PDA

View Full Version : Performance Tip for AMD GPU users for stutter/lag

Chastity@ASUS
06-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Microstuttering and laggy playback is an all-too-known issue with any gaming system, and some good people on the net have come up with a possible issue with AMD installs:

AMD installs a service to write to the Event Log called ATIeRecord. If your event logs are huge and/or fragmented, then this service will record while you are gaming, and the recording lag from bad fragmented system files will hammer your performance with lags and stutters.

The fix?

Disable the service. :)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Atierecord]
"eRecordEnable"=dword:00000000

Set to "1" by default which enables it.

Clearing out the event logs is the only known way to defrag the log files, and NVIDIA users can experiment with this as well.

When a system is fresh, the log files are small and so record quickly, however, over time, they bloat and indexing these files are slow, and high priority according to the OS. This is why your games slow down because of this.

BladeZero
06-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Go I'm guessing just right click, click modify, and set the Value Data to '0'?

Chastity@ASUS
06-13-2011, 08:35 PM
yessir

Bmac20
06-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks Chastity. Quick question: Do I need to also set the erecordenablepopups to "0". Also is there a way to clear the log files that have been stored up to this point, or does setting the value to 0 clear all log files that have been stored up to this point etc?? Thanks again.. BTW I visit your G73 resource page almost daily :-)

FlyingFalcon
06-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Does this work for nvidia too? I've started noticing minor stutters while playing mafia 2, cod mw2 and nfs got pursuit 10.

Chastity@ASUS
06-25-2011, 01:34 PM
No, since you don't have the ATI app installed. :)

For microstutters, you can try updating your HDD firmwares, and also try removing the battery pack, and run on AC only. Let me know how it goes.

FlyingFalcon
06-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Wogay. Thank you Chastity.

slickthug
07-04-2011, 06:19 PM
i want to keep the service but just clear the log files
is this possible and how?

Chastity@ASUS
07-18-2011, 06:16 PM
The log files still exist. You can go into Event Manager and clear the logs there.

BladeZero
08-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Performance logs were fixed with the Official 11.7 Catalyst drivers.

midihooker
10-17-2011, 03:57 AM
Microstuttering and laggy playback is an all-too-known issue with any gaming system, and some good people on the net have come up with a possible issue with AMD installs:

AMD installs a service to write to the Event Log called ATIeRecord. If your event logs are huge and/or fragmented, then this service will record while you are gaming, and the recording lag from bad fragmented system files will hammer your performance with lags and stutters.

The fix?

Disable the service. :)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Atierecord]
"eRecordEnable"=dword:00000000

Set to "1" by default which enables it.

Clearing out the event logs is the only known way to defrag the log files, and NVIDIA users can experiment with this as well.

When a system is fresh, the log files are small and so record quickly, however, over time, they bloat and indexing these files are slow, and high priority according to the OS. This is why your games slow down because of this.

how do i find this?? get there i mean.. RUN service and search only gets me to local..im a musicmaker :)

midihooker
10-17-2011, 11:05 AM
regedit, i found it!

midihooker
10-17-2011, 11:08 AM
aha.. it was for amd cards..

JRd1st
10-17-2011, 11:11 AM
" Clearing out the event logs is the only known way to defrag the log files, and NVIDIA users can experiment with this as well."

Yeah, but there may be something similar for nvidia cards, too.

midihooker
10-17-2011, 11:25 AM
aha... i been tweaking regedit all night long.. touchpad is now perfect.. with sudden glitches of course.. i put the GTX to sleep when i run my DAW.. but they really need to fix this..

JRd1st
10-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Everyone says if you open your laptop and remove the tape and adhesive on the touchpad that fixes the problem. I wonder if that, somehow, would also remove that awful latency you have. It would be interesting....

midihooker
10-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Everyone says if you open your laptop and remove the tape and adhesive on the touchpad that fixes the problem. I wonder if that, somehow, would also remove that awful latency you have. It would be interesting....

yes... i will check that vid on youtube again..

JRd1st
11-10-2011, 07:04 PM
If you want a really quick way to clear your event logs add these 3 lines to a text file, save it as Clear Event Logs.bat, put it someplace safe and you can even put a shortcut to it on your desktop.

wevtutil.exe cl Application
wevtutil.exe cl Security
wevtutil.exe cl System

Just dbl-click on the shortcut and your done.