NUMEROUS red and yellow spikes going to 1000-2000us. Is there any indication of what drivers I should turn off to fix this problem? Thanks!

Here is an image:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=501et1&s=6